INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using jriver with mac mini  (Read 5543 times)

stpierre76

• Recent member
using jriver with mac mini
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:30:03 am »

I know jriver will be available soom for macs, but in the meantime i am just wondering if anybody has used a mac mini or any mac using boot camp and win 7 to run jriver.
Have you encountered any problems at all and if yes please elaborate what they were and how you managed to get around.
The other thing is if you run a mac under bootcamp and win 7 does that mean you can transfer your existing music library  from a pc win 7 to the mac win 7  ( all files are flac).
any advice appreciated.
regards
jean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: using jriver with mac mini
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:51 am »

Yes.  I have a couple of these at work that I've used this way from time to time.

No problems.  Under boot camp, the mac becomes a PC.  It is indistinguishable from any other Windows box, except the BIOS is a weird UEFI thing.

MC also runs fine under Parallels Desktop 8 and VMWare Fusion 5.  I find Parallels has a little bit nicer features and performance, which stinks, because otherwise VMWare would be easier to deal with (and, while shady, VMWare isn't as shady of a company as Parallels -- who are spam-happy).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

abrise

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:49:08 am »

I am also running MC on the mac pro I use when travelling . I found two years ago that I got less problem with fusion than parrallel . I now use fusion 5 and win 8 and MC is running smoothly. However to avoid hiccups I recommend that you limit the virtual machine to one cpu only.   

tgundo2003

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:03:01 pm »

I run MC on a Mac Mini here at the shop as well, just using Bootcamp. We have it set up on a computer audio demo station with Windows7/MC on one side, OSX/iTunes/Puremusic on the other. Works just fine, IMHO the JRiver side sounds better than the iTunes/PureMusic side.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 03:17:31 pm »

I am also running MC on the mac pro I use when travelling . I found two years ago that I got less problem with fusion than parrallel . I now use fusion 5 and win 8 and MC is running smoothly. However to avoid hiccups I recommend that you limit the virtual machine to one cpu only. 

I use both Fusion 5 and Parallels 8, and have no problems with either.

I also set them both to use two threads on two CPUs.  They perform great, though I have gobs of RAM in all of my systems.  Not sure why the recommendation would be to reduce it to single-core only, as that's a bit odd.

Maybe if you're trying to run it on something that is constantly running up against a thermal limit?

stpierre76

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:54 pm »

Hi guys,
Thanks for replying and advice.
However, m a little confused with all that talk of fusion 5 and parallel stuff. Excuse my ignorance, but somebody point it out to me what it is exactly.
What I need from my Mac mini is use jrivers, transfer my current flac files on my PC to the mini and also all my photos and home videos so that I can also use jrivers to display them, and also use my ipad for jremote, so what is my best bet of doing so, in the simplest way possible as m not very computer savvy.
I just want to use the mini purely as a media/music server, nothing else.
Do I need to purchase bootcamp and win 7 or are they preloaded in Mac mini.
Sincerely yours
Jean

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:39:40 am »

Fusion, Parallels (and Virtual Box, which is free) are software that lets you run another operating system within the main machine operating system, so called virtual machines. On a mac you start up OSX then run the virtualising software, and that will start the guest OS.

Bootcamp comes with OSX, you will need a copy of the guest OS as well. If you want to go the virtual route you will need a copy of VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox, etc as well as the guest OS.

Virtualising is more versatile, but is more demanding of hardware, especially memory. I run Windows 7 under Fusion on this iMac and JRiver doesn't work satisfactorily, because it's an old core 2 duo with only 4G of ram. It should work OK with a modern mac.

If you are using this machine only for JRiver, I would use bootcamp and boot straight into windows. That will make best use of the hardware and be simpler to get going. In fact, I've just bought a mac mini to replace my main JR video player and use bootcamp to run W7.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:35:05 am »

Fusion, Parallels (and Virtual Box, which is free) are software that lets you run another operating system within the main machine operating system, so called virtual machines. On a mac you start up OSX then run the virtualising software, and that will start the guest OS.

Bootcamp comes with OSX, you will need a copy of the guest OS as well. If you want to go the virtual route you will need a copy of VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox, etc as well as the guest OS.

Virtualising is more versatile, but is more demanding of hardware, especially memory. I run Windows 7 under Fusion on this iMac and JRiver doesn't work satisfactorily, because it's an old core 2 duo with only 4G of ram. It should work OK with a modern mac.

If you are using this machine only for JRiver, I would use bootcamp and boot straight into windows. That will make best use of the hardware and be simpler to get going. In fact, I've just bought a mac mini to replace my main JR video player and use bootcamp to run W7.

Exactly what he said.

stpierre76

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 05:25:30 pm »

Thanks a lot guys. Booting up the mini straight into bootcamp is pretty Much what m going to do. Not interested in parallel programs.
Once again, thanks for your time and effort and advice. When the beta version is release for jriver and it s been fully tested and compliant I will use jriver under the beta version.
Regards
Jean

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »

BTW, you don't actually need bootcamp in this case. I just deleted all of the Mac partitions and installed Win 7 directly (so I don't have Mac OS installed at all). This works fine.

And, I can also say that a Mac Mini with Win7 + Media Centre is a great solution as a media PC. It fits nicely in my TV cabinet, is very quite, and is very versatile. I also have a TV tuner (a small USB dongle) hooked up, and use it as a PVR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up