INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAC, .ape and JRiver 18  (Read 3166 times)

Fabrice

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
EAC, .ape and JRiver 18
« on: February 16, 2013, 05:27:39 pm »

I've rebuilt my PC entirely after a nasty crash, so cannot go back to my previous versions for comparison, and I'm now using jriver 18.129 (previously used v17) as well as EAC 1.0 beta 3 (previously .95 beta 4)

I have a library of several thousand CDs all ripped to .ape using EAC and then imported into JRiver. When I ran jriver 18 to rebuild the library (my audio files were on a separate disk, thankfully), everything went smoothly and all the tags were recogmised.

When I rip new CDs with EAC, I am quite certain that the rips are fine because the file names are complete and correct when looking checking using windows explorer.

However, when I import new files into JRiver 18.129, I have 2 problems which I did not used to have with older versions: (1) jriver only seems to read the first 30 characters of the fields (for instance name of the track or album title - sounds like an old IDv1 restriction?), and (2) jriver does not recognise special characters, such as letters with accents which are very common in German or Italian classical music references, for instance.

I rip using ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags. I have also tried with and without UTF16 and all sorts of other combinations using ID3V2.4 etc.

Is there a special setting within jriver or EAC that I should be aware of?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: EAC, .ape and JRiver 18
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:10:22 pm »

You should use APEv2 tags. ID3 is not the correct format for Monkey's Audio. MC has legacy support only for ID3v1 tags in APE files.

To create APEv2 tags with EAC you need wapet.exe in addition to mac.exe. You can find instructions here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Monkey's_Audio

Alternatively you could just use MC for ripping. MC's secure ripping mode is quite good.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:05:40 pm »

You should use APEv2 tags. ID3 is not the correct format for Monkey's Audio. MC has legacy support only for ID3v1 tags in APE files.

To create APEv2 tags with EAC you need wapet.exe in addition to mac.exe. You can find instructions here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Monkey's_Audio

Alternatively you could just use MC for ripping. MC's secure ripping mode is quite good.
Alex B - you have a PM.

Fabrice

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:14:27 am »

Alex,

Many thanks for your help. I am using wapet and it is configured properly (which I forgot to mention - apologies). However, I had also ticked the box "add ID3 tag" in the "external compression" tab under "compression options" as I thought that I could have both apev2 and id3 tags for maximum player compatibility. This might have confused jriver or created a tag mixup.

Unticking the "add ID3 tag" solved the issue.

Thank you very much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up