INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I transfer a playlist from one computer to another?  (Read 1085 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen
How can I transfer a playlist from one computer to another?
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:13:15 pm »

Hi,

I have search high and low in your forum, but cannot find an answer to this seemingly simple question.  I have created a playlist on my secondary computer and want to transfer it back to my "master" computer without affecting the rest of the library.   I have export/import and that didn't work properly - I selected the playlist on my on the secondary computer, right clicked and exported to .mpl.   When I imported on my master computer I see the name of the playlist and it seems to be playing, although it does not list the songs so I am not able to futher modify it.  Should I be able to do this with export/import??  I know I can transfer the whole library, but that's not what I want to do.  I simply want to move a specific playlist from one computer to another.  Is this possible?  ?

Thank you so very much for answering this or pointing me to where it's been answered before.

Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: How can I transfer a playlist from one computer to another?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:40:54 pm »

Do the files reside on the same folder path on both systems?  The playlist specifies the full path to the file.  If the files are in a different location, you'll need to either modify the playlist to correct for pathname changes, or set the Store paths relative to exported playlist location option when you export, and then save the playlist at the root of your music files.  Your files must live in the same relative tree on both systems.

For example, if your music files are stored under M:\Music, then save the playlist at M:\.  Inside the playlist files, you'll then see that the file paths are specified as .\Music\...

Now, on the other machine, copy the playlist and locate it in the same relative location (if your files are on Z:\Music, place it at Z:\) and import.

The best thing to do would be to ensure that files live in the same location on both systems, for example, M:\Music.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: How can I transfer a playlist from one computer to another?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:08 pm »

If the file paths are different you can try this program:

Listfix - http://listfix.sourceforge.net/

From the website:  Have you ever spent some time making a playlist, only to have it break when you reorganize your files? listFix() is a Swing application that solves this problem by finding the lost or missing entries in your playlists automatically.  Tell it where you keep your media files, load in the playlist you want to fix, and hit the locate button.  The program will search your media library for the file and update the playlist accordingly when it finds a match.

If a few files are still missing, they were probably renamed.  listFix() has a way of finding these files as well, by scoring the files in your media library with a "similarity" test and offering you a choice of the best potential matches, pre-selecting the matches it deems "best".

Pages: [1]   Go Up