INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: 'Recent' albums include non-recent titles with same name  (Read 2281 times)

madfloyd

• Recent member
Bug: 'Recent' albums include non-recent titles with same name
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:26:13 am »

I've noticed that when you import new albums which have the same name as an album already in your library, the files list for the new album will include the old.

This is a pita as I like to use the Recent to listen to my latest purchases and don't want to hear other stuff...

This will happen if:

1) two artists have albums with the same title (happens more than you think!)

2) you import a remaster or, say, SACD/DSD version of the same album.

I'm sure JRiver knows exactly which files are new, but probably just stores the album name when it comes to displaying them in this mode.

Anyhow, thanks for reading, would love to see this fixed!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Bug: 'Recent' albums include non-recent titles with same name
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:59:21 pm »

The Recent Albums view is a Categories view, which just groups by Album (but sorts categories by Date Imported).  It is a simple view, assuming that its probably rare for folks to have two of the same-named albums.

Same-named items in a category are grouped together.  To ungroup them, you need to change the category.  It sounds like you might want to either change the album name, or ask MC to include (a portion of) the date imported or acquired.

So you can get the idea of how this grouping works, try replacing the Album category in the view by an expression.  Customize the view, click Album, and then Edit, and change the type to Expression and enter the expression:

[Album] - formatdate([Date Imported,0], Year)

Now your albums will be grouped by date imported.

Once you get the idea, you might expand on this.  I have a Date Acquired field where I store the date I acquired the CD or music tracks.  With this, we can further modify the above expression to show only Album when Date Acquired has no value, and include it when there is a value (so we get the benefit of not having the year tacked on, but included only when necessary).  Ask when you're ready for the next step...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

madfloyd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:17:23 pm »

The Recent Albums view is a Categories view, which just groups by Album (but sorts categories by Date Imported).  It is a simple view, assuming that its probably rare for folks to have two of the same-named albums.

Same-named items in a category are grouped together.  To ungroup them, you need to change the category.  It sounds like you might want to either change the album name, or ask MC to include (a portion of) the date imported or acquired.

So you can get the idea of how this grouping works, try replacing the Album category in the view by an expression.  Customize the view, click Album, and then Edit, and change the type to Expression and enter the expression:

[Album] - formatdate([Date Imported,0], Year)

Now your albums will be grouped by date imported.

Once you get the idea, you might expand on this.  I have a Date Acquired field where I store the date I acquired the CD or music tracks.  With this, we can further modify the above expression to show only Album when Date Acquired has no value, and include it when there is a value (so we get the benefit of not having the year tacked on, but included only when necessary).  Ask when you're ready for the next step...

Thank you very much for the helpful response.  I tried what you suggested and it worked.  I am ready for the next step if you're up for helping me.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:58:16 am »

You might just like using:

[Album] - [Album Artist (auto)]

instead of the expression I gave earlier.

You can also change the Thumbnail text to be:

[Album]
   [Album Artist (auto)]

instead of the stock [Name] value.  This should cover most cases.  Change the thumbnail text in the view tab's pull down menu: Thumbnails > Thumbnails Text.

If you also want to differentiate by format, create a new user field called Format.  Then, your expression can be:

[Album] [Format] - [Album Artist (auto)]

To create a new user field, Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields... and click the Add button, name the field Format.  The rest of the defaults are fine.

To use the field, open the Tag Action Window, select the tracks of your album (for example, an SACD version), and add the Format field to the stock tags shown in the Tag window (pull down, upper left of the TAW, Also Show... and select Format from the list).

madfloyd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:25:39 am »

I had no idea this capability was in JRiver - very nice!

Thank you MrC for all your help.

Quick question: do you happen to know if the custom views will appear in JRemote?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:07:15 pm »

Quick question: do you happen to know if the custom views will appear in JRemote?

You're welcome.

JRemote's views are controlled under Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize view for Gizmo & WebGizmo...

madfloyd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:27 pm »

MrC, I thank you again.  You've made my week.

All this time I was making custom Genre's to effect browsing the way I wanted when I could have just made custom views!

MrC

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:16:11 pm »

Great!

Now that you're on the road to MC madness, see also:

View Customization: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0
   Expression Language: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language

madfloyd

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 07:30:18 pm »

You're welcome.

JRemote's views are controlled under Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize view for Gizmo & WebGizmo...

Hey MrC, I customized the views here but it didn't affect JRemote.  Are you sure this isn't just limited to Gizmo?

MrC

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 07:35:56 pm »

I'm sure.

Did you restart MC after making the configuration change?

madfloyd

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 07:56:38 pm »

I'm sure.

Did you restart MC after making the configuration change?

Nope, but I gather I should try that.... will do, thanks!

MrC

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:59:16 pm »

Some changes to Gizmo settings (like adding a new view) need restarting, some don't (like making changes to an existing view).  I haven't thought through why this is (but have some ideas), so just restart when necessary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up