INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Failed to load JR Tools"  (Read 13243 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
"Failed to load JR Tools"
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:51:00 pm »

Had not used MC18 for some(?) time and tried to open today.  MC18 would not load.  Instead got a popup saying the "JR Tools failed to load. Reinstall latest version". 

Did not want to lose MC settings for my DAC, library, etc. so tried to do "System Restore" first.  Only went back a couple of days but got same error message.  Not sure if I should try earlier Restore point or what.

BTW, used my Registration Key to get Install Code for putting MC18 on a second computer.  Could this have somehow messed up the original MC18 install on the first computer?

How many computers can have MC18 installed under the same Install Code?  From what I read on Wiki, it looks like several.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Failed to load JR Tools"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:01:42 pm »

Just reinstall.

It won't wipe your settings.  If it does, there should be a few Library Backups here
<My Documents>\JRiver\Media Center 18\Library Backups\

The automatic Library Backups include all settings and the full library.

If you have trouble with MC launching at all (you never get the chance to pick from the built-in troubleshooter), basic troubleshooting steps would be (testing after each step):

0. Reboot.  Sometimes something is just "stuck" (usually with the Explorer shell extensions, in my experience).
1. Reinstall the latest build "over top" of your existing install.  This preserves ALL settings and won't hurt anything.
2. Uninstall the current build, making sure to DISABLE the options to remove the Library(!) and Settings.  Then, reboot, then reinstall the current build (again, this will preserve all settings and the Library).
3. Uninstall the current build, DISABLING the option to remove the Library, but enabling the option to remove the settings (this will reset corrupted settings).  Reboot, reinstall the current build.
4. If none of the above work (or if you're sure you have a good backup and you just want to skip jumping through the hoops, uninstall and enable both options (remove Library and Settings), and then reboot, and reinstall.

(You may need to re-license MC after some of these steps, but just ignore it and run in trial mode until you get it fixed.)

This last method will give you a blank install of MC, which will then start up (if not, you have more serious Windows/Hardware trouble).  Then, you can try restoring from the backups available (automatically in the directory I specified above, but you can move them if you want), which will get you back to the way you were before.

To restore a Library Backup once you're up and running, check the info in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76170.msg530471#msg530471
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:17:17 pm »

A reboot might also solve it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:30:38 pm »

A reboot might also solve it.

Right, that was step 0.

He would have already rebooted if he did a System Restore, I think, though.

I think the version of JRTools.dll got out of sync with the installation of MC, somehow.  Perhaps from some previous (unrelated) system restore?  Maybe JRTools.dll got rolled back, but the rest of MC didn't?

I don't know.  I bet, in this case, just reinstalling over top will fix it.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 02:49:33 pm »

I have a lot of problems with JRtools being a problem when upgrading builds on my work machine. Never my other computers. I often have to restart to get it working. Sometimes a retry fixes it. I have no idea what's so special with this machine however. Perhaps it's some development tools like visual studio having an impact on some files? I don't know.

Anyhow.. Not a huge problem. Just though I'd mention it since another person also have problems with this tools.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:02:42 pm »

I've seen it happen a handful of times, but not often.

I think it happens when JRTools is in-use while you run an update to MC.  The installer checks to see if MC itself is still running, and when MC isn't running, then JRTools shouldn't be running either.  But if something gets "stuck" (again, I think it is usually Shell Integration, and might be worse if you have other weird shell integration tools running), then MC itself will be unloaded, but JRTools is still "running" if you look in Process Explorer.

If you install when you are in that state, JRTools doesn't get updated because the installer can't write to a locked file.  That's when MC tells you it has to reboot, but if something went wrong, it could get all hosed.

Uninstall (preserving settings).  Reboot (DON'T SKIP THIS STEP). Reinstall should fix that all up if it ever happens.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 03:19:06 pm »

Just reinstall.

It won't wipe your settings.  If it does, there should be a few Library Backups here
<My Documents>\JRiver\Media Center 18\Library Backups\

The automatic Library Backups include all settings and the full library.

