INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Splashtop J River question  (Read 1492 times)

julius_the_cat

Splashtop J River question
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:13 am »

Splashtop and J River 18 installled on Computer Audiophile music server v3 Lagoon. Using JRemote (01.12.13 download), it will freeze often. After this occurs, when I sign in to the server from Splashtop, it appears J River is attempting to send to the client computer rather than the USB output on the server.

Are there settings in J River, Splashtop or Windows 8 Pro to address this?

Regards and sorry I could not locate answer with search.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Splashtop J River question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:03 am »

Welcome to the forum.   Why is Splashtop involved?  If you can describe your setup a little more, it might help.

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:38:26 pm »

About a year ago I used Splashtop from my iPad to control MC on my PC. Worked really well, but I didn't reinstall it when I did a clean install more recently, mainly to minimise the installed programs on my HTPC, but also out of laziness!

I assume you're using splashtop because you access the PC without a monitor.

There is, I'm pretty sure, a setting in Splashtop to not divert the audio to the client. I seem to recall that setting the audio of MC to the exact output device you want to use rather than 'Default windows device' or whatever it's called also helped in my case. I think this was because I tended to 'remote' into my HTPC with the receiver off (which should be the default audio device) and because windows saw a new audio device in splashtop it reverted to that as default (presumably because it could find no other).

Anyway, it's been a long time since I fiddled with splashtop and it may have all changed by now!

SBR

julius_the_cat

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:56 pm »

I assume you're using splashtop because you access the PC without a monitor.

There is, I'm pretty sure, a setting in Splashtop to not divert the audio to the client. I seem to recall that setting the audio of MC to the exact output device you want to use rather than 'Default windows device' or whatever it's called also helped in my case. I think this was because I tended to 'remote' into my HTPC with the receiver off (which should be the default audio device) and because windows saw a new audio device in splashtop it reverted to that as default (presumably because it could find no other).

Yes installed Splashtop for just occasional access into the headless unit.  I think I will probably just uninstall it and connect a monitor,mouse&keyboard for now.  This install has been a disaster from day one. 

The USB output device (not the default device) on the server is selected in J River and also is the Windows default device.  I hope eventually to disable everything else.  Most of the time the USB DAC is connected and on when the JRemote freezes.  Not sure if it's Windows or J River or Splashtop that is making the decision to send the output to the client default device (which of course can't process the 24bit 96kHz files) which stalls my music.

Just hoping for a quick fix.  Else it's goodbye splashtop... 

Thanks very much.

julius_the_cat

julius_the_cat

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:25 pm »

Uninstalled splashtop and switched to Teamviewer for the occasional need to access the server.  I did discover however that at least part of the problem was elsewhere.

I use a SOtM tX-USBexp  USB 3.0 PCI express card ouput into a Ross Martin DAC.  The DAC powers the TI DIX9211 USB receiver and the SOtM card has an external switch for the USB 5V rail, which I toggle off.

J River (and Windows) see the DAC just fine when it is on and it is the default audio device.  However when I power the DAC off, it confuses WIndows (at least when Splashtop was in place) which starts looking an audio device to decode 24bit files and then crashes.

FWIW.  For now I just have to remember to turn the DAC on prior to starting playback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up