INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed: Syncing a portable installation with my main library  (Read 793 times)

packux

• Recent member

Hi all,

I have a somewhat simple task but am a bit mixed-up, so here goes.

I usually listen to music from my main PC, which also happens to have all my music content in place. Recently I decided that I want to be able to carry around at least some of my music - so that I can listen to it when I am in the office etc.

To that end, I bought an external 1TB USB 3.0 drive, installed there JRiver portable and was all set to go...Except, I didn't have a good idea on how to keep content synced from my main rig.

The easiest solution I found was to create a smartlist, including all FLAC content I have. I then configured the external HD as a portable device and asked JRiver in my main rig to keep it in sync. The obvious idea is that after a given time, with new music added in my collection or even music removed, sync will happen iteratively and I won't have to copy over everything from the start.

The main problem that I have, is that it seems JRiver copied some files multiple times (6-9 times). Please keep in mind that in total, the content I copied over is something like 250GB - a substantial size but I believe quite manageable.

Other HW specs (my main rig): i7 3930 @4Ghz, 16GB RAM, plenty of free disk space.

So my questions are: Is my approach sensible? Maybe a better way to keep the portable HD at sync? Maybe a bit of RTFM is in order for me?

Many thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up