INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC plays randomly after I press Pause  (Read 1444 times)

andrewt

• World Citizen
MC plays randomly after I press Pause
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »

I just noticed this today, as I seldom use the Pause button, but I was listening to a track, paused it, switched windows to Firefox, and it started playing after ~5-10 seconds. I paused it, switched windows, and the same thing happened again. I paused it again, and it was OK for a few minutes. I then went to eat dinner, and when I came back it was on the last track--it had played the whole album. I'm using the latest version of MC.

It may or may not be relevant that I have an HP DV600 series laptop with media shortcut buttons (play, pause, ff, etc). However, I didn't hit any keys while this was happening, as I would have noticed the sound they make.

I will try to isolate this a little bit by restarting and disabling the shortcut buttons, and whatever else I can think of. In the meantime, does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC plays randomly after I press Pause
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:55:25 pm »

What audio output mode are you using?  Could you try WASAPI - Event Style or ASIO (with the option to play silence on pause enabled)?

Is it possible your housemate is sitting in the other room with a remote and messing with you?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:53 pm »

I'm using ASIO with no changes to the audio other than replaygain, and I will let you know what happens with the play silence on pause option.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »

Next time it starts playing by itself, turn around really really fast and see if someone is hiding behind you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:54 pm »

When MC "unpauses", does it act like it is unpaused, or does the UI stay "paused" but the music plays?

Not that I've ever seen such a thing, just curious.  Also, you said your laptop's media keys "make a noise".  Do you mean a system sound (ala a Macbook's volume up/down click)?  I wonder if they have some crappily coded custom keyboard driver that is doing some misbehaving?

Try figuring out what process controls the media keys (or their auxiliary "fanciness") and kill it.  Just to see if it might be related.  There might be an update, or a simple reinstall might help, if so.

Another thing, that has actually happened to me, now that I think about it...  Does the HP have an IR sensor for an included remote (or optional maybe)?

My Macbook Pro does, of course.  And when I take it under certain fluorescent lighting the media control goes nuts (I've found a few, CFLs and Tube-style, lamps that'll do it).  Usually, it continuously turns the volume down until it hits minimum.

It isn't all or most lights that trigger it, and I think it might depend on the particular bulb age too, as it seems to go away (or come back, maybe).  I know it has happened to me in my basement man-cave before, which has a CFL overhead, but not lately.  Anyway... I'm throwing out ideas here.  I didn't look up the laptop model myself, so...?

What audio output mode are you using?  Could you try WASAPI - Event Style or ASIO (with the option to play silence on pause enabled)?

Is it possible your housemate is sitting in the other room with a remote and messing with you?

Back when it was easier to remote connect to most people's iTunes libraries with an iPhone (hardly anyone's were password protected, and if they were, they were often super-simple passwords), it was fun to do this when you'd go over to people's houses.

"Hey, can I get on your wifi?"

Sweet.  (Check iTunes copies on the network... No password or same password?  Excellent.  Save this for later.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:09 pm »

Next time it starts playing by itself, turn around really really fast and see if someone is hiding behind you.

It seems I am being haunted by the infamous Un-Pausing Ninja  :o

When MC "unpauses", does it act like it is unpaused, or does the UI stay "paused" but the music plays?

Not that I've ever seen such a thing, just curious.  Also, you said your laptop's media keys "make a noise".  Do you mean a system sound (ala a Macbook's volume up/down click)?  I wonder if they have some crappily coded custom keyboard driver that is doing some misbehaving?

Try figuring out what process controls the media keys (or their auxiliary "fanciness") and kill it.  Just to see if it might be related.  There might be an update, or a simple reinstall might help, if so.

Another thing, that has actually happened to me, now that I think about it...  Does the HP have an IR sensor for an included remote (or optional maybe)?

My Macbook Pro does, of course.  And when I take it under certain fluorescent lighting the media control goes nuts (I've found a few, CFLs and Tube-style, lamps that'll do it).  Usually, it continuously turns the volume down until it hits minimum.

It isn't all or most lights that trigger it, and I think it might depend on the particular bulb age too, as it seems to go away (or come back, maybe).  I know it has happened to me in my basement man-cave before, which has a CFL overhead, but not lately.  Anyway... I'm throwing out ideas here.  I didn't look up the laptop model myself, so...?

Back when it was easier to remote connect to most people's iTunes libraries with an iPhone (hardly anyone's were password protected, and if they were, they were often super-simple passwords), it was fun to do this when you'd go over to people's houses.

Sweet.  (Check iTunes copies on the network... No password or same password?  Excellent.  Save this for later.)

I don't remember if the UI stays paused or not (aaah it just did it again and I forgot to check!!!), but I will check right after I look for the secret ninja... I will restart and kill the hotkey process after I finish writing this. They do make a system sound, not a Windows sound though.

It does have an IR sensor for the remote, which never seemed to work when I wanted it to... I suppose when I kill the hotkey process that will be disabled to...

I have yet to venture into the world of smartphones... I still like my phones free!  8)

Edit: The UI does act like it's unpaused, and it doesn't seem to have any relation to what I'm doing either... time to disable the media keys and see what happens.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:57:55 pm »

And, PS, if I ever come to a house with a running copy of MC...  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up