INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 gets a mention on anandtech  (Read 1265 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
MC18 gets a mention on anandtech
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:21:24 pm »

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6674/getting-the-best-out-of-a-ivy-bridge-htpc-windows-8-madvr-and-more/8

UI a few notches down on XBMC??

A few frame drops with ROHQ and Intel HD4000 iGPU.

SBR

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC18 gets a mention on anandtech
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:35:44 am »

For an AnandTech article, I find it a little bit dissapointing mainly because it is lacking detail.

He's not listing the settings for LAV or madvr on which the benchmarks are taken (well, default scaling algorithms; he should have just listed them in a table or something).

I mean its great he's spending more time with MC18 and even recommends it over other solutions like XMBC when it comes down to playback quality but I expect him to get into the gritty details when something does not work as expected. He mentions dropped frames with MC18 but he should have dived into LAV and Madvr settings and compare them to the settings the other combinations run with. As it stands now that statement is meaningless. He should have compared the settings, listed them and compared playback benchmarks between applications with the same settings. Then when you have dropped frames with MC18 and not with the other applications you have something meaningful. Stuff like that is what I've come to expect from AnandTech but this article leaves much to be desired if you ask me.

UI a few notches down on XBMC??

I tend to agree but that could soon change  ;D.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:24:18 am »

I agree, the article lacking quite a bit of accuracy and details, instead focuses on useless details like 5% differences in power consumption depending on which codec you use - that could've been dealt with in maybe two sentences...

In a couple of places its even wrong, either because of outdated facts or just plain wrong assumptions. Usually expect more from AnandTech.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:50:40 am »

I agree, the article lacking quite a bit of accuracy and details, instead focuses on useless details like 5% differences in power consumption depending on which codec you use - that could've been dealt with in maybe two sentences...

In a couple of places its even wrong, either because of outdated facts or just plain wrong assumptions. Usually expect more from AnandTech.
If you have any easy corrections, send them to me (jimh at) and I'll forward them to Ganesh.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up