INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album tags not imported in 18.0.136  (Read 5285 times)

getjams

Album tags not imported in 18.0.136
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »

I have a brand new laptop and am importing songs in to JRiver 18.0.136. Of the hundreds of albums that got imported, only 3 show up with their album name in the "album" tag. The rest are blank, show in JRiver as "unassigned." Yet, when I go look at the file in Windows Explorer, I can clearly see the proper album names in the "album" tag. I can see the song title, Artist, Track #, bitrate, file type, but no Album in 95%+ of the tracks. Genre is also empty and all of my files have Genre tags.

Samsung Series 7 Chronos notebook with 3rd Gen quad core I7, Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. All drivers and software up to date.

These same files show the album tags just fine in Windows Media Player and iTunes 11.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Album tags not imported in 18.0.136
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:23 pm »

Howdy.

For one of the tracks that you believe has correct tags, select it, and open Action Window > Tag, and then click the top line which shows the file type - duration - size (it is a clickable link).  It will open a tag dump.  Copy and paste the tag dump here, please.  Use the little menu at the top of the Tag window.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

getjams

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:59:48 pm »

n/a

is all it says in the tag dump and all that gets copied to the clipboard using that small menu in the tag dump window. even one of the properly tagged files says "n/a" when I click the file type/duration/size link.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 07:09:24 pm »

Can you share a file so I can check the tags and see if I can replicate?

I'll delete after testing.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 04:03:52 pm »

I concur with this.

I've spent the last 3 hours trying to import some known good FLAC files into a new installation of MC (136); most of the tags didn't 'arrive' (name and artist OK, everything else gone).

So I set up a test: converted the files to Apple lossless in a sub folder of the original - all the tags were identical (when examined with a tool other than MC). I then imported that part of the structure (i.e. FLAC parent folder and M4A sub-folder).

On completion of import, the M4As were in the MC library with their tags all present and correct. The FLACs were missing everything except name and artist.

This could be an urgent regression... HELP!

N.B. The problem appears to be with the importer rather than the database. I see that very recent imports into an existing (otherwise satisfactory) database exhibit the problem.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:45:36 pm »

I'm delighted to report that this issue is not present in build 129. It should, therefore, be relatively simple to track down.

8)

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 05:42:08 am »

I have to say that, having re-installed build 129 and successfully imported a whole bunch of files, I got caught by the upgrade 'trap' and just let it get on with it and ended up with 136 once more.

I created a new library and this time the import process appears all OK. So I have to say that, at this moment, I cannot reproduce the problem

?

It is, however, an interesting coincidence that at least one other user (the OP) experienced the same issue under the same circumstances - a new installation.

Let's hope all the foregoing stuff triggers something in Matt's mind!

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:26 pm »

I also have this issue. I spent the better part of this weekend trying to figure out what went wrong at my end. By the time I got to "fresh new Win7 install, fresh latest MC install, import the same files that have good tags proven by 3 other programs, not getting tags in MC (including covers in some cases)" I started swearing in 3 languages. By the time I cool off I hope this is fixed.

I created a new library and this time the import process appears all OK. So I have to say that, at this moment, I cannot reproduce the problem

The problems varied in my case. A database restore come out without [Album] and and [Filename] entries. Ratings were missing. I could not use the backups at all (since running any update in MC would rescan everything anyway, which was not what I wanted). A restore on a different machine, running off the same sources did the same thing. A fresh install of MC on a fresh Win7 install did better, but I still don't get covers on everything that has covers - in some bloody cases even when forcing MC to rescan/read/do whatever it can on the files, short of manually pinpointing to an external jpg cover. And I can't figure out but where over 900 song ratings went. I know how many are missing since I was doing a very time consuming project to rate every song. It appears to me that ratings were not even written to files, and just kept to MC database which being gone bye-bye, there's no way to recover them. And this is all around build 136 but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes further back a couple of releases since I'm talking about work done in the last 2 weeks.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 11:26:41 pm »

I have a brand new laptop and am importing songs in to JRiver 18.0.136. Of the hundreds of albums that got imported, only 3 show up with their album name in the "album" tag. The rest are blank, show in JRiver as "unassigned." Yet, when I go look at the file in Windows Explorer, I can clearly see the proper album names in the "album" tag. I can see the song title, Artist, Track #, bitrate, file type, but no Album in 95%+ of the tracks. Genre is also empty and all of my files have Genre tags.

Samsung Series 7 Chronos notebook with 3rd Gen quad core I7, Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. All drivers and software up to date.

These same files show the album tags just fine in Windows Media Player and iTunes 11.

? ? ? ?

a computer reformat with new installation of 18.0.136
mp3 files all perfectly tagged now show as unknown album with no genre, date and comments field blank !!!!!

i will try with 18.0.129

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:45:30 pm »

18.0.129 perfect
i guess i will live with it short term

any ideas JRiver ??

Daydream

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 01:04:39 am »

Bump

MrC

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:06:47 am »

I think this has been fixed, but not yet released.  Hold tight.

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:30 pm »

I always forget to check on here when I have issues - wish I did this time, I have been deleting and reimporting SO MANY times it's driving me nuts!  I can import manually or let the auto import and no album, genre or track number gets imported, just the artist and track name.  This was a fresh new installation of Windows 8 on new hardware (Upgrade, yay!)

Hurry up with that update please gents. :)

On a side note, I wish by default MC would not select image files to be associated during the installation, it really screws up thumbnails and icons.  Does anyone use MC for images? I certainly don't, at least not in a desktop environment, and even when I do (Theatre mode on my media PC) I don't need the file-types associated.
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 02:35:27 am »

:( :( :(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 07:03:28 am »

Build 136 has a problem that is fixed in a build that will be available in the next few days.

It fails to register some dll's so that some tags appear to be missing in the database.  The files are still OK.

It only happens on a "fresh" install, so if you installed 129, and then 136, you would not see it.

I apologize for the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:50 am »

This build fixes the problem:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78686.0

The tags are in the file, but they may not show up in MC until you use the Library Tool called Update Library from Tags.

Try a few before you do very many.

Belarathon

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 05:37:59 pm »

I am still having this issue, and have for several builds now.  At least for me, the issue was not fixed with '143, nor '146.
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810

MK2013

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 01:45:55 pm »

I am moving a 416GB music database from one Dell machine to a newer Dell, both are running Windows 7 and MC 18.0.206.  To transfer the data I am using a Maxtor stand alone drive. 

On the old machine all data has been moved to the Maxtor and MC displays the complete tag details including ratings.  I have transferred the data using MC to the new machine and get 236GB (9567 files) that are in the Unassigned File with no tag information including no track numbers.  I have run the Library Tools -> Update Tags (from Library) to no avail. 

As a work around I tried deleting all the music files from the new machine and then transferred the songs into the Music directory using Explorer and then from there used MC to import the library.  Same results with a massive Unassigned File. Have I missed something on the Support FOrums that can repair this issue? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up