INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is There Any Support At All For Good Old MJ 8 (& earlier etc) Anymore?  (Read 2494 times)

Rusty

• Recent member
  • Seek & Ye Shall Find ...

Hi - I've had no response what so ever to my post: "Can't Get mp3 or ape encoders to automatically unzip after re-installing my MJ 8"

Also none of the Skins (or Encoder links) work anymore & there used to be quite a fabulous array of designs & effort that went into all of that & now there's nothing = WHY?!

I paid for this very nice piece of software & very much prefer it to the new kid on the block ... but it seems that now it appears to be looked upon as just OLD & no longer relevant! It is thanks to MJ8 & all that came before it that you now have your latest & supposedly greatest.

What is one supposed to do when their old computer completely dies & they get a new laptop etc & want to install MJ8?

Why has the support & links been taken away for the older versions?

Any comments & help, very greatfully accepted ...

Rusty in OZ ?  :'(

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is There Any Support At All For Good Old MJ 8 (& earlier etc) Anymore?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:16:50 am »

Well, I highly recommend you to simply upgrade... Companys can't support older versions forever... or try the free media jukebox (based on MC14).
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:44:30 am »

As the support for such versions probably have been discontinued, you can't really expect JRiver to maintain web links years and years after the support stops. If they were supposed to keep such old software and it's references up to date, and update it to support new OS' and such, there would be a lot less time to develop new features. Which I believe very strongly wold be much worse for all the rest of us.

So, I would suggest to upgrade as well. Jukebox is built on MC 14, as sunfire7 mentions. And it does an excellent job with music only. But even that version will probably not work 100%. MC 18 IS the latest and greatest :) It's gotten a lot of features for music. you might miss out if you don't try it. And if this is not for you, I'm sure there is other options out there as well.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Rusty

• Recent member
  • Seek & Ye Shall Find ...
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:38:44 pm »

Hi & thanks for the comments but ...

As to the comment: Companys can't support older versions forever...

Why not? It depends on exactly what type of support you may be after. All I'm asking for is the automatic links that used to be there to be re-instated & enabled. It's an automatic machine operation that once re-established, would not personally inconvenience or involve anyone ... it just takes up a tiny wee bitty of server space!

I tried the latest version of MJ for some time but I much prefer the look, feel & options that MJ 8 offers ... It suits me far better.

Can JRiver please re-activate the MJ8 Encoder links & if possible the Skins links for MJ8?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:23 pm »

Time to learn about the Wayback Machine.

Really, the expectation that websites and servers should remain in perpetuity is unrealistic.  Foiks that want to stay on old versions of software need to learn to be self-sufficient after some reasonable time.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:10:45 pm »

If I have a working MJ8 (with the MP3 and MP3-vbr encoder files installed) on another network computer,

can anyone tell me if I can import the mp3 and mp3vbr encoder files from that install into a newer computer. Also, which files???

I also prefer the look and feel of the old MJ8 and would like to continue using it. I'll be happy to email as an attachment those encoder files to those who prefer MJ8 and cannot get them.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
The mp3 encoder problem
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:15:13 pm »

For those of you running MJ8 and need to install the mp3 encoder, here's some info:
I posed the question on a computer guru forum, "Doom9's Forum," and received the following response:
(BTW, I'm only semi-computer  literate, but my grand-daughter's boyfriend is visiting this weekend and he is a guru, so I'm going to challenge him to implement this reply). If any of y'all try it and it works, please let me know. I'll send results next week.

I don't know JRiver but seems your enc_mp3.mjp:

Code:

[Package]
Name=MP3 Encoder
Action=UNZIPDIR
Version=2.0.51
URL=http://www.mediajukebox.com/mj_data/plugins/enc_mp3.zip

[Action]
File1=*.*
File1Action1=COPY_PLUGINDIR
File2=enc_mp3.dll
File2Action1=REGISTER

have a old/wrong link: http://www.mediajukebox.com/mj_data/plugins/enc_mp3.zip (the file don't exist)

I try this link: http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/mj_data/plugins/enc_mp3.zip and I download enc_mp3.zip (a old lame encoder)

Then try edit (Notepad for instance) enc_mp3.mjp replacing the link.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 03:32:04 pm »

Fixed the URL, thanks for reporting it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up