INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver running from Ramdisk  (Read 2137 times)

adlelare

• World Citizen
JRiver running from Ramdisk
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:56:19 pm »

Hi folks,

First post i believe, long time user of JRiver and very satisfied. I use it on my PC on my Samsung phone and on my home network (via TV, Receiver, and PS3 (this integration is very cool as it solves a serious PS limitation).  I use audio, pictures and video function.

I have a question has anyone ever loaded, launched and operated JRiver via a Ramdisk.  A Ramdisk is setting aside a part of your computers ram memory for use as a drive.  The read write speeds are astonishing quick and far better than even a SATA III SSD (I use CrystalDiskMark for benchmarking).  It reduces both SSD and CPU load, and as my PC is from 2006 (XP, VISTA, WIN& and now WIN8, x64) and is in constant heavy use (often at 100% load, which can then cause lag, etc.) i'm trying to find a better way.  I currently use a Ramdisk (set a 2gb) but only for Internet browsing (very much underusing the Ramdisk) and i am now trying to expand its use.

Another Q i use keywords for my picture library that gets picked up by my TV (a nice LG 3D full Inet machine) and works very well, but i'm not having any luck trying to get my home videos set up the same way.  Is there an "output" feature on JRiver i need to turn on to make this happen???

TIA

PS i'm a Canuck and we finally (in S Ontario) got winter yesterday.  Yeah.

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: JRiver running from Ramdisk
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:22 pm »

The read write speeds are astonishing quick and far better than even a SATA III SSD (I use CrystalDiskMark for benchmarking).
It's far better than a SATA III SSD in real world MediaCenter use by human beings, or it's far better than a SATA III SSD in the numbers reported to the benchmark ?

In PC use, you can get benefit from speeding up those things that are a "bottleneck" - everything else in the PC is waiting for that to finish.   If you speed up something that is already faster than the bottleneck, you will see better numbers, but it won't really be faster.

If your PC has more RAM than the Peak Usage, then MC18's executable is always in RAM.

Whereas the files being accessed - music library or movie library - are collectively far bigger than the total RAM, so you are always going to be accessing a hard drive initially.

If you have "memory play" option turned on in MC18, then even the file being currently played is in memory, if it is available.

So, I am not sure what is being improved ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:44:46 pm »

It's far better than a SATA III SSD in real world MediaCenter use by human beings, or it's far better than a SATA III SSD in the numbers reported to the benchmark ?

In PC use, you can get benefit from speeding up those things that are a "bottleneck" - everything else in the PC is waiting for that to finish.   If you speed up something that is already faster than the bottleneck, you will see better numbers, but it won't really be faster.

If your PC has more RAM than the Peak Usage, then MC18's executable is always in RAM.

Whereas the files being accessed - music library or movie library - are collectively far bigger than the total RAM, so you are always going to be accessing a hard drive initially.

If you have "memory play" option turned on in MC18, then even the file being currently played is in memory, if it is available.

Yep.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:53:48 pm »

JRMark Score  8)

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:55:10 pm »

thanks for the response,

i didn't even really know of "memory play" until you posted and that i believe is what i was trying to figure out how to do, and after i read your post i switched it on right away.  that is the good thing about JR it has huge capability way beyond the limits of my time or audiophile or software or hardware knowledge, and still i'm one very happy user and continually get to learn summin new from folks like you who know more.  so here's a followon stupid ass Q, does memory play only work when playing through my PC or does it also work that if i play through my network where audio files are stored on a NAS and say i'm playing audio both through the network on PC at the same time??? TIA

and BTW i highly rec'ed JR to someone today, we were chatting about the good, bad and ugly of wireless networking in a house full of cell phones and laptops and...i informed him that i fell upon Powerline networking and that it had really improved quality (no more delays waits stalls, etc.) and that JR was much now stupendous on the PS3 (which again i fell upon by accident), so it all helps (he was very intrigued and could be a buyer of JR in the near future).

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:33:15 am »

does memory play only work when playing through my PC or does it also work that if i play through my network where audio files are stored on a NAS and say i'm playing audio both through the network on PC at the same time??? TIA

Although the feature exists I would recommend to leave it off unless you believe you hear a difference or if you somehow need it (ie, have a problem otherwise). Playback from memory can introduce delays in playback as the file needs to be loaded in memory entirely before playback starts, this is especially true when files are loaded from a relatively slow storage device like a NAS and when files are big (high resolution lossless files, for instance).
Pages: [1]   Go Up