If you have trouble with MC launching at all (you never get the chance to pick from the built-in troubleshooter), basic troubleshooting steps would be (testing after each step):

0. Reboot.  Sometimes something is just "stuck" (usually with the Explorer shell extensions, in my experience).
1. Reinstall the latest build "over top" of your existing install.  This preserves ALL settings and won't hurt anything.
2. Uninstall the current build, making sure to DISABLE the options to remove the Library(!) and Settings.  Then, reboot, then reinstall the current build (again, this will preserve all settings and the Library).
3. Uninstall the current build, DISABLING the option to remove the Library, but enabling the option to remove the settings (this will reset corrupted settings).  Reboot, reinstall the current build.
4. If none of the above work (or if you're sure you have a good backup and you just want to skip jumping through the hoops, uninstall and enable both options (remove Library and Settings), and then reboot, and reinstall.

(You may need to re-license MC after some of these steps, but just ignore it and run in trial mode until you get it fixed.)

This last method will give you a blank install of MC, which will then start up (if not, you have more serious Windows/Hardware trouble).  Then, you can try restoring from the backups available (automatically in the directory I specified above, but you can move them if you want), which will get you back to the way you were before.

To restore a Library Backup once you're up and running, check the info in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76170.msg530471#msg530471

Thanks, Jim, etal.  Pretty new to using MC18 which I updated from MC17 several months ago and used without problem.  Using library on multiple computers is a bit confusing.

System WAS rebooted after doing a system restore.  MC18 still gave the "tools" message.  Do NOT believe the other "tools" issues mentioned by <glynor> and/or <MrHaugen> are relevant in my case.

What do you mean by "automatic library backups"?  The only library "backups" I am aware of are those that I have created using "library tools" where I save a library in the event that I mess something up during editing, etc.

I have external HDD which I am using for storing music files and the "backups" created as noted above.  IF I go to JRiver folder in MyDocuments on the internal harddrive, the only thing I find is MC17 -->  MC Library Backup (Main Library - September) which I assume is from when I did the original install.  Did NOT see any MC18 folder under MyDocuments!?

When you say "over top", I assume that means without uninstalling first?

IF I do need to uninstall, I assume the options for disabling the options to remove the Library(!) and Settings show up in a dialog box?

Re the second computer, since when I switch the HDD between the two machines, the drive names are different (G: on old; J: on new), is there someway I can use the library backup created on the old system with the new one and not have to reinvent the wheel?  OR do I just create a new library on the new machine from the same files on the HDD?

Hopefully I have provided sufficient detail.  Your assistance...and patience are appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 04:16:03 pm »

What do you mean by "automatic library backups"?  The only library "backups" I am aware of are those that I have created using "library tools" where I save a library in the event that I mess something up during editing, etc.

MC automatically saves Library Backups periodically.  This isn't "backups" of the tags in an individual file, but is a snapshot of the entire MC database (and view setup and all settings).

These are saved to the JRiver folder in your My Documents folder by default.  If you look there, you'll almost certainly see a bunch of backup ZIP files.  You can move the default location via the Option in MC at:
Options > File Location > Program Files > Library backups

If you have more than one hard drive, it is recommended to move this location to a DIFFERENT disk from the one where your real Library is stored (so one disk failure doesn't take out both the Library itself and the backups).

When you say "over top", I assume that means without uninstalling first?

Yes.

IF I do need to uninstall, I assume the options for disabling the options to remove the Library(!) and Settings show up in a dialog box?

Yes.

Re the second computer, since when I switch the HDD between the two machines, the drive names are different (G: on old; J: on new), is there someway I can use the library backup created on the old system with the new one and not have to reinvent the wheel?  OR do I just create a new library on the new machine from the same files on the HDD?

Yes.  You can restore the Library and it will open fine, but all the links to the files will be broken.  That will, however, get all of your Views back the way they were.  You can either "move" the "broken" files using the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool to the proper spot (Find and Replace the drive letters), or just run Auto-Import on the proper directory (with the Fix Broken Links option enabled) and it'll fix it up.

HOWEVER... You should change it so both machines use the same drive letter for the files, or you're going to have to do this over and over again.

