INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI, SPDIF or light - and what card?  (Read 1603 times)

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
HDMI, SPDIF or light - and what card?
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:38 pm »

Hi

My setup is that several different devices, a HTPC running Windows7 x64 and JRiver 18 beeing one of those, is connected to my receiver - a Marantz SR7005. Other devices connected to the receiver is a HDTV-tuner (Loqal/Get in norway), X-Box and WII. The Marantz 7005 is again connected to a quite decent 5.1 setup (External amp, nautilus 803++).

Currently my connection from the HTPC to the receiver is currently trough my screen cards HDMI connection. I'm using WASAPI event style. This seems to be working quite OK - but quite often it seems as if the sound card in the computer is unable to handle the bit depth wanted by JRiver - causing JRiver to give a warning about this and convert to lower bith-depth or resolution.
I have a Asus Xonar ST with H6 soundcard available that I'm currently not using (earlier on I have used analog out from the HTPC as well - but that was before I got the receiver). Going back to using analog out from the HTPC and into the receiver is not an option.
(It might be an option to try out for stereo music - but that is a completly different topic and not what I want to discuss here)

I would very much appriciate input on what you folks think is the best way to digitally connect the HTPC to the receiver and what hardware you would recommend to use for the suggested connection.

Best regards, TEK

mykillk

• World Citizen
Re: HDMI, SPDIF or light - and what card?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:43 pm »

Using HDMI from your video card to your receiver works excellent. I find HDMI very much preferable over any other option when connecting to a receiver.

As for your bit depth issue, go into the DSP studio, then to output format and select 24-bit (with dithering), or 16-bit if you do not have 24-bit support. This will ensure all your audio content is converted into a format that you can handle. Lots of audio content is stored in 32-bit but, as far as I know, no sound devices actually support native 32-bit output.
Pages: [1]   Go Up