INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image files re-import - not as expected  (Read 1011 times)

apostos

• World Citizen
Image files re-import - not as expected
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:14:21 pm »

I just cleared out all of my images files – deleted/no recycle. I kept the folder.
When I re-imported all of my image files most (if not all) tagging was incorrect.
I’m sure this is because of my naming scheme – Image File-1.jpg, Image File-2.jpg, etc., etc., etc.

A few of the files don’t display properly in Theater View (either because the Lightroom export or the MC import) so I’ll need to reimport those. I just want to replace those files and keep the naming process intact.

What would be the correct way to do this in MC?

Also … how long does tag data persist even though the file has been deleted from MC and computer? Any way to remove that information in case I decide to erase and reimport again?

apostos

• World Citizen
Re: Image files re-import - not as expected
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:12 am »

'Bump' ... especially this part.

Also … how long does tag data persist even though the file has been deleted from MC and computer? Any way to remove that information in case I decide to erase and reimport again?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:02:49 pm »

It is not clear to me what you're asking outside of "How do I import files", but I think you know the answer to that.

Your tagging is lost of course when you delete files if metadata was not written out to the files.  Many tags are not written to image files (keywords are by default).

When you permanently delete items from MC's library, the metadata goes with it to the digital black hole.

When you soft delete, you're removing items from MC's library, but references are maintained in a generally hidden database called the Removed database.  This is so MC can avoid re-importing those, and so that you can quickly move those entries back into your main database with metadata should you decide to re-import them.

You can clear out entries from the removed database manually if you want.  Or you can manually import files to override the auto-import's Don't reimport files already deleted setting.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:22 pm »

Is this
Removed database
accessible/editable?

I thought I had the Media Import settings set correctly. Looks like it's back to the drawing board!

Thanks for this.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:46:11 pm »

Create a Smartlist.  Add, using the dialog that appears after you click the Import/Export button, the following:

~d=r

and you can now select / delete any entries you want permanently deleted from MC's library.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:08:30 pm »

Excellent!

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up