INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WOL: Howto and what tool to use?  (Read 1908 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
WOL: Howto and what tool to use?
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:49:02 am »

I used to just leave the htpc running 24/7 but now that the system has grown into a full blown server I find it desirable to enable sleep and power management features. The system falls asleep alright, but it will only wake with a keypress or power button. I've enabled WOL in the BIOS.

I tried the Wake On Lan feature from my router, that should work just fine but it isn't working. The pc won't wake up.

I remember from a previous installation UltraVNC woke up the pc too but that's not working anymore either.

I never worked with any of this before, Uvnc was as much a surprise as it was a coincidence but it did trigger my interest. Now that I want it to work, it doesn't. So any ideas what could be wrong and which tools I could try?
PS. Isn't MC supposed to wake up the server too when connecting to the library server from a client?

Thanks!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: WOL: Howto and what tool to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:25:35 am »

No one?  ?

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:51:33 am »

WOL seems to me a horrible can of worms, however you can check if it's enabled in the OS. Go to device manager, choose network card properties and "Allow this device to wake the computer" needs to be checked under power management. You might need to check "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" if the PC starts to wake up spontaneously.

Some of the Control Panel Power Options can interact with WOL as well; if you have hybrid sleep enabled it can stop WOL working.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:09:33 pm »

PS. Isn't MC supposed to wake up the server too when connecting to the library server from a client?

Matt says:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77621.msg526753#msg526753
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:44:38 am »

I wake the HTPC with the On/Off softswitch from my Logitec RC (mapped from the MSE RC).  Seems to work fine WHEN it goes to sleep (for a while there it would never go to sleep but seems to have been working fine recently).  I also use WOL to control my (semi) remote Backup server (WHS) using both a schedule to wake/sleep the PC + manually sending the Magic Packet from an add in called "Lights Out" but it is (I think) only for WHS.... but you could ask here on if it works on client Windows platforms as well - http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/forum/299-lightsout/
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up