INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Media Type" doesn't show in "Show Tags in Current View"  (Read 1509 times)

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
"Media Type" doesn't show in "Show Tags in Current View"
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:01:14 am »

I don't know if this is a bug or by design, but when I select "Tag" in the Action Window and then filter this to "Show Tags in the Current View" the field "Media Type" usually does not show up in the Action Window, even though it is in fact in my current view. "Media Sub Type" shows up just fine.

Now, there are some rare occasions when "Media Type" does show up in the Action Window, and I haven't figured out why the inconsistency. However, even when it does rarely show up in the Action Window, it always does so as the last field in the Action Window, regardless of which order it appears in the current view.

Any one else see this? Is there a a reason for it -- like attempting to prevent bulk edits to this field. This is actually what I'm trying to do, bulk edit a list of videos from "Video" to "TV."

Update: Oh, and I'm using the latest stable update 18.0.106, but this has happened in several iterations of MC18. Don't recall if it happened in MC17. I'm just starting to ramp up my use of MC for video management.

Thanks, Greg.

chrisjj

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Media Type" doesn't show in "Show Tags in Current View"
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:59:05 am »

I don't know if this is a bug or by design, but when I select "Tag" in the Action Window and then filter this to "Show Tags in the Current View" the field "Media Type" usually does not show up in the Action Window, even though it is in fact in my current view. "Media Sub Type" shows up just fine.

Any one else see this?

Yes:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:08:56 am »

This is by design, but it is a bit confusing.

Fields that are included in the Tag AW "header" don't automatically show as normal fields in the Tag AW.  And, for some reason, [Media Type] doesn't either.

However, this is easy to work around.  Simply pick Also Show > Field to add it in manually, and it'll show.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

chrisjj

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:31:25 am »

This is by design

How so?

BTW Devs, how about changing  Show Tags in Current View to Show Fields in Current View - for accuracy and consistency.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:41:29 am »

It does, generally.

The only exceptions are (as I mentioned) fields that otherwise appear in the Tag AW header anyway and [Media Type].  I have no idea why [Media Type] is omitted, but there is probably some reason.

Omitting the fields that otherwise appear in the Tag AW header makes sense, as most users wouldn't want them to show up twice (providing two separate places to see and modify things like the Rating, duration, File Type, etc).  The only part that is weird is the [Media Type] field.  I'm not sure, but I'd guess it has something to do with the logic MC uses to decide what fields to show in the Tag AW header.

It would be nice if [Media Type] could be fixed, but like I said, it is simple to work around, so it isn't the end of the world.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »

This is by design, but it is a bit confusing.

Fields that are included in the Tag AW "header" don't automatically show as normal fields in the Tag AW.  And, for some reason, [Media Type] doesn't either.

However, this is easy to work around.  Simply pick Also Show > Field to add it in manually, and it'll show.

OK, I'll do this. Thanks!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 01:37:40 pm »

I'm guessing that when Media Type was more limited, there was no reason to change it.  With relatively newer Media Types such as Data sometimes requiring change, it might make sense for Media Type to be removed from the exclusion list (e.g. ISO: Data --> Video).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up