INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD to CD Burning from a newbie perspective!  (Read 833 times)

themongooseishere

CD to CD Burning from a newbie perspective!
« on: April 09, 2002, 05:35:06 am »

Being a newbie to "ripping or burning" cd's ... I didn't see a way to make an "exact copy" from my CD Drive to my CD-RW using Media Jukebox.  With my old CD Burner using Adaptec I could make "exact copy" with out downloading CD onto my Hard Drive.  Can I do this with Media Jukebox or Media Jukebox |PLS|?  Is there an advantage to downloading the music onto my Hard Drive first (besides for making MIX cd's)?

Thanks for any and all help!

Badger

RE:CD to CD Burning from a newbie perspective!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 08:17:44 am »

Mongoose,

I think most here would agree that MJ is not designed for simply copying CDs.  I think your Adaptec will do a better job for that.  Adaptec simply automates a few of the steps you have to go through with MJ (like first "downloading" the files to your disk).

themongooseishere

Badger...hey we're almost related!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2002, 08:36:15 am »

Thanks for your reply...if you have time to respond...what is the benefit of downloading...I'm sure one reason is the ability then to turn sound file into more than one format...any others...any good source of info to learn more about the ins and outs of ripping cd's.

Thanks again!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2002, 09:16:31 am »

Here's why I rip every single CD I buy into MJ.

1. I never again have to worry about a CD being scratched.
2. I can create a truly random mixed playlist of songs without having to wait for some expensive and slow 100 disc cd changer to change discs.
3. Mixed CD's to take in the Jeep on roadtrips.
4. All of my music is readily available to be copied to my portable mp3 player that I take with me to the gym.
5. Cool visualizations.

Not to mention that I can easily call up any song from any album by any artist all from the comfort of my chair using my remote. Because it's all on the computer already, I don't have to go dig out a CD.

There are some cons to this, though.

1. Hard drive space - although with really cheap 80-160 GB hard drives available this is becoming less of a problem.
2. Home stereo systems typically sound better than PC speakers - even this isn't a huge problem as many people are hooking their PC's up to their stereo systems.
3. The PC has to be on anytime you want to listen to music - I leave my PC on all the time anyway so it doesn't make a difference to me.

So even the cons aren't really cons.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2002, 04:12:29 pm »

I do the same as the last poster, but if the record industry has their way we won't be doing any ripping from future CD's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up