INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: volume low while watching movies  (Read 3225 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
volume low while watching movies
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:04:42 am »

I recently switched over from xbmc / j.river setup to j.river exclusively and watched my first movie via j.river last night.

I am accessing the movie (1080p .mkv) over my home wireless lan (300mbps max, I get 130mbps), it goes to the computer downstairs and then via a hdmi cable over to my hdmi switching audio receiver which then feeds the signal to my tv. (I am using the onboard sound chip on the computer, no 3rd party sound card)

The video plays great but the volume is so low that I have to crank the audio receiver volume up to about 55 in order to get a decent volume, for comparison, I watch my cable tv shows at a volume of about 25.

related audio settings:
audio output = direct sound
device = primary sound driver and default channels
dsp output = none
bit streaming = none
disable display from turning off (hdmi audio) = on
volume = system volume
volume protection = off
max volume = 100

related video settings:
adaptive volume = light

Is there some kind of settings i get change in options so I don't have to crank my audio receiver up in order to get a decent volume during watching a movie?

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: volume low while watching movies
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:08:38 am »

There are several volume choices.  The wiki has information on that.

But also check the Windows mixer to see what the levels are set to there.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:42 am »

Are you downmixing the audio at all? That will usually lower volume considerably compared to other sources. (especially if you're going from 5.1/7.1 to stereo)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:42 am »

I see you're using Directshow Output.

You may want to try, first, working through the Audio Setup Guide in the Wiki before you proceed.  Unless you're on Windows XP with junky hardware, you should probably be using WASAPI Event Style (or something other than Directshow).

I don't think that'll solve your Volume problem, but it should help get it into a "known good" state.

Also, check to be sure you don't have anything odd activated under the DSP Studio.  If you have Volume Leveling, Room Correction, EQ, or any other filters enabled other than Output Format, try deactivating them and see if it fixes it.

If so, re-enable one at a time and figure out where you went wrong.

Otherwise, Adaptive Volume Light should increase the volume of AC3 sources to fill available dynamic range (they are often mixed very low).  However, I should add, that I don't know if MC will do the same with DTS, DTS-MA, and Dolby TrueHD sources, so for those, you may indeed need to increase volume levels.

Also, yes, as Jim indicated, consider what Volume mode to use.  If you can deal with the side-effects, Internal is best.  This is more difficult when you have a multi-function HTPC that will use other applications that depend on the System Volume control (mostly games and web browser stuff), but the internal Volume control in MC is more capable and higher quality.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 11:44:54 am »

Also, yes, as Jim indicated, consider what Volume mode to use.  If you can deal with the side-effects, Internal is best.  This is more difficult when you have a multi-function HTPC that will use other applications that depend on the System Volume control (mostly games and web browser stuff), but the internal Volume control in MC is more capable and higher quality.
Huh, if I understand this correctly, you are actually better to use "Internal Volume" and leave it at 100%, rather than disabling volume control altogether? (I control volume at the amplifier)
Pages: [1]   Go Up