INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error using RDP to access HTPC ....  (Read 1158 times)

apostos

• World Citizen
Error using RDP to access HTPC ....
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:29 am »

I am greeted with a screen displaying this error message ‘Error drawing using Direct3D – (device lost)’ whenever I access my HTPC remotely and MC is running in Theater View. (no issue using Standard View)

(MC typically runs in Theater View as part of the 10’ experience - I use remote access to manage settings and data on the HTPC.)

To gain access to MC from the screen with the error message, I typically ALT-TAB to bring up the desktop, access the (now visible) taskbar, right click the MC 18 icon and select ‘Close window’ from the menu. MC then presents itself to me in Standard View and I am able to use the program normally. And I’m able to switch views CTRL-1/CTRL-4  without incident from then on.

The HTPC is currently running Win 8 Pro. I’ve experienced this error with both a NVidia 210 card and the on-chip Intel 3000 graphics engine. I don’t recall having this issue on the Win 7 OS.

I’m running the latest version of MC on the HTPC. 18.0.129 (2/5/2013). Latest drivers, etc.

Anyone else experiencing/have experience with this error message?

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Error using RDP to access HTPC ....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 03:20:28 pm »

The built in RDP program in Windows 8 does not support Direct3D and MC makes use of that when in Theaterview.
I am sure that you had this problem when you used Windows 7 as well.
As I remember when 'trapped' in RDP, I hit ESC, ESC and Enter to exit Theaterview.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:35:24 pm »

You may be right, (about Win 7 & RDP) I’m getting old and my short term memory is about shot!

What I don’t understand is the nature of the error. It only shows on the initial connection. Once the connection is established MC displays properly in all views. If Direct3D wasn’t supported wouldn’t Theater View fail all the time?

Building on the ESC, ESC suggestion I’ve found that CTRL-1 or CTRL-4 will bring up the Standard View to.

Render me confused ….

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:31:50 pm »

F11 is also a three-way toggle between Theater/Standard/Display (Full Screen) views.

I keep that mapped to a button on my remote.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:44:07 am »

I had the problem as well being a die hard RDP user for as long as it exists. I moved to UltraVNC with the mirror driver. It actually works better  ::).

Although on Win8 I have the problem that the screen isn't always updated. I need to play around with the settings as I'm sure something there fixes this.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:06:28 am »

My RDP oddness that I stumbled on the other day was that MC (and other programs) are unable to decrypt DVDs for ripping or playback if you start with an RDP connection. VNC is no trouble, and if you've accessed the DVD locally, then switch to RDP, there appears to be no trouble.

Back to UltraVNC for me too...
brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up