INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 & windows 8 - keeps installing [solved]  (Read 1452 times)

donberry

• Recent member
MC18 & windows 8 - keeps installing [solved]
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:46:39 pm »

Like an idiot, I upgraded my desktop to windows 8 a while back just because it was so cheap, figured I may as well learn it now. When I upgraded, I am thinking I had to reinstall Media Center, but it went without a hitch, even transported my MC key over for me.
great all is well.
This is a "garage" computer so I do not use MC on this computer all of the time, just a few times a week.
maybe every other time I try to open MC, it reinstalls itself. I was thinking it was just an update, but it does it all of the time, so unless they are issuing updates a couple of times a week, it is reinstalling itself.
I was just going to live with it, but after it installs itself, in order to use it, it restarts my computer, which is obviously a big pain. After the installation I get a dialog box that says I need to restart the computer and the only way to close that dialog box is to hit okay - which shuts down the computer.

Would anyone happen to have any ideas why it keeps installing itself or installing updates so much ?

I have MC on my windows 7 computer, which I use for my main system and gets used many, many times a week, and it has never had to reinstall itself , tho I am thinking maybe once it did do an update, I can't remember. Definitely not 3-4 times a week like the windows 8 machine.
It has gotten to where I just end up using MediaMonkey on that machine now because I don;t want to have my computer shut down and reboot.
any ideas appreciated....
oh....the only thing I could think of was maybe I put the wrong shortcut on the "start" screen, so I deleted it, went into file manager and sent a new copy to thge start screen - same problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC18 & windows 8 - keeps installing
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:52:01 pm »

Maybe you're running the MC installer instead of MC.

donberry

• Recent member
Re: MC18 & windows 8 - keeps installing
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:11:46 pm »

Maybe you're running the MC installer instead of MC.
that was what I was thinking and why I deleted the shortcut on my start page and put it in again
Pages: [1]   Go Up