INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turn Table USB playback from MC17  (Read 4582 times)

nuvira

• World Citizen
Turn Table USB playback from MC17
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:41:59 pm »

How can I playback from Turntable that has USB output ? PC recognized as USB CODEC Input audio.
I couldn't find a this device as Audio Input such as CD or DVD in MC17. any plugin I can use ?
please advice me.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Turn Table USB playback from MC17
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:46:57 pm »

I'm not sure the way I do this is "approved," but I use the ASIO4ALL kernel wrapper, and set the ASIO4ALL input pointer to the USB turntable.  Then I use JRiver's ASIO Line in, pointing at ASIO4ALL.  It works seamlessly.

I wouldn't recommend using ASIO4ALL for any other purpose (like for your actual playback), but it works just fine to simulate an ASIO input for line in purposes.

Another alternative that I've used in the past is to use a free recording suite like audacity, with the "playthrough" option checked.  Then use JRiver's "loopback" feature to re-route the sound.  This method is laborious and kind of fiddly, though, which is why I switched to the first method above.

Edit: I should note, I'm doing this in MC 18, so you may not have the "loopback" option.

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:11:50 pm »

I'm not sure the way I do this is "approved," but I use the ASIO4ALL kernel wrapper, and set the ASIO4ALL input pointer to the USB turntable.  Then I use JRiver's ASIO Line in, pointing at ASIO4ALL.  It works seamlessly.

I wouldn't recommend using ASIO4ALL for any other purpose (like for your actual playback), but it works just fine to simulate an ASIO input for line in purposes.

Another alternative that I've used in the past is to use a free recording suite like audacity, with the "playthrough" option checked.  Then use JRiver's "loopback" feature to re-route the sound.  This method is laborious and kind of fiddly, though, which is why I switched to the first method above.

Edit: I should note, I'm doing this in MC 18, so you may not have the "loopback" option.
OK. I'll try out your first method.
By the way, Should I install/configure "ASIO4ALL kernel wrapper"  first ? Or, just use MC's ASIO options.
I think I have to install/configure ASIO first.
let me know. thanks a lot.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:16:25 pm »

The ASIO line in is available in V17 by going to Tools > Open URL and entering  live://asio. There have been improvements in V18 and it is now an official feature using Tools > Open Live.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:23:16 pm »

Is USB the only output on the record player?

If it has analog connections or digital connections like optical/coaxial then you can use line-in playback in MC18.
If you have a soundcard to dedicate to it, its very simple.

I recently connected an AM/FM tuner and run it through MC.
Info here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77753.0

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:29:09 pm »

I don't see "V17 by going to Tools > Open URL"
Tools top-down menu has no Open URL option. ??

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:02 pm »

Sorry. It is File > Open URL.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 05:47:12 pm »

OK. I'll try out your first method.
By the way, Should I install/configure "ASIO4ALL kernel wrapper"  first ? Or, just use MC's ASIO options.
I think I have to install/configure ASIO first.
let me know. thanks a lot.

If your hardware doesn't support ASIO, you can't really use ASIO, which is where ASIO4ALL comes in.  It isn't really an ASIO driver, it's just software that emulates an ASIO driver and wraps around the windows sound kernel.  If you haven't used ASIO4ALL before it's not the most transparent thing to configure.  Does your turntable have any other outputs you could feed into your regular soundcard's inputs (as suggested above)?  That would probably be easier.

If that's not an option, what I did was download ASIO4ALL, install it, and then enter it's configuration utility.  It should show all of the various sound devices connected to your PC.  Uncheck everything other than the USB turntable (sometimes windows shows the turntable input as a microphone for some reason), then close the ASIO4ALL window.

Then if you open the live ASIO input function (as described by Mojave above), it should be playing the turntable's inputs in real time.  As I noted, I would not recommend using ASIO4ALL as your output driver as it isn't really an ASIO driver, and you'll probably get better results outputting to WASAPI or a native ASIO driver.

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:08:34 pm »

"No ASIO device detected" message at URL.
Any more setting required ?
Thanks.

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 07:12:59 pm »

"No ASIO device detected" message at URL from MC17.
Any more setting required in MC17.
Thanks.
OK. I got it.
I have to install ASIO emulator and configure to support it.
MC17 native can't do itself, I guess. Am I right ?
please advice me.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 07:16:59 pm »

As far as I know there is no way to get JRiver to interface directly with the USB input of a turntable without using ASIO4ALL to make the USB input "look" like an ASIO input or finding other software to play the USB input and looping it back (if there is loopback functionality in MC 17, which I'm not sure about).

If anyone knows a better way, please chime in.

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 07:27:24 pm »

I just installed ASIO4ALL and MC17 line://asio got to work.
MC17 now ASIO4ALL recognized as playback device.
How can I configure ASIO4ALL with MC17 or without ? ASIO4ALL is just becomes sound driver.
Please advice me.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:31:45 pm »

You should have a tray icon for ASIO4ALL that will allow you to configure it in a way that works for you (see my earlier post for more details, basically make sure that your USB input device is selected, and nothing else).

As I said before I would recommend *not* using ASIO4ALL as your playback device for several reasons.  Just configure it to allow the input from your USB turntable and leave your playback settings the way they currently are.

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 07:48:03 pm »

You should have a tray icon for ASIO4ALL that will allow you to configure it in a way that works for you (see my earlier post for more details, basically make sure that your USB input device is selected, and nothing else).

As I said before I would recommend *not* using ASIO4ALL as your playback device for several reasons.  Just configure it to allow the input from your USB turntable and leave your playback settings the way they currently are.
I got configuration menu of ASIO4ALL. but all device active IN/OUT both.
I tried to disable output and use INPUT only but got confused.
How can I disable OUTPUT device from ASIO4ALL config menu ?

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 08:09:47 pm »

Sound came out choppy with WASAPI Event style output mode from ASIO4ALL as an input device.
Any setting can fix this problem ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 08:17:36 pm »

Sound came out choppy with WASAPI Event style output mode from ASIO4ALL as an input device.
Any setting can fix this problem ?

Try adjusting your buffers on either end (either in the ASIO4ALL control panel, or in JRiver's playback options or both).  Try increasing both sets of buffers.  If that doesn't work, try decreasing both.  Paddle around and see what works.  I seem to recall needing to set my buffers relatively low (higher buffers caused stutter), but your specific set up will dictate which settings are best.

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 08:44:07 pm »

I tried both buffer control but no luck.
I am using Benchmark USB DAC as output device don't seems to work well with ASIO.
I may try your 2nd option with Audacity loopback but it seems like you must set recording button in Audacity to get sound out.

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 09:44:11 pm »

I installed MC18 and it supports ASIO Line-in by "Open Live" option.
But sound came out from it so bad as same as low bit rate of MP3 file.
Bellari VP530 is good Tube phono preamp with USB output.
I can't tell what goes wrong with my configuration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up