You can reassign drive letters in Windows, and it will remember to assign the same disk the same letter when you plug it in again.  Right click on My Computer on your Desktop or in the Start Menu, and then choose Manage.  In the Management Console that appears, choose Disk Management.  Then, in the Disk Manager, find the disk partition in question in the list, right click, and choose Change Drive Letters and Path.  From there, you can change the drive letter (or even remove it entirely to make it inaccessible to Windows).

When you unplug the drive and plug it back in, it'll remember the last-used drive letter assignment, unless it is already in-use at the time (upon which it uses "assign the lowest letter in the alphabet available after C method").

If you have LOTS of USB/external drives to deal with and they overlap all the time and cause other problems, check out the USBDLM add-on for Windows.  It is handy, though isn't the easiest thing to get set up in the world.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:27:46 pm »

Have you installed any "security" software or any fishy software like a registry cleaner recently?

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 01:26:13 pm »

Thanks for the How-To for reassigning drive designation.
IF I reassign drive designation of external HDD, do I do it once say on computer "X" and then it will be seen as this new designation on computers "Y" and "Z"? ...OR do I need to repeat on each computer that it might be connected to?

I DID go back to (original) computer "A" under MyDocuments and the only <MC Library Backup> is dated September of last year.  However, there are a number of backup files on the external HDD where I got in the habit of putting MY manual library backups.  How frequently does MC automatically backup?  Automatic scheduling could be an issue since the HDD is not always connected (or powered up) when I am not actually using MC.

I do not use a registry cleaner.  I DID change "security" software from McAfee to Microsoft Security Essentials which, for better or worse, is now my default security program which runs in the background.  Unfortunately, not sure if this install preceded or succeeded installation of MC17 and upgrade to MC18 on its release.  Maybe I need to keep a computer change diary!

Music servers are hard...!   ;)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 12:41:58 pm »

Since I received JR email re upgrade to MC18, thought I would use this link to "overstall" it in hopes it would solve my JRTools issue.  First thing I got when accessed link was dialog box with:
"Following module has failed to load: C:Program Files\J River\Media Center 18\ JRiver.exe.  It has reported the following critical error: Failed to load JRTools.  Please reinstall the latest version of the program.  [OK]"

Hitting [OK] cleared the dialog box and MC18 apparently loaded properly, even without providing license code, since happily the program opened to the MC18 screen.  It looked like my "Audio" screen was OK, so I immediately did a backup of the Library.

Tried to playback a selection and it appears that system settings for use of external DAC are also OK tho' I did discover an unrelated problem with an audio component.

Thanks to all who helped in my working thru this issue.  At least I now know how to resolve a recurrence confident that library/system settings will not be lost if I "overstall".

Some additional clarification on the Install Key process would be appreciated...

I had requested/received a new Install Key yesterday (since it was past my original 14 days with the old key) after entering in my email address and inputting the license code.  I subsequently installed MC18 successfully on a second computer.
It is not clear to me why I received a JR system message for trialing MC18 after I "overstalled" it today on the (original) computer where I was having the JRTools issue.

Could JimH or someone please provide clarification of the process to:

1) Reinstall/overstall MC on a machine where is was previously installed hopefully without incurring a charge;

2) Install MC on another computer under existing License which I understand is acceptable under the license, again without incurring a charge; 

3) Indicate how many computers a licensed user can install MC on, e.g., I will shortly be receiving a new (third) machine which I will use as dedicated music server (while ultimately mothballing the original/first machine);

BTW, congrats on releasing the MAC beta of MC.  I have numerous audio society compatriots who have been eagerly awaiting its release.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 01:24:22 pm »

1) Reinstall/overstall MC on a machine where is was previously installed hopefully without incurring a charge;

2) Install MC on another computer under existing License which I understand is acceptable under the license, again without incurring a charge; 

3) Indicate how many computers a licensed user can install MC on, e.g., I will shortly be receiving a new (third) machine which I will use as dedicated music server (while ultimately mothballing the original/first machine);

BTW, congrats on releasing the MAC beta of MC.  I have numerous audio society compatriots who have been eagerly awaiting its release.

