INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking advice - JRiver vs Mezzmo (or other) for DLNA  (Read 1908 times)

JoeH

• Recent member
Seeking advice - JRiver vs Mezzmo (or other) for DLNA
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:30:47 am »

Hello. I am looking into purchasing either JRiver or Mezzmo. I want to use DLNA to play Blu-rays or DVDs which I have ripped to my computer hard drive as folder structures. I am particularly interested in the program being able to reliably stream over an Ethernet connection all the original video, audio, and subtitle tracks of original Blu-rays or occasionally of remuxed MKVs without transcoding (including of TrueHD or DTS-MA). I will be streaming to a Sony BDP-S490 Blu-ray player which supposedly supports all these formats over DLNA.

Any thoughts on whether JRiver or Mezzmo (or maybe something else) would be better suited to what I am looking to do? Any advantages or disadvantages of either that I should take into account? Thanks in advance.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Seeking advice - JRiver vs Mezzmo (or other) for DLNA
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 06:09:52 am »

Well, I can only say that JRiver works!  To be honest, I've not tried multiple audio tracks and subtitle tracks as I always strip them out after ripping and remuxing to get the "leanest" possible file, but I'm sure this all works.  I use JRiver to stream via DLNA to a WDTV Live, using AVIs or MKVs, and the DD/DTS soundtrack is there.

I don't know about Mezzmo, but one huge advantage of JRiver over other media servers is the complete flexibility you have in defining your DLNA views and browsing structure.  It will derive lots of metadata about movies and TV series automatically but you can also set up as many custom tags/items of data as you want and you can include any of them in your browsing menus, ordered and categorised however you want.

Note that you have a 30-day free trial of JRiver if you download it, so if your movies are already there and ripped than just point JRiver at your movies folder and import them. See what data it gleans automatically, see how else you might like to cagegorise your collectiuon, and set up your DLNA views.
Pages: [1]   Go Up