INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'In Tags' i changed 'media type' to Music Video by mistake and now  (Read 1165 times)

pec

i can' see my videos to fix it...i now know what i did wrong but can't figure out how to fix it.

in tags MEDIA TYPE then u change the sub i changed MEDIA TYPE = Video what i changed was the video to music video by typing over video....

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 'In Tags' i changed 'media type' to Music Video by mistake and now
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:12:33 pm »

You didn't change [Media Type], you changed [Media Sub Type].

Unfortunately, Media Sub Type could have been set to either TV Show or Movie, depending on the source file.  Did you reset only a few, or a whole bunch?

If only a few, you can change them back.  You'll need to find them in a view in Media Center, then select them and open the Tag Action Window.  If you don't have Media Sub Type listed as one of the available fields, click on the button in the upper-right side of the Tag Action Window, and choose Also Show > Media Sub Type.  Now it will be.  You can change them to the appropriate type from here.

If you changed a whole bunch, it might be easier to restore your Library from a backup.  MC automatically makes backups in your My Documents folder by default (in the ~\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 18\Library Backups\ folder).  They are clearly labeled by date.  Check in that folder.  If you have a library backup in there from recently, but before you made the mistake, you could just restore the backup, and it'll put you back to that point.

To restore the backup, in MC go to File > Library > Restore Library.  Browse and find the backup you found, and proceed.  You don't have to let it restore settings, as this isn't relevant for what you messed up, you only need the Library itself.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 'In Tags' i changed 'media type' to Music Video by mistake and now
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:36:51 pm »

No problem.

In the future, it is perfectly safe to change the [Media Sub Type] for a file if it is wrong.

The Media Sub Type field is a special field that MC uses to categorize different kinds of media files (including video files).  It is used by the default views to separate Movies from TV Shows from Music Videos, for example.  So, if you have a file that is a music video (I use that category for both Concert Videos and for real Music Videos, but I don't have a whole bunch of either), go ahead and change it from whatever it is to "Music Video".  Likewise, if you have a Movie that is showing up as a TV Show, or a TV Show showing up as a movie (as often happens with long 2-hour season finales and whatnot), you can change those.  This will make the Metadata lookup system work right, and will make them show up "filed" in the right place.

But make sure you only change the files that are marked incorrectly!

PS.  There is another field called [Media Type] which is why I said you meant the [Media Sub Type] instead.  The [Media Type] can ONLY contain Audio, Video, Images, or Data (for normal files, it can also contain TV for TV channels and Playlist for playlists).  It is not possible to change the [Media Type] to "Music Video" (it won't let you). However, it is possible to change [Media Sub Type] to "Music Video".  That's what happened to you.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up