INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problem with demo software  (Read 3515 times)

HPDJ

• Recent member
problem with demo software
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:48 pm »

Hey all,

I will try to make this very short because I know it's been covered here before BUT it was for people who bought and downloaded the software..

I tried the demo software of JRiver and it seemed to work great, besides the fact that it COMPLETELY took over almost all the icons on my computer and would load Media Center anytime I would try to open a program..

Now, I am pretty sure that I want to try JRiver but I have to be assured that this issues won't happen with the official download before I fork over the money for the program. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated, thanks so much!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: problem with demo software
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:32:06 pm »

I tried the demo software of JRiver and it seemed to work great, besides the fact that it COMPLETELY took over almost all the icons on my computer and would load Media Center anytime I would try to open a program..

Now, I am pretty sure that I want to try JRiver but I have to be assured that this issues won't happen with the official download before I fork over the money for the program. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated, thanks so much!

They should do a better job registering those file extensions.  The way that they're registered now is annoying (it obliterates all of the individual "file types" in Windows Explorer), which is why I don't let MC handle the default registration for any file types except a few audio ones.

However, in any case, the installer DOES show a Register File Extensions page, where you can pick and choose what extensions to register with MC, just like VLC, MPC-HC, Quicktime, iTunes, and pretty much every other media player application under the sun.  Just watch for this page (pick custom on subsequent installs to see it), and uncheck whatever boxes you don't want MC to handle.

You can de-select them all and then MC won't register any file extensions.  It works equally well without this done, since it maintains an internal database.  It just means you can't (as easily) launch MC by double-clicking on a media file for playback from Windows Explorer.

You just clicked next past this page when you installed.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gappie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:45:00 pm »

They should do a better job registering those file extensions.  The way that they're registered now is annoying (it obliterates all of the individual "file types" in Windows Explorer), which is why I don't let MC handle the default registration for any file types except a few audio ones.

not even my audio files.. its really annoying.. but as glynor showed. you can get around it fairly easy. dont let one of the weakest points of a program hold you off..

:)
gab

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:47:04 pm »

Hi,

To add to what glynor said, there is absolutely no differences between the trial version of MC and the full licensed one. They work the same regarding file association and all other features.

Also, you can always de-associate any file type after installation is done.
go to Tools -> Options -> File Types
select file types you want to de-associate and unchek the file association box.

All the best with MC,

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

HPDJ

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:12 pm »

Thanks so much for all your input! I still seem to be having the same issues...I uninstalled Media Center and installed it again.

I tried to go into the tools section and deselect some programs I don't want to associate with Media Center but it's not letting me see programs like google chrome or ccleaner or skype that ALL seem to be effected by media center right now. I only see audio, video data etc things to select in the tools section...

I'm still confused  :-\   Any other suggestions? What am I missing here?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:07 am »

You don't seem to mean what I think you mean.

Can you take a screenshot of what you mean?  You can do it with MC itself, if you don't know how otherwise.

Maybe you're talking about the Shell Integration?

Or maybe your Windows icon cache is hosed?  This has happened to some people before and they thought it was MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:47:02 am »

I'm pretty sure, reading your previous post over again now, that your Windows Icon Cache is hosed.

Assuming you are on Windows 7, this might fix your problem.

If it isn't that, if you could take a screenshot, it would be helpful.  Either that, or try your best to describe what is happening in more precise terminology.

pec

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:28:53 am »

Off topic here. what is "Shell Integration" used for i can't find anything about it in the forum. thnks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:12 am »

It adds options to the right click menu in Explorer.  Turn it on and try it.  You may have to reboot.

pec

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 09:22:33 pm »

oh duh me.....thnks

HPDJ

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 02:41:12 pm »

Again, thanks for your help so far....I'm still not able to deal with this issue...and everytime I try to take a screenshot to show you I'm not able to because either a program I would normally use to take a screen shot is taken over by media center (took over the icon and launches MC when I click on it) or when I press the "prt sc" button on my keyboard I'm getting nothing...if I want to search my folders (documents pictures etc) that folder has no pictures of my screen-shots...I mean I got no indication that the button was actually working when I pressed it (while pressing the fn key btw)..

I'm not a computer expert so, sorry I have not been able to be more clear before. Let me try again. I've now installed/uninstalled MC at least 6 times and I'm noticing that just when it's about done installing, my icons switch to Media Center icons and will only launch MC.

My desktop is full of folders pertaining to MC in some way ("JR Worker, JRWeb, JRReader, JRTools etc). The only icons not effected are Control Panel, Recycle Bin, Network, My folder with my name that opens up stuff like music, documents etc, and Computer)....everything else seems to be effected my Media Center.

When my I mouse over to the bottom of my screen, I would usually get my Google Chrome shortcuts and IE and Windows Media Player but now they all have the Media Center icon. And to be even more specific, it's not just the icon actually....it's the icon (with the play pause etc controls) ON TOP of a picture of a paper that is dog eared on the top right corner....as if it's a file pertaining to Media Center.......weird!

