INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC freezes during disk spin-up  (Read 1399 times)

andrewt

• World Citizen
MC freezes during disk spin-up
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:35:37 pm »

I don't remember if this has always been the case, or if it is due to my recently maxed-out external hard drive, but MC freezes every time I do anything with it (switch to the open MC window, try to select something) after my external drive has spun down to save power. It freezes only during the spin-up, afterwards it's normal. Does MC do this with all hard drives or is something wrong?

I have all my music on a 2TB Hitachi USB 2.0 drive.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC freezes during disk spin-up
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:39:04 pm »

If MC has to read from the drive, and the drive is sleeping, it has to wait for the drive to awake.  I typically only see this during a resume after pausing playback for a long time, or when I switch views after not using MC for a while and the view contents are not cached.

If it needs the data from the disk, MC has to wait for the disk to respond.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:42:44 pm »

Does yours freeze during that time or does it still respond?

(PS I voted for you in the "most helpful" poll--you've helped me out quite a few times--thanks!)

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:50:41 pm »

Thanks!  I enjoyed the reward of your vote today.  I wish you could have been there to enjoy the 2nd one.

MC freezes for me during the disk spinup.  I've gotten used to it, so just wait the 20 seconds until the disk is ready.  These green drives are pretty slow, so waiting is the price we pay for green(er) computing.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »

Aw man, looks like I'll have to wait until they come out with a 2TB SSD   ::) Sometimes I wonder if everything really has to be so efficient... at least I still have my single-ended, class A, vacuum tube guitar amplifiers to make up for it! A waste of power has never sounded so good...

And speaking of good, those steaks look delicious! You deserved them!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:42 pm »

MC freezes for me during the disk spinup.  I've gotten used to it, so just wait the 20 seconds until the disk is ready.  These green drives are pretty slow, so waiting is the price we pay for green(er) computing.

Yeah, here too.  It can help substantially if you do two things:

1. The Library itself likes to be on a fast disk.  An SSD if you can manage.  This is the biggest thing.  (I don't mean the media, but the MC Library.)
2. If your media lives on a slow disk of some kind, this option can make a big difference:

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up