INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Echo & Tempo - Problem With Encoding  (Read 2496 times)

NewUser

• nothing more to say...
Echo & Tempo - Problem With Encoding
« on: March 07, 2003, 02:21:24 pm »

Hi,

I am having problems ripping my salsa CDs and getting them to playback well.  When I play them back the tempo keeps changing and I will hear some of the percussion phrases echo.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the swing CD or jazz CD that I ripped.

I tried changing from constant bitrate to variable bitrate encoding with the same results.  Is this an encoding problem or is something else going on?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Echo & Tempo - Problem With Encoding
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 02:29:52 pm »

Maybe You should change the effects settings in The DSP
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NewUser

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 02:45:08 pm »

How do you chage the settings in the DSP.  Is this an operating system change or a Media Jukebox change?  I am using Windows 2000 Professional.  Thanks In Advance!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 03:08:28 pm »

I am not using MJ8, I Use MC9, but If i remember correctly there is a button on the player window lower left.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 03:33:10 pm »

Not sure about the tempo changing problem.

Definitely turn off any DSP effects. Also, there are just certain types of instrument sounds that mp3 is not very good at encoding, percussion being one of them. Unfortunatley, this is a shortcoming of the format.

Rob

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 02:48:04 pm »

...which is under MJ>Player>DSP Studio in case you didn't know. For future ref...when using the mp3 format, use the MP3 Encoder VBR with quality set to Normal or Normal/High. These settings use the LAME encoder w/ the presets which handles all types of music very well.

10-27

rocketsauce

Re: Echo & Tempo - Problem With Encodi
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 05:43:24 pm »

use the MP3 Encoder VBR with quality set to Normal or Normal/High. These settings use the LAME encoder w/ the presets which handles all types of music very well.

xen is right. I guess I should have added a little more. :) Using a high-quality VBR setting, you probably won't be able to distinguish the MP3 from the original unless you happen to be one of the rare ones blessed with "golden ears." ;)

NewUser, a little more info about what settings you have actually been using would help...if you are still having a problem.

xen, I wasn't aware that the default VBR settings in MJ/MC actually called the presets. I think you have to choose Custom in the Quality drop-down list and then put the preset command line in the Advanced dialog. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, though.  :o

Rob

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2003, 06:12:32 pm »

'sauce

I'm not positive on the MJ using the presets...but I thought JimH or Matt or JohnT said once that it did...or I did and wasn't spanked and sent to my room...so I think I'm correct.

10-27

edit: My guess is...
Normal = --alt -preset fast standard
Normal/High = --alt -preset standard
High = --alt -preset extreme

rocketsauce

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2003, 10:34:25 pm »

edit: My guess is...
Normal = --alt -preset fast standard
Normal/High = --alt -preset standard
High = --alt -preset extreme

The only reason I mention it is that --alt-preset fast standard is shown as the default command line when I choose Custom. So, that leads me to believe that the other VBR settings are just using regular switches and not the presets.

Rob

MachineHead

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2003, 03:07:45 am »

Had to check this out. Whatever it is, it isn't Lame version 3.92. I have dbpoweramp installed right now, and when you hover your cursor over a music file in Explorer it will tell you exactly what encoded it, but not the switch setting (unfortunately).

Using 'Normal' as a test setting, it says:'Lame (old) or m3e.

Checking files I know to be encoded with Lame 3.92 aps fast extreme, I get: Lame 3.92.

rocketsauce is right, it uses a basic switch setting for the options given. Meaning 'Normal' is probably something like 128 vbr. 'High' would be 192vbr, etc., etc. But they are not the presets and all the tuning that goes along with them. Especially when you see what is mentioned above.

The only way you're going to get the APS is with the custom setting and entering it in the advanced options pop-up box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up