INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting up to speed on MC18  (Read 1510 times)

AMTuring

• Recent member
Getting up to speed on MC18
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to learn to use MC18. My main objective is to share my collection of photos and videos via local (home) network from a NAS to a couple of TVs

I managed to get the TVs connected to MC18 and the NAS content, but I don't know how to make use of the "Libraries" to organize the full content of NAS files. Browsing from the TV set I get a huge number of files listed (more than I wanted) with no apparent order (it seems at random).
I've been reading the JRiver Wiki manual, but the explanations are not extended enough for me to be fully understood. I've read about setting libraries with fields and tags, importing selected files, etc. but I don't get a clear idea on how to do that and how to organize my own content database (from a practical point of view).
The Tree-panel is also a mystery for me ;-).
As a resume, it seems like keep on reading the manual won't do me any better. It is too condensed and lacks some practical examples. I think it will be usefull once I'll be comfortable with the foundations of the JRiver application. Meanwhile, I'm at lost.

Could anybody direct me to some "Primer" document on how to get started with JRiver? I would appreciate it a lot. On the other hand, it would be very kind if you could provide me with some basic ideas to find my way into the application?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Getting up to speed on MC18
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:27:35 pm »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:01 am »

Another option, if you are patient, is to explain where you have got up to and then ask a specific question to get to the next step, and repeat.  Some get a lot of help this way. 

I would suggest you don't do too much reading, just jump in and give it a go, you can always start again with no penalty as long as you check that Tools->Options->General->Update tags when file info changes is unchecked.  [Could others chime in if there is some other settings that should be changed to ensure existing tags are not ruined?] 

Where have you go up to?

Have you got your files imported and showing in the default views (e.g. Video->Movies from the left hand tree)?

Assuming a yes to the above, have you used Carnac and the "Get Movie and TV info" to populate your videos with metadata from the online databases?

Craig

AMTuring

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:49:11 pm »

Another option, if you are patient, is to explain where you have got up to and then ask a specific question to get to the next step, and repeat.  Some get a lot of help this way.  
Where have you go up to?

Craig

Thanks Craig for your offer. I'll try not to pester you.

My present situation on MC18 is:

- I have populated the library with a huge amount of files (audio, video and images). They come from my PC, my NAS (and maybe from other network connected devices). I think I did import everything without control (and I don't know how or when).

- I'd like to clean up everything and begin importing again files little by a little.

I'd like to describe you the contents of my Organization-Tree panel:

- Under "Playing Now" I get:

1) Overview: with a column view of the playing devices connected to the local network.
2) Player: nothing included as a second level under the tree structure. The main screen is divided in two: "Play Doctor" (I don't know what's that) [Up] / A huge list of media files [Down]
3) A list of nodes, one for every playing device in the network. All show up an empty content on the main panel except the above mentioned "Player".
4) A folder called "Playing from (NAS Server)". Inside this folder I get a list of nodes:
 A) "Main Library"
 B.. and so on) for the rest of devices in the network: either playing or server devices.

Following in the tree structure I find the rest of the application sections.

Well, the questions is:

What should I do for cleaning up everything and what I'll do next from that point on.

Regards.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 02:57:20 pm »

If you want to create a new library, that might be your best bet to move forward.

File > Library > Library Manager... > Add Library.

The you can define what you want imported.  See Tools > Import... > Configure Auto-import.

You'll have to tell us what you want to do next.  I'd suggest starting simple.  Import some files, examine the stock views under Audio, Video, etc.  and start to acclimate yourself with the presentation and how your files and flle's tags are presented by default.

Leave your presentation on the TV for later, as this requires you know the above first to some degree.

Ask specific question when you're stuck.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

AMTuring

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:50:41 pm »

If you want to create a new library, that might be your best bet to move forward.

File > Library > Library Manager... > Add Library.

Ask specific question when you're stuck.

Thanks MrC,

The first think I'd like to do is to get rid of the huge amount of already imported files.

I've tried "Add Library.." using the [Local Library] option. I've browsed and selected a local folder in the PC but I got an error window telling me:
"Cannot create a new library at the specified location."

Afterwards, I clicked on one of the nodes under "Playing from..." (I selected the NAS server) and then I choose the "Import..." option and load some few images, and it worked,...
 but those were added to the 67000 more other already there (in the same library?).

