INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roadmap?  (Read 3126 times)

Scetes

• Recent member
Roadmap?
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:11:47 pm »

Let me start by saying thanks to the JRiver team for going Mac.  And, also for offering early access to the product.  You have quite a bit of work ahead - but you know that.  Instead of posting about bugs and issues, which is important but so many others are doing that, I'd love to know what the order of priorities are.  I'll start with my 2c.  I would prefer to see MC be a true Apple application with limited feature set, first, and feature extensions later.  So, for example, get the proper Apple menu bar and standard menu items.
Wyred4Sound DAC2, Focal powered CMS monitors and sub, Pioneer PD-65 for CD transport, Pioneer TX-7500 Tuner

Pale Rider

• Recent member
Re: Roadmap?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:30:10 pm »

Let me start by saying thanks to the JRiver team for going Mac.  And, also for offering early access to the product.  You have quite a bit of work ahead - but you know that.  Instead of posting about bugs and issues, which is important but so many others are doing that, I'd love to know what the order of priorities are.  I'll start with my 2c.  I would prefer to see MC be a true Apple application with limited feature set, first, and feature extensions later.  So, for example, get the proper Apple menu bar and standard menu items.

As a long-time Apple user, I would ordinarily give this a big +1. But this time, my priorities are different. I would put a vote in for UPnP server as soon as possible. But that's the reason I am on this ride, and so, that's just my vote.
Mac mini | PS Audio PWD MKII | BDP-105 |Decware Ultra Preamp | Decware Torii MK3 Amps | Decware ERR sextet | Taboo & Liquid Fire Headphone Amps |Audez\'e LCD-2 & JH13 Pro

Pale Rider

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:45:51 pm »

OTOH, after playing it with for 24 hours now, I am dying for some Mac love. I know it's pre-alpha, but "Exit.......Alt+F4," really? Not a criticism, because I appreciate the huge effort, just an early adopter lament.
Mac mini | PS Audio PWD MKII | BDP-105 |Decware Ultra Preamp | Decware Torii MK3 Amps | Decware ERR sextet | Taboo & Liquid Fire Headphone Amps |Audez\'e LCD-2 & JH13 Pro

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:01:01 pm »

Stability first.  Bugs next.  Macify and add features after that.

Thanks for the feedback.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:22:13 am »

Thanks for the feedback.
Smart IMO.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49:08 pm »

Smart IMO.

I think so too.  For those that are really desiring a fully polished app, that will come and at a $50 cost.  For those like me who want to get in as early as possible, test and offer feedback to guide featureset improvements and add-ons, then half the cost and some work arounds is solid and can be fun.

There are plenty of music apps with db features for the Mac.  I suspect most are here because they want something renowned and stable with excellent streaming support but NOW! on a Mac. That's why I am here.  Audiophile and all that (or so my geeky membership card reads), but I'm a realist and a computer enthusiast too. 

Make the thing work.  That's the key.  Stomp out devastating bugs second (which is really just a part of the first step), then get the look down. 

I am pretty hostile to the current gui.  It lacks the intuitive commands I've had the pleasure of using on my Mac and under various *nix OS'.  No complaints because this is alpha and I paid half price.  I won't let my rather bestial opposition to anything Windows-like come between helping to get this executed in the best, most timely and efficient way possible.

That said, dump the Windows goop and get all the Mac goodness we know and love :D  Down the road that is ;)

Scetes

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 07:26:07 pm »

Any updates from J River folks as to where we are on the roadmap? We're 'down the road' and at full price now as some posters (rightfully) pointed out back in February.  Last time I checked, bugs are simply part of the software world, so let's not wait to wring out every last one before moving to an Apple standard user experience.  How about some parallel effort?  OSX UI, fixes, functional enhancements.
Wyred4Sound DAC2, Focal powered CMS monitors and sub, Pioneer PD-65 for CD transport, Pioneer TX-7500 Tuner

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:36 pm »

My 2˘ for what its worth.

JRiver has the 'luxury'/complication of having an existing product up and running.

That means they already have routines and functionality that works.  Without that we would be looking at considerably more time to implementation.

The complication comes from 'porting' over to Mac from a highly sophisticated, well established, and mature existing platform.  The myriad of details that must be attended to, are huge.  And having to partly re-learn how and partly re-create a functional 'engine' from scratch is a challenge for anyone.  And these guys had a head start.

And for some of us, this effort is our only (at least so far) operational s/w package to use a network to deliver our highly sought after digits and bits.

I am just grateful I can use my network as the means to digital stream my music in the 1st place.

And yes I too look forward to the mac-i-fying of the UI but if it delivers music of a superior nature well in advance of that eventuality, what even given the many 'quirks' and Alt-F4's and C&B's, it is a small price to pay considering the alternative.

And yes I too have expectations of a vastly improved UI.  I have been using Macs long enough (since '85) to know what a smooth and thoroughly implemented UI accords.

But in this case my vote is for functional superiority as the 1st priority, over pretty…

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 02:26:16 am »

Thanks for the feedback.

This is bang on IMHO.

I for one do not sit looking at the interface all day long. What I do want is a stable product (its been pretty stable for my use for most of its time), then I look forward to more functions to be implemented, full implementation of Add Library View for example, although the inclusion of Media Network was by far the most important addition, again IMHO.

For a product that is only just in Alpha build I think things are progressing very nicely - if it was easy there would be no need for an Alpha build.

Simply a personal view of course.

Peter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 06:25:08 am »

Any updates from J River folks as to where we are on the roadmap? We're 'down the road' and at full price now as some posters (rightfully) pointed out back in February.  Last time I checked, bugs are simply part of the software world, so let's not wait to wring out every last one before moving to an Apple standard user experience.  How about some parallel effort?  OSX UI, fixes, functional enhancements.
We're still working on bugs.  We seem to be getting things under control.  I can't say more than that for now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up