INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will editing tags translate across stand alone HTPCs?  (Read 1793 times)

VetMed

• Recent member
Will editing tags translate across stand alone HTPCs?
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:44:23 pm »

Running MC18 with one server and multi clients yielded a host of issues.  As long as I run each HTPC as stand alone and point each computer to my media server, I have no issues.  My question is if I edit tags on one HTPC will it also change the tags of all HTPCs; or, do I need to edit the tags on the server?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Will editing tags translate across stand alone HTPCs?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »

So long as you have Authentication enabled, and Sync changes set, you can update tags (generally) on the clients and the tags will propagate (eventually, I don't know how long it takes).  See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

VetMed

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:42 pm »

Thanks for the information.  Just to clarify information will flow from any HTPC back to the server(noted that MC18 is not running in server mode on my media server).

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »

So long as MC is running.

The server runs when MC is running.  The setting allows the server to continue to run when you close the MC UI.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

VetMed

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »

I am sorry if I seem obtuse.  But I do not run mc18 is server mode for when I do video performance suffers greatly for some reason.  Each HTPC monitors my Media server(hardware not MC 18 server mode) and I import each time a new batch of movies are added to my server. 

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:51 pm »

Thanks for the information.  Just to clarify information will flow from any HTPC back to the server(noted that MC18 is not running in server mode on my media server).

Not sure we got you right : to which library are your htpc connected ? if you run mc on the server (machine) and also on each htpc locally changes you do will remain local. To have all changes reflected the MC on your server needs to be the "main" database/library. + you enable the MC server under tools>option>network.
Then on each of your HTPC you open the library manager and select add a new library. You will then select the above mentioned library (running locally on your server). In doing so all your HTPC will have all latest changes you do from any of your htpc.

Does this clarify or help you see how MC is run in a server/client environment ? Am not sure this is new to you but your statement (noted that MC18 is not running in server mode) let me think that you actually only share the source files on the server and not the MC library holding the source files on the server

VetMed

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:19:54 pm »

Yes that does clarify.  I had that set up running great for a few months but all of a sudden I got jittery video and no longer could I select the DVD on the Client HTPCs.  By running each HTPC as a stand alone and importing the library from my Storage server, the video issues are no longer.  So I guess I need to change the tags on the server then re import the library

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:54 pm »

yes. If it was working all right I wonder if jittery (or stuttery) playback could have been produced because you run several htpc with import settings set to monitor folders on you server. This maybe saturates either the disc access on the server or your network...which in return might lead to jitter or choppy playback
EDIT also the more htpc's access the server the more the server needs to be sound storage and network-wise. If the server is always on one tend to have low power cpu's and with several hd's (maybe even using onboard raid) this will rapidly become a bottleneck inducing all kinds of playback issues on the clients. a beefy 256-512MB RAM dedicated RAID card does clearly help. That's what I experienced.

VetMed

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 08:31:46 am »

That's a thought.  The computer I use as storage is pretty beefy.  I only have 2 HTPC on at one time.  I am in the provess of moving the storage over to another computer and will try to run MC18 server again. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up