INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Krell or McIntosh?  (Read 11679 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Krell or McIntosh?
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:46:55 am »

I *may* get a new power amp, 2nd hand. I'm in no rush though. I just dumped my Rotel RB-980BX because it wasn't improving anything.

The choices I'm looking at are a McIntosh MC7106 or a Krell KST100. The Mac is a 6-channel power amp, the Krell is 2-channel.

Both are capable of driving my rather difficult Magnepans. I got the Rotel a couple of years back because the Denon receiver isn't really up to the job but it wasn't good enough either. I sold the Rotel last weekend.

A buddy of mine has a McIntosh MC150 on my old pair of MG3.5's. I really like how it sounds but I have no idea if that MC7106 is anywhere near the MC150 in sound quality.

With the Krell I don't think I can go wrong unless its broken, although I might prefer the KSA line. I'm not sure how much better it really is.

Any advise on these?

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Krell or McIntosh?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:59:49 am »

Hi Mouse, if the Maggies need a lot of current to make them really sing (which I suspect they do) and you like to listen at loud(ish) levels I would start by checking what each amp is capable of delivering, The Krell has an independent transformer per channel whereas it seems that the McIntosh has a single transformer shared by all 6 channels, would you ever use all 6 simultaneously?

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:01:15 am »

Krell.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:02 pm »

I know this is a bit off topic, but if I were to spend around $1K on a 2 channel amp (what I saw the used Krell listed for on-line), I think I would check out the Emotiva XPA-2 first - http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa2.  List is $799, 2 channel, 300w at 8ohm, seems to have good specs and from my reading (on their forum and other places) people seem to really like them.  Also, the best part is they have a 30-day trial period.  Get the Emotiva XPA-2, try it out, if you don't like it, send it back and get the used amp you want.  However, I would think it would do well as from looking at peoples signature lines on their forum, I found one person with Mag 3.6.  Also, I would like to hear your review of their amp.

I do not work for them, but I do have the MPS-2 (old 7 channel- 200w cage with each channel on it's own transformer - basically a 7 channel mono-block).  And while my MPS-2 is fine for now, in a few months I would like to upgrade my speakers and that my drive me to a new amp as well and would like your opinion an their newer/higher end equipment - if you are willing to give them a try.

Thanks,
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:01:27 pm »

Trying an amp from the U.S.A isn't easy since InflatableMouse lives in The Netherlands. With that said, I know someone selling the XPA-2 for $450.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Krell or McIntosh?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:28:25 pm »

I was under the impression that Emotiva had set up a distribution point in Amsterdam.  Maybe that is still n process.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:38:58 am »

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm not very technical when it comes to audio and electronics. I know very little about that. When I bought the Denon 4306 I sort of dismissed the current and power recommendations Magnepan gives. I realize these may be just rules of the thumb and there might be exceptions that work great that don't comply to these rules. Problem is, I don't know so I've decided to trust that bit of advise. Both McIntosh and Krell have earned their stripes, I've heard them plenty of times in the past, I know both brands well. Having said that, I'm a bit sceptical about this particular McIntosh model for the reasons micromecca pointed out, that's why I figured I'd ask here. The Krell is stable at 1 ohm delivering 800 watts. Not that I need 800 watts, but I do need the stability.

About Emotiva, when I see 300 watts @ 8 ohm and 500 watts @ 4 ohm I get skeptical and I don't believe its stable, and probably get less stable at 2 or even 1 ohm, if it can even handle that. See, I would think they'd be proud to mention it if it were, so the fact that they don't probably means it isn't ;).

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:15:30 pm »

The Rotel sounds a lot different from Mcintosh. Mcintosh is much smoother than the sound of Rotel.Krell is also a more refined sound. However, I would pick up an older Aragon amp instead of Krell. They were considered the "poor man's Krell." I've owned all of the Aragon models. I currently own Mcintosh MC501 monoblocks and have also owned quite a few newer Mcintosh amps. I have also owned the exact Rotel amp that you mentioned. Find a deal on an Aragon if it's not too much of a hassle to get it ship to you. It would offer very good performance and was once used a lot with your speakers because of its ability to drive low impedance loads. Much tighter bass than the Rotel. It's really a great amp. The 8002 is difficult to find but really a tremendous bargain. If you can't find it then seek out the 8008. Next I would consider the older models, the 4004 or 4004MKII. 4004 are very reasonably priced.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »

I think you should also consider some DIY stuff like Hypex N-core.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 08:31:00 pm »

Mcintosh is much smoother than the sound of Rotel.Krell is also a more refined sound.

Could you describe what you mean by "smoother" and "refined"?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 02:18:47 am »

I know exactly what he means, although I wouldn't exactly pick those words to describe it. I've compared my Rotel to a McIntosh MC150 with the MG3.5 Magnepans.

Thanks for the recommendation bulldogger, I'll look into those as well.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 11:39:54 am »

I'm assuming they are synonyms in this case and that they mean something like less harsh than the rotel.  And I'm having a hard time defining "harsh".

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:04:12 pm »

Its not harsh sounding, not at all. For what its worth I think the Rotel is probably one of the best bang for the buck amps you can get in that pricerange but obviously its not quite in the same league as a Krell or McIntosh. As far as I'm aware Magnepans are among the toughest loudspeakers to drive and the Rotel simply didn't do this any better than the Denon receiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up