INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vinyl cataloging  (Read 2260 times)

HPL

• Recent member
Vinyl cataloging
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:01:34 am »

Wouldn't be nice if JRiver had a vinyl cataloging add on.Not exactly what you guys do but it would be fairly easy considering the excellent organization of data on JRiver.Just throwing it out there. :)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Vinyl cataloging
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:59:23 pm »

This can be done through various means.  Perhaps you can describe more what you're looking for?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

HPL

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:47 am »

Thanks for answering.

As little typing as possible with the ability to manually add data.

Lets say Beatles,Capitol or Parlaphone,Yellow/Black label or Silver/Black label.Year of release and printing.Manually enter info in trailing edge of the record.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:32:34 am »

The way folks have done this is by using simple text files which act as the necessary real file system objects MC needs.

If you have only a couple of albums, just manually import some text files, and then add your metadata.

If you have many albums, it is pretty trivial to convert, say, a spreadsheet of the data you have, into these files and have MC import them along with the metadata.

If you're not able to do this, send me the spreadsheet, and I'll package up the goods for you.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

HPL

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:31:35 am »

Thanks.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 04:00:31 am »

The way I'd go about this is as follows:
Please bear in mind that I've not tried it!

1. Set up a folder somewhere that isn't watched by MC for auto-imports. Call it say 'Vinyl'.
2. Look up an album on 'Google Images'. Let's say 'Hysteria' by 'Def Leppard'.
3. Find a reasonable quality/size album cover that matches your Vinyl Album.
4. Do a 'Save picture as..' from the right click menu and save it in your new Vinyl folder. Give it a sensible name using a reproducible convention eg. 'Def Leppard - Hysteria - Mercury Records - 1987.jpg'.
5. In MC set up a new auto-import rule for your 'Vinyl' folder.
6. Make it add the following tags. [Media Type]=Audio [Media Subtype]=Other (there isn't one for Vinyl unfortunately).
7. This should import all the album art and tag them as audio (important because it exposes appropriate tags for audio rather than image)
8. Select all your files and do a 'Fill properties from filename' in the right click menu. This should give options for automatically filling the tags from the filename that you entered.
9. Optionally you could add in the track details in the 'Notes' tag for each file (just copy-paste from the web somewhere)

I'm not by my MC/HTPC at the moment, so some of the steps may not work, but should be enough to get you started.
Any comments from others?

SBR 

csimon

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:19 am »

8. Select all your files and do a 'Fill properties from filename' in the right click menu. This should give options for automatically filling the tags from the filename that you entered.

This can be streamlined - this didn't click with me until recently!  In the Auto Import (step 6) why not just fill those tags from the filename anyway, so that you don't have to manually Fill Properties From Filename.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:25:58 am »

Oh yes. Of course. I had an inkling that it was possible, thanks

SBR

csimon

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 05:35:51 am »

PS. Talking about Media Sub-Type, I get round this with a custom tag called Medium.  I fill this in with:

Albums
Live Albums
Compilation Albums
CD Singles

This is so that when I drill down into an Artist I get all their titles categorised neatly as above rather than having everything lumped together. (An artist Compilation Album is different from a multi-artist Compilation Album!)

I haven't yet got round to doing my vinyl but when I do there will be entries such as 7" Singles, 12" Singles, Vinyl Albums, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up