1) I'm not sure what happened here.  But you can install MC as many times as you want (essentially).  Once you register (license) a particular copy of MC, it shouldn't ever ask you to do it again unless you COMPLETELY uninstall it (removing all settings).  I upgrade new builds almost every day by just installing "over top" of my existing install.  Even if you uninstall first (which is almost never necessary unless you have a problem), as long as you "preserve settings", it'll remember your registration.

2) You can install MC on as many machines as you, personally, own and "control" with one license.  Each MJR file is valid for 14 days, and you can use it on as many machines as you'd like within that 14-days.  If you wait too long, no big deal, just use the built-in Restore From Internet option, and it'll generate a new MJR file for you.  You can do this (called a "restore") 10 times per rolling 12-month period.  If you have trouble, and you run out of restores, don't worry about it if you aren't doing something shady like installing it on 300 PCs in an office.  Just come back here and ask to have your Restores reset, with a brief explanation of what happened to cause you to use them all up.  I've never seen Jim be difficult about this.

3) As I mentioned in #2, you are allowed to install it on as many PCs as you personally own and control, with only one license.  This is basically an honor system rule, but the 10-restores-per-year limit is designed to "enforce" this.  If you have three PCs at home and they're all your own personal Family machines?  Absolutely, install it on all of them.  If you work in an office with 15 workstations regularly used by 15 different people?  No, then you should have separate licenses.  But those people are welcome to also install it at home, if they'd like.

TO BE CLEAR:

The MJR file is the mechanism by which you apply a license to an installed copy of MC.
The MJR file expires after 14 days.  The LICENSE does not.
You can re-generate a new MJR file at any time by choosing the Restore from Internet option that MC gives you in the Registration dialog.  You can do this 10 times per year (but don't worry if you need more for a legit reason).

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:08:48 pm »

Thanks for clarification, glynor!

1) This was my understanding with the now added knowledge that the system settings as well as the library are retained;

2) Good to know; I assume that receiving the email re issuance of a new MJR is more a confirmation to me since it does not appear that I have NOT needed to do anything with this file(?) unless I am missing some point;

3) All installations would be on personal PCs, so multiple licenses are not an issue for me;

Since JR system just asked how my trial is going, I will need to see if it asks for money after 30 days.

Grey Friar

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 11:55:13 am »

I had been using MC 16 for over a year without incident, then purchased an upgrade to MC 17 in Feb. of 2012.  In December of 2012, I changed to a new computer and re-registered MC-17, again without a problem.  In January of this year, however, MC informed me that my temporary license of 30 days had expired...so I restored again.  Today same problem.  I'm going to run out of restores if this keeps happening every 30 days.  Any thoughts on what's happening?

I don't know if this has any bearing on the issue  -- but my new computer uses a solid-state drive in a Raid 0 configuration with the main Drive for booting.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 12:40:29 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  There are several things that will trigger the demo mode.  Changing the system name or date can do it.  You can extend your restores by using the 30 day trial period before restoring.

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 02:54:55 pm »

Hate to jump on an old thread, but I am having similar JRTools failed to load problem. I started MC18 (an earlier version) today and it failed to load. I read through various threads here and it looked like an uninstall would be a smart thing to do. I did a complete uninstall (both boxes checked) for MC18 and MC17. Rebooted, disabled Security Essentials. Tried to install the latest version of MC18. Tried many times. No go. Kept getting errors in different files accompanied by the JRTools failed to load warning.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 02:57:42 pm »

Try the latest build.  It's 18.0.187 and it's in a thread at the top of the MC18 board.

What is your OS?

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 05:45:54 pm »

Is it newer than what's on the Download page? If so I'll give it a try.

Win7 x64 Ultimate.

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 05:57:25 pm »

Hmm, I have a feeling the problem is with the JRiver supplied version of the HDTracks Download Manager.

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 04:45:30 pm »

Trying the latest version didn't help. I think there's a conflict with the HDTracks downloader, but I'd like to see if JimH can confirm that before I uninstall it.

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 09:10:05 pm »

JimH?

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 03:09:29 pm »

Anybody?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 04:48:26 pm »

I'd be surprised, but perhaps worth a try.  You can always reinstall it later.

Pages: [1]   Go Up