Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ram  (Read 1584 times)

ster4610

• Recent member
ram
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:14:20 pm »

I have an HP G70 running vista with 2gigs of RAM. I like to listen to 24 bit 88khz and 192khz FLAC files through a M2 Tech Young DAC. Will upgrading to 4 gigs improve sound quality?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ram
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:15:50 pm »

Will upgrading to 4 gigs improve sound quality?

More memory might make your computer seem faster for multi-tasking, but it won't affect sound quality.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ster4610

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »

Even when playing files from memory?

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »

even when playing files from memory. i suppose more could be put into buffer... but the sound quality won't be altered.

ster4610

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:30:46 am »

If more could be buffered, wouldn't that reduce jitter? Also does anyone know what the maximum buffer size is?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:15 am »

It would have no effect on sound quality, in spite of the highly questionable information you may find on some audiophile sites on the Internet.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:59 am »

The maximum memory for memory play is 1 GB.  After 256MB it checks against available memory to avoid using swap. Only one track is tread into memory at a time.  The track  is loaded at the end of a track and during the gap. So, unless you have a track larger than 1 GB, there is no disk activity during the playing of that track.

If you are using async USB, the jitter is controlled by the USB device, not the PC, assuming the PC can keep the buffer full. If it cannot, then there are real problems.

Try it and  see, but most people do not hear any difference. The real key is to minimize the other activity on the system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up