INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some 1080P MKVs locking up WD TV Live SMP [addressed by remux]  (Read 2746 times)

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
Some 1080P MKVs locking up WD TV Live SMP [addressed by remux]
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:26:31 am »

Hi,

MC 18.0.129
WD TV Live SMP Firmware 1.12.14

Reading the threads I've noticed several reports of issues using the WD TV Live as a DLNA player and or renderer.  I've had a few problems using the WD unit with video content & am never sure if the issue is with the content, the WD firmware, the network or MC; there're simply too many variables and unknowns.

I've been experiencing issues with a couple of 1080P MKVs containing VC-1 video & AC3 audio.  They play perfectly in MC, but totally lock up the WD device during playback - at a guess between 40 & 70 minutes in.  The only way to recover was power restart of the WD unit & shutdown restart of the MC services.   I'd tried creating the MKV version several times with no luck. 

I came across a post on the WD community forum (I'll post the link if I can find it again) indicating a compatibility issue with the MKV writing library & the WD TV Live device.  My MKVs were all generated from various versions of makeMKV (as an example writing library = libmakemkv v1.7.9 (1.2.0/1.1.0) win(x64-release)).  I recently remuxed a couple of these files with mkvmerge (writing library = libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0) & am happy to report they successfully played on the WD TV Live device (as a DLNA player).  I'm hoping not a fluke they played through for the 1st time ever.

So I'm still unsure where the fault lies (guessing writing library or WD firmware), but have a workaround. 

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing issues,

Steve

Arcturus

• World Citizen
Re: Some 1080P MKVs locking up WD TV Live SMP [addressed by remux]
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »

This problem is solely on the WDTV side of things. I have tested the newer model WDTV Live that I bought for my mom and did not experience that problem. The problem I got with that box at the time though was it not wanting to play nice with JRiver. It would show up as a zone would would not play when played to.

Pages: [1]   Go Up