INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to use JRSS with active XO system  (Read 2272 times)

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Want to use JRSS with active XO system
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:05 am »

I have been running an active XO system (Audiolense, Acourate) with great success for a while now. What i miss is the capability to use JRSS processing. Especially upmixing of 5.1 content to 7.1

I have 24 output channels selected. It would be great when by enabling JRSS it would automatically upmix 5.1 content to 7.1 streams. In such a setup JRSS can automatically assume 7.1 physical speakers. The final channel routing is done via convolution (or PEQ) anyway.

Feature suggestion: When using >=12 output channels (therefor most likely using an active XO system) JRSS work likes in an 7.1 system when enabled (therefor 5.1 -> 7.1 upmixing is enabled)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Want to use JRSS with active XO system
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:42:47 pm »

So you really just want a "7.1 channels (inside 24 channel container)" choice?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:21:32 pm »

Exactly Matt. That would be great. Right now JRSS is not usable for users with active XO systems (>8 output channels).

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:30:06 pm »

It would be nice to have Output Channels and mixing channels as 2 separate choices. I think this would enable you to get rid of the (inside x channel container). You could then select 24 channels, but 5.1 mixing.

Instead of a drop down box, the mixing could be an entry box. This would let you put in whatever you need such as 2.0, 4.0, 5.1, 6.1, etc.

I really like the Audiolense method of specifying physical speakers on one page, input channels with another page, and output channels with a third page along with the ability to label everything to match your system. This lets you basically do the following:

Speakers:  I have 5 speakers and 4 subwoofers
Input:  I want everything mixed to 5.1
Output Channels:  I have (1) Left bass, (2) left mid, (3) left tweeter, (4) center mid, (5) center tweeter, (6) right bass, (7) right mid, (8) right tweeter, (9) rear left, (10) rear right, (11) surround left, (12) surround right, (13-16) subwoofers

For this one would want to be able to at least select 16 channels with 5.1 JRSS mixing in JRiver.

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:16:20 pm »

Mojave,

your suggestion certainly is the best approach - I am just not sure what Matt thinks about further complicating the UI. I wouldn't do an entry box as it complicates things further - just two seperate drop down boxes: Mixing Channels (Source number of channels, 2.0, 2.1, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1) and output channels (2 up to 32).
This would be a very nice and clean approach indeed.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:32:45 pm »

I am just not sure what Matt thinks about further complicating the UI.
The trick to get Matt to implement features is to make a slightly more complicated suggestion and allow Matt to think he is coming up with an easier way. It works most times.  :P

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:26:04 am »

The trick to get Matt to implement features is to make a slightly more complicated suggestion and allow Matt to think he is coming up with an easier way. It works most times.  :P

I wish I could handle Matt as well as you do...  ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:23 am »

The trick to get Matt to...

Have you been talking to my wife ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:27:12 am »

After looking at the code, I believe 24 channel with JRSS enabled will mix the first eight channels to the standard 7.1 configuration.

Have you tried?

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:45:13 am »

Matt,

enabling JRSS with 24 channel output does nothing for me (perhaps it is changing the channel order of the Surrounds/Back Surrounds - I didn't check this). The point is I want to use JRSS to upmix 5.1 content to 7.1. Another application would be to downmix any stream to Stereo.

By following mojaves recommendation to have two drop down boxes would make the whole matter much more intuitive than it is now. 1) Select the format any input stream should be up-/downmixed by JRSS to. 2) Select the available output channels (in case digital XO is used).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 02:27:16 pm »

enabling JRSS with 24 channel output does nothing for me (perhaps it is changing the channel order of the Surrounds/Back Surrounds - I didn't check this). The point is I want to use JRSS to upmix 5.1 content to 7.1.

It does this.

I just picked 32 channel and stepped in the debugger.  It's mixing 5.1 to 7.1.

In other words, the first 8 channels will always comply to the standard 7.1 layout.  You'll use Parametric Equalizer or Convolution to take it from there.

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 02:43:55 pm »

It does this.

I just picked 32 channel and stepped in the debugger.  It's mixing 5.1 to 7.1.

In other words, the first 8 channels will always comply to the standard 7.1 layout.  You'll use Parametric Equalizer or Convolution to take it from there.

Matt,

sorry, I obviously didn't make my case very clear. It is about truly upmixing (as in matrixing) 5.1 content to 7.1. Simply changing channel layout is something PEQ or Convolution (with config file) are for.
The great thing about JRSS is to use it to generate matrixed back surrounds from 5.1 streams.

That's something neither convolution nor PEQ can achieve.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 02:52:06 pm »

sorry, I obviously didn't make my case very clear. It is about truly upmixing (as in matrixing) 5.1 content to 7.1. Simply changing channel layout is something PEQ or Convolution (with config file) are for.
The great thing about JRSS is to use it to generate matrixed back surrounds from 5.1 streams.

Again, it is upmixing to 7.1 now if you select 8 or more output channels with JRSS enabled.

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 03:13:07 pm »

So now I feel stupid, and not just a little bit... I am very very sorry Matt, you are right. I don't know how I missed that.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 07:09:31 pm »

Maybe the outputs like "24 channels" should be renamed "7.1 channels (inside a 24 channel container)"?

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 02:18:58 am »

I would like that - it is more intuitive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up