INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avatars; personal and installing...  (Read 2905 times)

REShaman

• Recent member
Avatars; personal and installing...
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:56:59 am »

Hello All,

New to the forum having just recently purchased a few days ago the pre-order license in contemplation of the 02/22/13 release.

I am also a member at the CA Forum (ComputerAudiophile.com) where I can easily upload a .jpg file from my Pictures folder on my computer to use as my avatar. This is awkward for me, but, I can only find a method that only allows linking to a URL on the web as the source for a personal picture. Consequently, I am at a loss as to how to "attach" my personal avatar to my account here at Interactive J River MCM-18. Anyone: Is there a mechanism for accomplishing uploading my personal avatar? Any help is appreciated. In any case, happy to be here.

Best,
Richard
REShaman

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Avatars; personal and installing...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:16:59 pm »

Hi Richard,

Welcome!

To use your own avatar, you need to upload it somewhere. Unfortunately the board does not allow you to upload a picture to it. Any picture hosting website would suffice as long as you can reference the file directly.

Please note that the avatar needs to be a certain size before you can use it. If I remember correctly, it was a 100x100 pixels maximum.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:57 pm »

Actually, you can sneak it in.  Attach an image file (if you have attachment rights) to your post above.  It will show up as a thumbnail.  Right-click the thumbnail and copy the URL.  Use that as your avatar.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:36:51 pm »

That's cheeky!  ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:46:06 pm »

Actually, you can sneak it in.  Attach an image file (if you have attachment rights) to your post above.  It will show up as a thumbnail.  Right-click the thumbnail and copy the URL.  Use that as your avatar.

I don't think you get attachment rights immediately.  I think it is only after a certain number of posts (though it is low, I think, just to keep the drive-by-spammers at bay).

In any case, if you want to try to use this, it is under Additional Options down at the bottom of the Edit/Compose post window of the forum.

PS.  Jim, it might be nice to have a few of these threads collected/linked to in the Is This Support? Thread.

PPS.  There should also be a copy of that thread stickied to the top of this board.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

REShaman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:50:27 am »

Thank you all for the "welcome" and the "hints" on how to accomplish what the Board decided to make difficult. Perhaps, there is a good reason for doing so. In any case, the creative suggestions were interesting to read. I shall be patient and play by the rules.
Best,
Richard

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:23:45 am »

In case it helps, JRiver Media Center has a free image hosting site called Pix01, which you can use to host your avatar.  Just select the picture you want in Media Center (make sure it follows size regulations for avatars), then right click the photo, then click "send to web..." and it will take you thru uploading it to the Pix01 site, and you'll get an email with a link to the gallery.  Open this link, then right click the photo/avatar, and you can use this for your avatar.

no 'cheating' required :)
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:37:38 am »

Make the image upload "private".  That way, you can still use it, but it won't be displayed in the image gallery.

REShaman

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:47:17 am »

In case it helps, JRiver Media Center has a free image hosting site called Pix01, which you can use to host your avatar.  Just select the picture you want in Media Center (make sure it follows size regulations for avatars), then right click the photo, then click "send to web..." and it will take you thru uploading it to the Pix01 site, and you'll get an email with a link to the gallery.  Open this link, then right click the photo/avatar, and you can use this for your avatar.

no 'cheating' required :)

Appreciate both your solution and sense of humor. I believe, though, I must wait for the initiation on February 22nd when Media Center becomes available to me for DL and install as a pre-order licensee. Then I shall proceed with your thoughtful advice.
Best,
Richard

REShaman

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:49:43 am »

Make the image upload "private".  That way, you can still use it, but it won't be displayed in the image gallery.

Jim,
Good hint. Would not have known to do so. Appreciate your thoughtfulness. And the support I just received twice this morning. In three days I should (may) have JRMCM18 to DL and install. Then advance my knowledge provided by my support team into action.
Thank you all. :)
Best,
Richard

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:08:04 am »

Wasn't MC for Mac Audio only or is Images (and Pix01 service) working too?

I was going to suggest this too but then I realized its the Mac part of the forum and I was under the assumption this wasn't implemented yet.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:09:12 am »

Wasn't MC for Mac Audio only or is Images (and Pix01 service) working too?
MC Mac will initially be audio only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up