INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Display Settings problem  (Read 2359 times)

yannis

• World Citizen
Automatic Display Settings problem
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:02 pm »

Hi all,

Sorry for being such a noob, I went through several threads but I couldn't resolve this myself, so please, help (and excuse my english).

I've set up an older PC to use as a media center; it's a modest Q6600 with an ATI2600 and 4gb RAM running v18...129. The primary monitor is 1280x1024 (4x3) and the secondary is my Panasonic plasma px80 which I've set up with a DVI2HDMI cable at 1280X720. Because of the different aspect ratio, I can only use an extended desktop. MC in Standard View starts correctly in the primary monitor. Theater view opens properly in #2, video files too, using Red October Standard+Video Clock. So far so good.

I've Enabled Automatic Display Settings and set the Default at 1280X720X32x60.
I've set the 25 fps to play at 1280X720x32X50.

Q#1  Is this setting correct?

Now, I have a lot of home videos, m2ts shot at 1920x1080 PAL (reported as 25fps in MC) and a few 1080 downloads. The problem is that the first time I try to play any one of these files, the picture is crappy. The only way to correct it is to manually Right Click>Window>Screen Resolution>1920x1080x50 (or anything else, for that matter, and then back with Right Click>Window>Screen Resolution>Desktop Settings). After that, MC remembers how to play this file. But if i FF to the next (or choose another file from my list), I have to do this all over again. And yes, it happens when I play the files both from Standard and Theater View.

Q#2   Shouldn't Auto Display Settings take care of all this? Could someone please offer their insight as to what am I doing wrong?

Q#3   Could you direct me to an MC video primer? I've found this (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Playback_Customization) but it seems to be obsolete.

yannis

• World Citizen
Re: Automatic Display Settings problem
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 01:29:53 am »

Hey, I found a way to solve the problem (Q#2), by unticking the HW acceleration box. Now everything seems to work as expected in RO ST. Could it be a bug in the LAV filter again?

Please do reply to Q# 1+3 if you have some suggestions.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:47:00 am »

While I have no experience in the multi monitor setup one tip that may work is that when you do the right click -->Window>Screen Resolution>1920x1080x50 it writes the data to a field called "Playback Info".  You can then copy this to all other similar clips and MC will then use these settings for playback of all these files.
JRiver CEO Elect

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:54:51 am »

bump

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:33:37 am »

bump

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:28 am »

Did my suggestion not help?
JRiver CEO Elect

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:14 am »

As I said, I actually circumvented this problem by unticking the HW acceleration field. But I do not consider it a proper solution, and I'm still waiting for an answer as to how I could really resolve it without losing the HW functionality.

Plus, there were two other questions.

I thank you, anyway :)

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:02:22 am »

I too am having problems with multi display playback, so will check here as well. THough I think our problems are different.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 05:27:49 am »

Well, don;t hold your horses. It's almost two weeks since I started this thread and I haven't had a decent response yet.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:51:42 am »

Q#1  Is this setting correct?

Looks fine.

Now, I have a lot of home videos, m2ts shot at 1920x1080 PAL (reported as 25fps in MC) and a few 1080 downloads. The problem is that the first time I try to play any one of these files, the picture is crappy. The only way to correct it is to manually Right Click>Window>Screen Resolution>1920x1080x50 (or anything else, for that matter, and then back with Right Click>Window>Screen Resolution>Desktop Settings). After that, MC remembers how to play this file. But if i FF to the next (or choose another file from my list), I have to do this all over again. And yes, it happens when I play the files both from Standard and Theater View.

jmone got this.

Q#2   Shouldn't Auto Display Settings take care of all this? Could someone please offer their insight as to what am I doing wrong?

Auto-Display settings only works if your media is properly tagged or if MC can figure it out via other methods. It doesn't work for all files, the vast majority being home videos. Look here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto_Refresh_Rate

Q#3   Could you direct me to an MC video primer? I've found this (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Playback_Customization) but it seems to be obsolete.

RO rendered most of the directshow configuration options obsolete. What specifically do you need help with? http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Playback_Options

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:53:47 am »

Thanks for your response.

The FPS tags of my home videos are populated automatically and correctly when the files are imported in MC. But before I unticked the HW acceleration, MC was unable to auto switch to the correct playback setting - it did play the file, but with artefacts and distorted as I described. After I unticked the HW acceleration, the files play as they should - but I've lost the HW functionality. Hence the question: is there a setting I may have missed, so that MC can select the proper refresh rate, without losing the HW acceleration? (As for my rig, pls check the first post.)

Re Q#3, I was reading threads about tweaking ROST EVR, ROHD and whatnot, but I don't know where to start from. So I was asking for some primer on video tweaking inside MC.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:59 pm »

Hence the question: is there a setting I may have missed, so that MC can select the proper refresh rate, without losing the HW acceleration? (As for my rig, pls check the first post.)

This sounds like a driver or hardware problem. One possibility (going to list format):

pre-1: Make sure you are using the latest video card drivers (now double-check, and then triple-check). If that doesn't solve it:
1. Download and install the latest lav filters (MC uses 32-bit): http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191
2. In MC video settings, select "custom" and use either RO or ROHQ as the starting point (depends on how much horsepower you've got, likely RO is the best bet for that 2600), and select LAV Video as a custom Video Decoder for your format of choice.
3. Make changes to LAV Video settings using it's CP in the start menu. Specifically, try both DXVA (native) and DXVA (copy-back) for acceleration options.
4. Check this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76449.0

Re Q#3, I was reading threads about tweaking ROST EVR, ROHD and whatnot, but I don't know where to start from. So I was asking for some primer on video tweaking inside MC.

If you are interested in tweaking madVR, this isn't the right place for support. Check here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
There isn't much to "tweak" otherwise. Trust me, you are headed down a trail of tears. No one remembers directshow "tweaking" as the 'good ol' days.' It was a PITA.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 12:48:14 pm »

OK, I'll give it a try as soon as I get some free time to experiment (but I tend to think it's a bug related to the driver and LAV filters interaction).

Thanks for the tip about doom9.

A last q: If i mess something up while fiddling with the LAV filters, will it go away if reselect ROST default? Or should I keep a system image handy?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 04:21:21 pm »

OK, I'll give it a try as soon as I get some free time to experiment (but I tend to think it's a bug related to the driver and LAV filters interaction).

Thanks for the tip about doom9.

A last q: If i mess something up while fiddling with the LAV filters, will it go away if reselect ROST default? Or should I keep a system image handy?

Selecting RO will revert back to the internal filters stored in the User/AppData/Roaming/J River/plugins folder so you'll be good to go. There's also a way to make the custom LAV settings universal via Directshow Tweaker and using the merit-based settings, but I won't go into too much detail because I don't want to lead people away from RO...it really is the best option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up