INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dream Theater's Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour DVD  (Read 2360 times)

bmpadm

• Recent member
Dream Theater's Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour DVD
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:54:15 pm »

Hello everyone out there,

Recentlly I have ripped all my physical DVD collection into MC's Media Library for the obvious advantages it provides. Everything went fine and the dvd playback is working pretty well except for one title.

For some odd and unknown reason I am having issues with the amazing "20th Anniversary World Tour double DVD" from Dream Theater. It plays fine from start to end however I cannot skip tracks -- it simply doesn't work -- nor can I go foward or backwards within a song.

I wonder why this happens because in a real DVD player those discs play fine (I can skip and search without issues) and also, on my previous software player (PowerDVD) this very same ripped version used to work just fine.

Only MC's player seems to exhibit this odd behaviour with this title. And within my collection with this title alone!

Any ideas why?
If someone out there owns this very same DVD, would you please confirm if the skip controls work or not for you on this title?

Thanks in advance,
Fábio.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dream Theater's Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:33:33 pm »

Any ideas why?

Sounds like a decoding problem, either a bug, or (more likely) a Very Odd Disc.

But, there was this change fairly recently.  I wonder if it is something with the new seeking support in LAV?

I've never seen it, but honestly...

I can't remember the last time I played any kind of DVD, and I've never actually played a BluRay in my HTPC (ripped them, yes, played, no).

If you just want to be able to watch your video, just rip it to H264 is my suggestion.  You can set Really High Datarates (set Quality sky high in Quality-based VBR mode, for example) and you'll end up with a beautiful rip, and probably fix the playback problems too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:13:10 am »

The reason is that its just too good and you're not supposed to skip anything but watch it all.  ;D

Just kidding.

I have that one as well, I can test it but I'm not sure when I can do that, may have to wait until the weekend though.

bmpadm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:29:00 am »

The reason is that its just too good and you're not supposed to skip anything but watch it all.  ;D

Just kidding.

I have that one as well, I can test it but I'm not sure when I can do that, may have to wait until the weekend though.

Totally agreed. In fact it's so darn good that I have an urge to replay its best parts, like the solos, over and over again.

Please test it if you can and tell us the result here. I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Fábio.

bmpadm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:54:44 am »

Sounds like a decoding problem, either a bug, or (more likely) a Very Odd Disc.

But, there was this change fairly recently.  I wonder if it is something with the new seeking support in LAV?

I've never seen it, but honestly...

I can't remember the last time I played any kind of DVD, and I've never actually played a BluRay in my HTPC (ripped them, yes, played, no).

If you just want to be able to watch your video, just rip it to H264 is my suggestion.  You can set Really High Datarates (set Quality sky high in Quality-based VBR mode, for example) and you'll end up with a beautiful rip, and probably fix the playback problems too.

Hmmm... I am not an well versed on how a/v codecs really work. But I am tell you that this disc plays fine and very smoothly -- only the seek controls don´t work on it at all.

However I also had PowerDVD on this same machine and could play this same disc without the seeking issues, and the installed codecs were the same.

Does MC use its own codecs for playback or relies on the ones already installed on the machine? Because in my humble (and possibly stupid) opinion both MC and PowerDVD would use the codecs I have already present on my machine, right?

If this is the case then I can't see how that might be caused by a codec issue. Again, I don´t know much about codecs, so I may be very wrong here.

I'd bet it is just a bug or an odd disc.

I just read the thread you mentioned but I could not understand much of it...

Is there any test I can do to try to debug this problem?

Regards.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:57:07 am »

Sure thing.

Ps. Live At Budokan is even better IMO, and not by a small margin too. And it just sounds better. Video quality is better for Ani though.

Wish they would release their concerts on bluray.

bmpadm

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:13:40 am »

Sure thing.

Ps. Live At Budokan is even better IMO, and not by a small margin too. And it just sounds better. Video quality is better for Ani though.

Wish they would release their concerts on bluray.

Hmmm... never watched Live at Budokan but now I am going to give it a try for sure. Thanks for the tip.

bmpadm

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 03:25:56 pm »

Just kidding.

Did you test it? Can you share the results here?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:50:15 am »

Oops, Apologies! I forgot about this.

I'll stick a reminder somewhere to have a look at it this week.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:39 pm »

Quoted for truth!!! Good to see some DT fans around here!  8)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:25:01 am »

Did you test it? Can you share the results here?

I'm ripping it now and will test it in a few minutes.

A lot has changed though, MC is not the same version as it was and LAV has been updated with quite a few changes, including things to improve dvd playback.

If you haven't done so, I strongly suggest you update to the latest version from the top of the board.

Will update with the results in a bit.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:34 pm »

Again, sorry for the delay.

It seems to work fine here, no trouble skipping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up