INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLASMA screen anti-burn in feature for theaterview  (Read 4224 times)

gertandriescoetsee

PLASMA screen anti-burn in feature for theaterview
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:07:13 pm »

In media center 18, has the PLAMA screen anti-burnin ( image retention) feature been incorporated.  I notice that my Samsung SMART TV has a setting for turning off the picture after a while when the same static image is displayed, indicating that it is indeed possible for burnin even with LCD/LED TVs.

I use theaterview to play music a lot and the top menu bar stays the same - this may cause problems

Thanks

Avorius

Re: PLASMA screen anti-burn in feature for theaterview
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:17:04 am »

This would be a nice feature.

The screen saver could even display pictures of movies, shows and albums in a user's library. They could bounce around or fade in/out, depending on screen saver preferences.

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:06:58 am »

If i recall correctly, a feature to prevent Plasma burn-in was announced as an intended feature of MC18.

I didn't notice that have been implemented yet. Can someone please clarify if it was dropped?

Thanks in advance

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:23:07 am »

The original suggestion (years ago) was to have Theatre View's Screen Saver was to just kick off a slide show of the Images in the Library after a configurable delay.
JRiver CEO Elect

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:31:58 am »

I have my pc set up so the screen fades to black after 10 minutes of no action... Of course, this isn't great when watching things like Hulu or Netflix, but I can handle it for the peace of mind it brings.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:32:15 pm »

If you run the Windows Magnifier, you can zoom out to 100% and minimize the application, but when it's running Ctrl+Alt+I will invert your screen. (this is actually really annoying, because Photoshop also uses that shortcut to resize images)
You can just hit the Windows key and +/- at any time to enable the magnifier and zoom in or out of the screen - I find this really useful.

On OS X, Cmd+Opt+Shift+8 will invert the screen. (works any time - no need to run a separate application)

While it might not be the nicest thing to look at, alternating between normal and an inverted display should help minimize uneven screen wear from static elements.
I wonder if an option to only invert Media Center's UI might work for this?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:23:14 pm »

This was planned.  I started a thread on it a long while ago when I got my new plasma.  I would like Theater View to just fade the UI elements out and show only the slideshow after some delay period.

I don't think it has been cancelled, but you'd need Matt to chime in to be sure.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 04:12:18 pm »

It is one of those features that "almost" gets to the top of the list.  I find the Windows screen saver option give me issues.
JRiver CEO Elect

DanoRoo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 08:01:34 am »

I just download a bunch of hi res 1080p images off the web and have the PC's screen saver kick them in after a few minutes.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:44:38 pm »

I really like the automated slideshow in playing now when playing music. The ever changing background collected from the internet prevents burn in, except from the top and bottom part that has the static text. I don't really want to hide the slide show by using Windows Screen saver, so the best solution for me is to have this text fade away after a number of seconds.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 12:48:59 pm »

Fading in with a track change or other "input" (e.g. pausing) and out after say 10s would be nice. Even better if it's configurable.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 01:04:27 pm »

I also had read that MC18 would eventually be altered to have the text at top of screen (breadcrumb menu) fade out and reappear if a button was pushed. It would also be nice to have song title etc., at bottom of screen do likewise and then reappear when changing tracks as stated above..

I usually have the G-Force visual kick in just for this reason.

I suggested to Soundspectrum (G-Force) that they implement a slideshow similar to the automated (off internet) slideshow in Playing Now behind the visualization since they already have the option to show images (sprites) behind the visual.

Possibly MC can add this feature to one of its visuals.
I know that some XBMC skins have this option when running the ProjectM visualization.

Of course, the easiest way is to just fade out the text.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »

I really like the automated slideshow in playing now when playing music. The ever changing background collected from the internet prevents burn in, except from the top and bottom part that has the static text. I don't really want to hide the slide show by using Windows Screen saver, so the best solution for me is to have this text fade away after a number of seconds.

Exactly.

Plus, this way, when the track changes, the text UI could "come back".

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 04:47:57 pm »

+ (a big number)

Maybe after 189 builds this feature could be put near the top of Matt's to-do list?  I mean, given all the amazing things MC does, how tough can it be to fade out text?   ;D

FastKayak / Larry

gattus35

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 03:23:49 pm »

I could not agree more.  The slide show is fantastic.  It would be unbeatable if all the text could fade and then reapear at song changes or if the mouse is moved.  I bought ver. 18 primarily for this feature!

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 04:35:44 pm »

I like the idea of the internet slideshow, but is it configurable in any way?

I rarely use Theater mode, so I didn't really look into it, but when playing tracks from "AIR" for example, it was just showing photos of random airplanes flying around half the time, and some weird anime girls? (similar results to https://www.google.com/search?q=air&tbm=isch)

There was nothing offensive that showed up, but it seems like there's potential for disaster when you're just pulling images from the internet.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 04:53:29 pm »

The Internet slideshow is found in 5 different places on the Internet. You can select/deselect them under Option/Theater View/Theme/Online Media Slideshow. I find that I get rid of all those strange results if I deselect Google and leave the rest selected.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 05:34:32 pm »

Right.  I kinda like the odd Google results, though.  They often make me laugh.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »

The Internet slideshow is found in 5 different places on the Internet. You can select/deselect them under Option/Theater View/Theme/Online Media Slideshow. I find that I get rid of all those strange results if I deselect Google and leave the rest selected.
Thanks, I assumed there must be some way to configure it, but I couldn't see where.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 09:06:21 am »

I would just like to add my support for an anti screen burn feature. When playing music I think the slide show is great but the text at the top and bottom of the screen stays static and could cause an issue. So it would be nice if the text disappeared and just left the slide show running.

Also, if the main menu is left on the screen for a certain period I would like to see it fade away and maybe just have a J River logo move slowly around the screen just so that you know that the TV is still on.

This issue is a bit of a worry for us Plasma owners.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 11:50:37 am »

Another Plasma owner agrees and throws in his support. The static text is one reason I don't use Theater View slide show very often.
There are some good suggestion already mentioned in this thread.

There is another reason not to use Theater view. For this one I know I am very much in the minority but thought I'd throw it in.
My internet is wireless 4G. Along with being very expensive compared to cable it also features a very low monthly limit.
Not sure how quickly the slide show would consume the limit but I do often have music playing all weekend.

It would be nice just to be able to select a folder of images to use instead on the internet. For that matter what about just randomly showing the cover art in the library. Perhaps that may trigger the desire to hear some long forgotten album.

sirganty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 07:20:24 am »

@JRFan
To save bandwidth, you can switch off the internet slideshow altogether from Options > Theater View > Theme > Online media slideshow

Pretty sure (since the last few releases) once that is done, the backdrop will be generated at random from the theme itself, and depend on the route you take to get to "playing now" i.e. through gadgets / audio / etc

If you are still using the "default" theme, take a look in the "program files\media center 18\skins\theater view\themes\default" folder, you should find the backdrop is selected from the images in there.

Unfortunately it's not a slideshow, it simply selects one from the folder.

You can also create your own theme with sub folders for the above locations and drop your own images in the relevant folders.
Or indeed create looping mpgs if you need/want them to be more like a screensaver.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 11:36:21 am »

Thanks sirganty.
I suppose if one wants a slide show there is always the windows screen saver.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 03:49:37 pm »

Bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up