INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Location of database file  (Read 4472 times)

sluizer

• World Citizen
Location of database file
« on: January 25, 2013, 11:53:56 am »

Is the location of the database file hard coded or can I specify where I want it to be? I would very much like to put it on the same external hard disk I use for my music files, as this would allow me to use MC whether or not I had my machine. I've looked around some in options and I can't find anything. Anyway, if I can change its location, how do I go about doing so?

Also, I've just gotten a new machine and want to put the most recent version of my database up on it. What is the best way to do so? The wiki talks about using a backup of the library to do this, but doesn't explain exactly how to go about doing so.

sluizer

• World Citizen
Re: Location of database file
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:16:23 pm »

Hey folks, I could really use some help on this.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:25:55 pm »

This is getting to be an old version now, so fewer folks will have it to test and verify.

There is not a single database file - rather a Library directory.  You can create and store a library in any location.

At some point, there were changes to MC that required a default library to be created in a standard location.  You can just do the above and use your own library where you want it.

Create a library backup with MC.  Create a new library, and switch to it.  It will be empty.  Now use MC to Restore the library you just backed-up.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:01:30 pm »

Thanks.

Before I saw your message, I did finally figure out how to restore the library I had backed up on my old machine to my new machine. (The library is on an external hard disk.) I did a restore from the backup and plugged in the disk and everything was there. I had used the "safely remove hardware" feature to remove the disk from the first computer before I attached it to the new computer.

However, whenever I try and replace a field in the database on the new machine, I get an error that tells me that the file is locked. I have tried this with 2 or 3 files and gotten the same error, which is only different in the file name. Here's an example:

Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only,
     and are not in use by other programs.

File locked: E:\Personal\Music\Aaliyah\Age Ain't Nothing But a Number\01 Intro.mp3

I have checked that the files exist (they clearly do, because I can play them in MC). I have checked that they are not read-only (by looking at their properties -- and the read-only box is NOT checked). I know they are not in use by other programs, since after this first occurred, I restarted the computer. Even after a restart, the problem persists.

I have no idea what's going on here. I have always been able to deal with a problem like this by restarting the computer, which resets all file locks.

Any suggestions?

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:51 pm »

Here's some additional information.

I have tested the situation and discovered that the changes I am making are actually showing up in the file. That is, the message seems to be in error. For example, if I change a comment (and that's the only change I make), shut down MC, and then look at the properties of the relevant file, the changed comment appears in those properties. Then if I start up MC and look at the track, the comment reflects what is in the file properties.

I am mystified by what's happening. Any ideas on (1) what's going on and (2) how to get rid of the error message?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 07:24:44 pm »

When you move a windows file system from one computer to another, the files are owned by the original user's ID.  So you, as a user on the new system, don't have permission for that "other" user's files.

You'll want to take ownership of the highest level folder and its files using Windows security.  How you do this will vary slightly depending upon the version of Windows and how you have security and sharing setup.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:51:47 pm »

When you move a windows file system from one computer to another, the files are owned by the original user's ID.  So you, as a user on the new system, don't have permission for that "other" user's files.

You'll want to take ownership of the highest level folder and its files using Windows security.  How you do this will vary slightly depending upon the version of Windows and how you have security and sharing setup.

Thank you very much. I'll try and figure that out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up