INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash in gapless with MP3s, kills sound system-wide  (Read 2012 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
Crash in gapless with MP3s, kills sound system-wide
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:35:49 am »

Hello –

OK, this one is serious. I was playing MP3s in gapless (my default mode) and it crashed when switching to the next track. I had only listened to the one track so far as I had just installed the newest version. (No issues like this in the previous version.) The crash did not bring up the OSX crash reporter. Most importantly, no audio playback was available in any other app that plays audio *that was open at the time*. I had happened to have a baseball podcast loaded in Chrome and VLC open. I hit play on the podcast and no sound and the progress indicator did not advance. Same deal with VLC. I closed and re-opened VLC and it played. After this, the podcast would also play.

That's a weird one. I know it was said that 10.6.8 isn't supported yet, but I hadn't had any audio-related issues so far (just UI stuff, like how hitting enter in a field closes the app window, never to return).

Thanks!
Micah

OS version: 10.6.8
Machine type: MBP 2.53 GHz i5
Virus checker: Sophos
Browser installed: Chrome, Safari, Firefox (all newest versions)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash in gapless with MP3s, kills sound system-wide
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:41:17 am »

It's possible this is an MC problem, but it may also be a bug in the driver or the OS.  The fact that no other app worked means that something other than MC was confused.

We'll keep an eye out for similar problems.  We definitely still have some audio problems.  They should be fixed in a build or two.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:22:39 am »

It's possible this is an MC problem, but it may also be a bug in the driver or the OS.  The fact that no other app worked means that something other than MC was confused.

We'll keep an eye out for similar problems.  We definitely still have some audio problems.  They should be fixed in a build or two.

Great, thanks Jim. I forgot to mention that this was coreaudio so nothing odd going on on that front.

I'll update you guys if I can reproduce it.

Thanks –
Micah

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »

Sounds like the audio driver went belly up.  It restarted, but running applications "lost" their connection, because they were trying to use the old instance of the driver.

Worth keeping an eye on.  Can't have MC crashing the regular audio device drivers.

If it happens again, try to pay attention to particulars.  Was there any pattern to the crash?  Particular files?  Particular places in the playlist?  Maybe a file with a very high or low bitrate followed by the reverse?  Anything at all that makes the situation "unique" compared to others where you don't see it?

Also, are you playing with any of the DSP settings?  They might not be 100% yet.  I haven't done much testing in this area, and certainly not on SL.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »

Sounds like the audio driver went belly up.  It restarted, but running applications "lost" their connection, because they were trying to use the old instance of the driver.

Worth keeping an eye on.  Can't have MC crashing the regular audio device drivers.

If it happens again, try to pay attention to particulars.  Was there any pattern to the crash?  Particular files?  Particular places in the playlist?  Maybe a file with a very high or low bitrate followed by the reverse?  Anything at all that makes the situation "unique" compared to others where you don't see it?

Also, are you playing with any of the DSP settings?  They might not be 100% yet.  I haven't done much testing in this area, and certainly not on SL.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it happens again, G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up