I hope all these details help! Oh and I also tried to download the thing to fix my icons in case they were corrupted....but it didn't work...it just rearranged my icons on my desktop...I'm forgetting the programs name now......ok it was something about automatically rebuilding your icon cache...anyway that's all I got right now. I'll try almost any other suggestions, thanks!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 04:38:47 pm »

PrintScreen takes a screenshot and puts in in your clipboard, so you have to paste it somewhere. Try pasting into powerpoint. Or select an image file in MC and right click> Edit image. You can then paste the clipboard image on top. Just remember to save as a different image name so as to not lose the original image.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:45 pm »

In MC's options for file types, turn off all associations.  

The Desktop problem sounds like you installed MC to your Desktop.  Uninstall it, choosing the option to remove registry entries, and then reinstall it, accepting all defaults.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 05:04:08 pm »

PrintScreen takes a screenshot and puts in in your clipboard, so you have to paste it somewhere. Try pasting into powerpoint. Or select an image file in MC and right click> Edit image. You can then paste the clipboard image on top. Just remember to save as a different image name so as to not lose the original image.
In MC, you can choose Camera in the Action Window, then copy from clipboard.

HPDJ

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:10:54 am »

Ok I turned off all file types. Nothing...

I definitely DID install MC to my desktop one time so after my last uninstall I made sure not to do that and all the MC files I described on my desktop in my last post are not present. BUT the "issue at large" does still remain after this last install and even after "accepting all defaults" during the installation process...

Also I think I figured out how to take a screen-shot (finally!) Thanks for the helpful instructions. Hopefully this helps:

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 01:58:10 am »

I've never seen that before. It's not normal at all. ?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 02:44:04 am »

If I didn't know better, I would say that MC has been associated with .lnk shortcut files.

As MC would not make this change, uninstalling won't fix it, and reinstalling simply reconnects the association in Windows.

You can check this by opening the control panel, go to "All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program". In the list, scroll down to .lnk. What is it set at? It should be "Unknown Application".

You need to set your .lnk association back to it's default "Unknown Application".
This might help:---> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/undo-file-association-for-lnk-extension-to/f13b105e-8ea3-47e4-aeda-66f8fc1e839d

-marko

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 03:10:00 am »

I was thinking .exe files had been taken over.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 03:28:16 am »

We'll see. They will all be .lnk files, both in the taskbar and on the desktop itself. Certainly, it's one of the two.

I think the important thing to note here is that there is no way a Media Center installation could make this change. I don't think they've been 'taken over', more likely, set as default in error.

On the file associations page shown during install, neither lnk nor exe files are offered as an option. Hopefully, HPDJ is on the road to recovery now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 07:03:00 am »

The files seem to be incorrectly associated with MC.  Try an Internet search for "File Associations".  Read what Microsoft has to say about the subject.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 11:20:33 am »

Also I think I figured out how to take a screen-shot (finally!) Thanks for the helpful instructions. Hopefully this helps:

That looks like classic symptoms of icon cache corruption.

Follow the Option One instructions listed here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

It could be a messed up file association with .lnk or .exe too/instead, but I'd try the instructions I posted above about fixing the icon cache.  If that doesn't work, then download both the EXE and LNK reg files on this page and run them:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

MrC

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 12:04:16 pm »

I think the important thing to note here is that there is no way a Media Center installation could make this change. I don't think they've been 'taken over', more likely, set as default in error.

While I agree this probably wasn't caused by MC in this case, we should probably be careful when generalizing.  This has occurred back in MC16.

Hopefully the OP will get it sorted out.  And starts using software direct from the source, not some caching agency.

HPDJ

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 12:40:36 pm »

OK guys I'm finally in business woohoo! Marko, I tried to follow your suggestions first and it seems to have worked like a charm!!!

My .lnk files were definitely associated with Media Center when I looked in "Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program"..

I used the link you posted to a Microsoft Win7 forum and downloaded the recommended program and followed the prompts...it helped me choose my .lnk file and unassociate it with other programs and boom! My icons were back to normal and clicking on them did not open up Media Center anymore as it had been!

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help guys, REALLY appreciate it...you guys weren't messing around! I was definitely getting discouraged but it looks like I can confidently buy Media Center now knowing that this issue has been resolved...

I have about 10 more days with the free trial period software which I have to say I'm glad I tried first...if I had bought the software first and these issues occurred I think I would have been more worried! If I ever experience any issues again with MC I know where to look first ;)

Cheers to you all! :)

ps
Here's what my "happy" desktop looks like now (pic-attached)

MrC

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 12:45:50 pm »

Great!  Now stop using that CCleaner.  Register "cleaners" are the devil's work.

HPDJ

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 12:50:35 pm »

Are they really?? I thought they were a good thing (I'm not being sarcastic either)....maybe it just shows how little I know about PC's...

Is there something else I should use, or just not use those things in the first place?

MrC

HPDJ

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 01:07:26 pm »

hmmm interesting...

Seems like I could do without my CCleaner then. My computer runs smooth so I'll delete it. Don't really use it much anymore anyway..I just downloaded it again when I got this laptop a couple years ago because I had been using CCleaner on my old brick-of-a-laptop that was running really slow...

No harm done in removing it it seems, thanks for the advice :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up