That's another point: I don't fully understand the concept of library.
- How many libraries do I have (open or closed)?
- Are libraries all those nodes under "Playing from..." folder?
- Are libraries associated to a specific file server (source) or can they be composed by files from several sources?

Sorry, I don't know how it works and it seems to be the central part of the MC engine.

Regards

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »

What folder did you try to use for the new library.  MC want's its own folder so it can control the content.  If you chose, say, Desktop, that won't be so good.

Ignore the Playing from... stuff for now, as a suggestion.

I think you'll find better reward if you first just import some files into MC (Tools > Import... > ...) and then get familiar with a local library.   Learn about the view system, tags, playing back files, etc.  When you play back files, they will appear in the Playing Now playlist, under Playing Now.

Open a second Tab in MC.  Go to the first one, and select Playing Now > Player.  Go do the second one and select Audio in the tree.  Now, use the second tab and the view you're in to start playback of some files.  Just double click one.  Now, go to the first tab, and you can see the playlist that was created, which is called Playing Now.  These are the currently playing (or paused) files (for the zone).

A "Library" is MC's database that contains the information that references your media files, contains imported metadata information (aka tags) about those files, and houses a bunch of settings/options.  Almost everyone just needs one Library to reference all their files.  The Library doesn't care how many folder locations you ask it to import and manage - only that they are accessible (via any valid Windows path or UNC path).

When you get ready to use MC on more than one system, then you'll consider running MC on each system, designating one as the master Library Server, and the others as clients that connect to the master's library via Library Server.

MC also has Zones - which are independent playback targets.  These can be local zones (each with their own playback settings), or they can be Library Server-based or DLNA zones.

Hopefully that helps a little, at least to get you a step closer to your goal...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:33:30 pm »

AMTuring, a library is 'a collection of media' as far as MC is concerned.  All of the media that MC has imported is in your library.  No matter where on your computer system the actual file resides, if it's been imported, it's in the library.  A library also contains all your playlists, and customized views, etc.

It sounds like you just let MC import whatever it could find during the initial setup.  this isn't always the stuff you actually want imported, and it sounds like you've got so much in your library, that you're a bit overwhelmed by it all.

As others have suggested, I think you might benefit from a fresh start.

Click on File, Library, Library Manager...

Then click on the button titled "Add Library..."

Put in a name for this new library, leave "local library" selected, then click on browse.

I suggest you browse to this location to put this new library...

C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Library\{same name as your new library}

You may have to click the "Make New Folder" button to get the last folder, in the example above it's {same name as your new library}

This puts it into a unique folder, which will be quickly filled with all the necessary items MC needs for each unique library.

Once you have created this new library, select this library from the tree to the left, then click "Load Library", which will make this new, blank library the current/active library.  It will not contain any media at this point.  It is your new 'blank slate'

Now, click on Tools, Import, Configure Auto-Import, then click next.  This will present you with a big empty box with buttons to the right.  Click on Add...

then navigate to the folder where you keep most of your Music.  It will automatically import from all of the subfolders under the folder you select, unless you tell it not to.  normally you want to allow it to do this.

The box below has a list of options, and these are not folder specific, they are library specific.  I, personally, do not let MC "Get Cover Art", since it is sometimes incorrect, and it's much more difficult to find the incorrect cover art, then delete it and replace it, than to find missing cover art, and just get it for each album as you go along.

I suggest you let it "Analyze audio", which will determine how much 'replay gain' needs to be applied to let you play music so that all tracks play at the same relative volume (tracks don't get louder and quieter as you play them randomly).  i also let it build thumbnails, Get Movie and TV info and update for external changes.  however, everyone has different needs and wants here, so use the  wiki for an explanation of any options you don't understand.

Also, you can always go back and check analyze audio and re-import, so anything you don't have checked now does not prevent you from doing it later.  the more you have checked, the longer the import will be.

Once you've imported your music folder, then start taking a look at the different views, and smartlists, and play around with MC to start to learn how it all works.  It's incredibly powerful, and can do so many things, it takes years to learn it all, and even then you still learn new stuff.

If you get to a point where you want to do something, but aren't sure how, search the forums, and the wiki, and if cna't figure it our, post specific questions, or requests, and you'll get the help you need.

Once you start to get the hang of it, you can add more folders to the auto-import and bring more of your media into the library.  You can also import folders one time only, but the auto-import keeps your library up to date with any new media you acquire, so it's normally better to use the auto-import.

that should keep you busy for a little while :)

have fun!!
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up