INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support Options  (Read 1331 times)

Dave

Support Options
« on: April 09, 2002, 08:49:13 am »

Are there any other support options for the Media Jukbox besides the Interactive board?
E mail support? If not, you'd think with a price tag on this excellent piece of software there would be other options.

Harry|PLS|the|PLS|Hipster

RE:Support Options
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 08:57:45 am »

This is it Dave - this and the new Help file Lise is preparing (if she's not dogging it by working on her dissertation). As you may have observed, the program developers and the technical staff participate very actively in the discussion on-the-fly. Also, many of the forum users are exceptionally sophisticated, and have been extremely helpful in getting me and other dunderheads out of binds.

So, if one's idea of heaven is to hold onto a dead line for 45 minutes waiting for a 'support person' who just finished his first read of the manual, this isn't it. Otherwise, welcome aboard - you'll find the participants helpful, irrelevant, irreverent and scatological, in no particular order, but you'll almost always get a prompt response.

HTH

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2002, 09:37:19 am »

Dave

You won't get much sympathy here for calls for other forms of tech support. With very little prompting, this threat could quickly turn into a "My nightmare experience(s) with [fill in software company here]'s rude and infuriatingly unhelpful tech support" gripe-fest. JRiver and the overwhelming majority of MJ users are happy with this system. Most of the people that are unhappy with this system: 1) don't like posting to boards (in this case, oh well, nothing to be done about it), 2) don't get an immediate response to their difficult question posted with little helpful info (people should try to give some thought to what a typical tech support person would ask before they determine that they can't help you), or 3) initiated this process with a bad attitude and received same in response. Perhaps #1 applies to you. Perhaps I've missed a couple of reasons. But, please--give it a shot. I think that you'll find people here quite helpful, and I wouldn't be surprised to see your name here shortly among those pitching in to help newbies.

Michael

lise

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2002, 10:30:14 am »

Hi Dave,

If I hadn't been using this board for years now, I would be thinking, like you, that any software product should come with the more standard types of support.  Heck, I have been using this board and still require this of software companies.  But that's only because most other companies who do have boards or newsgroups tend to be, well, unhelpful.  Believe me, here it is different.  The number of what we might call MVPs on this board grows constantly.  There are at least (and this is an extremely conservative number) a dozen Media Jukebox users who not only read the board daily, but reply to most questions.  I've seen some users spend an awful lot of time trying to duplicate problems posted here and working out solutions.  And if that isn't enough, the president of the company (JimH) and developers read and answer questions.  And get this--when they work on a new beta, they actually ask us what we want to see--and implement it where possible.

So, if some users here sound defensive, it's only because we know how unusual this particular board is and we are all extremely proud of it.  Of course some posts will go unanswered for a variety of reasons.  But if the problem is stated clearly and politely, odds are extremely high of getting a helpful response.

Ok.  End of speech Next Page

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2002, 10:37:36 am »

Dave,
That now makes three more intelligent answers than I could give you myself.

JimH
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sekim

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2002, 11:10:43 am »

Dave

Just an observation, did you have a problem?

Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2002, 02:50:16 pm »

Hey Dave,

Don't hesitate to post your question(s).  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  The software really can perform and I think you'll find there are lots of people here that will enthusiastically and quickly help you with problems.  I find this is much better than the email help offered by many other software providers.

Dave

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2002, 02:53:54 pm »

Great overwhelming response.
Yes I did have a problem I posted a few days ago and didn't get any help.
Wasn't looking for phone support. I know how that can be.
I'll repost my problem again.
Thanks everyone with your responses.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2002, 02:57:34 pm »

Dave - I see you reposted your problem. If you don't get a response to a post then reply to it and include the word bump. Eventually someone will pick it up!
Namaste,
John

Michael Horton

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2002, 03:06:08 pm »

Dave

Maybe our defense is better than our offense, but we do score on occassion. Thanks for taking the time to re-post.

Michael

Michael Horton

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2002, 01:58:20 pm »

I just re-installed my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, eliminating that awful Soundblaster Extigy. The Santa Cruz had worked fine under Win 2000 Pro, but I never had it installed with Win XP. So, when I discovered that the control panel would not install at all under Win XP, I had the opportunity to try out Turtle Beach's tech support. First, their tech support faq reports that some people have already reported this problem, but the circumstances didn't apply to my situation (conflicts with programs that I don't have), but I tried doing all the uninstall/reinstall steps suggested anyway, without success. So, I emailed Turtle Beach with what I would consider a pretty-well detailed description of the problem, the steps that I had taken to correct the problem, and the relevant system info. Below is the email reply that I received from Turtle Beach. I'm posting it to demonstrate the level of detail that tech support people generally want when trying to solve a problem (or pass the buck elsewhere). Something for all of us to keep in mind, especially for those who post a message like "Why do I get an error message with MJ?" and then complain about the lack of response (this is not directed toward this thread or its originator, it just seems like a good place to post this message).

Email response from Turtle Beach:

The SantaCruz control panel should have been installed, when you installed
the drivers.  

Thank you for your email.

To better determine the source of your difficulty, we will need more
information about your system:

When and where did you obtain the Voyetra/Turtle Beach Product:
Software Version (see help and about):
Registration/Serial Number (on inside of CD case or CD's paper sleeve):

(Please do not proceed if the questions in the above paragraph are not
answered)

User Information:

First Name:
Last Name:
e-mail:
Telephone:
Address:

User Hardware/Software Information:

PC Manufacturer:
Processor:
Motherboard: Brand, Model #
Motherboard: Chipset
BIOS type: (AMI, Phoenix, Award)
BIOS Version or Date
Speed:
RAM:

HDD type:
CD-ROM type:
CD-ROM speed:
Video Card:
Video Resolution:
Sound Card:
Sound Card Driver Version:
Other Hardware or Peripherals:
Listing of ISA cards:
Listing of PCI cards:
Number of PCI slots:
Are NT PnP Services installed:
Service Pack installed: (Applies to NT)

Windows version:

Software Running with the Sound Card:

Technical Problem:

Regards,
Turtle Beach Tech Support
tech@tbeach.com

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2002, 02:17:30 pm »

If I were Turtle Beach, I would have added "checking account#" to that list.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up