INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do YOU organize YOUR library?  (Read 1283 times)

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
How do YOU organize YOUR library?
« on: April 06, 2002, 03:46:35 pm »

I'm contemplating embarking on the next phase of my use of, and addiction to, MJ: Whipping the whole library into shape by manually (since I've pretty much used batch operations to the point of diminishing returns by now) going through and both correcting stuff in the standard tags that's wrong or I disagree with, but also for the first time embarking on the use of the MJ-only custom fields.

Sure would be nice to only have to do this once, and then incrementally thereafter when new CD's are ripped or files are otherwise acquired.

The ultimate point of this, as I see it, is to get the data massaged to the point where I am opening up whole new vistas in the use of Smartlists, so that my queries can be precisely tailored to hit the results that I want.

So, how do you organize YOUR library? It seems to me that I need to lay down a consistent set of rules for myself before I even start, and then apply them, or the whole exercise will lose most of its value.

When I think of my music collection, I find myself thinking of it in different ways: I think of the whole thing, and there are some diverse gems in there, the real desert island-type discs, and it would be nice to make a smartlist that pulls those out--the overall rating against everything else. Within genres or artists, at a lower level, there are gems that I'd like to pull out just by specifying that artist or genre and not the whole thing--the rating against the rest of that artist's body of work, or the rating against that genre or sub-genre (or both).

I think of it in terms of genres, and recognize that there are sub-genres within genres; I recognize that there are artists that I want to organize as belonging to particular genres, and pull them out by that sometimes, but that other times I'd want to pull their music out by the genre(s) that their albums or songs specifically are, and that those genres cross each other's categories a lot.

I also think of my music collection as an audio archive of personal history, and I foresee wanting to make smartlists that can target that: "music that I listened to in high school"..."music that I listened to in college"...in other words, categorizations of time and sub-slices of time which transcend a flat number of years. Like discussing Picasso's Blue Period, you're not talking about years ABC to XYZ, you're generally talking about a time period, but also an attitude and a manifestation.

Which is another way I'd probably like to categorize my music--by attitude, by mood, or by when I looked or am looking or want to look at the world a certain way. And that transcends categories of time, genres, and artists.

So, a sizable problem. How have YOU solved it? Always love to draw on the collective brainpower whenever possible, to the benefit of others if possible.

I confess that many of the potential schemas I've come up with have left me wishing that there were a whooooooole lot more fields and field types available in MJ. I can foresee this project leading me to beg at the wishlist again.
Severian

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
RE:How do YOU organize YOUR library?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2002, 02:13:05 pm »

Hi

I have pretty much reached the stage you are at, so I would love to hear how others have organised theirs!

The BIG problem is that our taste in music covers the whole spectrum from 12th century plainsong to jazz, rock and pop, so that planning the effective organisation of 30,000|PLS| tracks can only be done (hopefully)once.

I have created a few smartlists, but nothing earth shattering...
=>Next Pageiano concertos
=>violin concertos
=>top rated albums (i.e. exceptional performances or recordings)
=>No. 1 Hits
=>Celtic

Thought about using the definable fields for creating sub genres for classical music by period e.g. romantic, baroque, tedious etc. but this can be done using the existing genre label.
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2002, 03:21:53 pm »

llmar,
A very nice signature.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

lise

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2002, 03:31:11 pm »

I don't have much time right now, but in a nutshell, here is what I have done.
For pretty much every artist, I go to All Music Guide (AMG) and see what genre and styles they use.  I then assign that genre to my songs, and type in the styles in the comment field (eg., alt-pop-rock, blue-eyed soul, indie-pop, etc). I put a hypen between the words so that it's easier to search for in MJ.  I also include country of origin (England, Ireland, etc) and any other little tidbit I can think of (mellow, favs) and if I can't get the year of the song, I add the decade in there too (80s, 60s).

Then I am set.  If a want to listen to all mellow indie-pop, I get my list.

What I have also done is the create smartlists for each sub-genre, just to be able to browse.  So if I'm in the mood for "traditional-pop" songs that are also in the Jazz category, I just took to my View Schemes:  Genere/Sub-genre, to go Jazz, and play "traditional-pop" (which brings up Dusty Springfield, Peggy Lee, etc).

Granted, I spent lots of time inputing all the info; the right year, genre, subgenre, etc.  I have 12,000 songs, and am pretty much finished with this kind of work.  Plus, I did it all with v7.  It's MUCH easier with v8, especially with the in-line editing.  Anyway, now I just do it whenever I rip a cd.  I seach my database to see if I already have the artist, I then open the artist folder and just copy the comment field into the newly ripped cd.  Lots of work yes, but worth it.

Oh, and I also include the word "hits" in the comment field if I know the tune has been on the charts.  Then you can search for Hits and 80s, and then also add the search string for decade (between 1980-1989 and voila.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2002, 03:32:30 pm »

What version are you using?
If V8, the possibilities are endless.
Personally, I am still using Categories with groups and sub-sets.
Under Categories I have a number of basic criteria - Tempo, Mood, Period, Instrumental, Nationality etc.
Under these I have sub-lists. For instance under "Tempo" I have Presto, Allegro, Adagio, ....Waltz, Violent, Vigourous, Moderate, Sedate, Ambient etc.
Under "Period" I have Mediaeval, Renaisance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, ....Modern, Twenties, Thirties etc.
"Mood" also has subsets and they are purely whimsical - Fun, Daggy, Beachy, Hip, Reflective, Profound, Avant Garde etc.
Instrumental, however is just a lone bucket into which anything with no vocals goes.

I let the genre field do its own work but limit the entries to the basics - Orchestral, Jazz, Rock, Pop, Folk, Electronic - about 10 in total.

At this stage I use only three ratings 1, 3 & 5 and think of it only as relative to the particular artist.  Just this alone enables the creation of a separate view scheme which excludes the low raters.

Between the basic Genres, the Hierarchical Categories, and the ratings it is then pretty easy to generate smartlists to cover myriad criteria.

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2002, 01:49:17 pm »

I forgot to thank you all for your excellent suggestions. That was rude and I apologize.

Based on your input and some thinking of my own I came up with an organizational scheme and have implemented it over the last couple of weeks. It might not be the best concept overall, but it is working AWESOME for the uses I've been putting it to so far. I'm a little busy at work right now but I'll cobble together the details and share them with you shortly.
Severian

Jewcifer

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2002, 02:10:35 pm »

There's really only 2 "correct" or scientific ways of doing this, all other possiblities are subject to the variables of nature.

1. Alpha by Artist...and this is soooooo frickin easy cause MJ does this in, what, milliseconds?
2. Date of release...This would be my ultimate choice, histrionics in mind, but can you imagine the effort involved? Now, the best situation would include year, month AND day. I currently have over 2500 albums containing over 30,000 files (some of which are singles unattached to an album). Just how am I going to find all that info? A simple answer...A,B,C,D...

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2002, 10:18:12 pm »

OK, here’s what I did, and am doing--I expect, as you’ll see, that this project will keep me occupied for a while.

The goal was not to implement a scientific method of cataloging. The goal was implement a method that would allow me to use MJ to get what I want, instantly--to be a couple of clicks away from a CD or a handheld playlist that has what I want, when I want it.

Here’s how I used, and will use, the fields given.

Artist: Is artist who performs the song. I don’t have much classical or other music where the composer really figures prominently in my preferences to listen, so I was comfortable doing that. It covers me for soundtracks, compilations, and other slightly odd pieces, of which there turn out to be a bunch.

Album Artist: is who did the album. Mostly this is valuable for the ability to say “Various Artists” for soundtracks and compilations, and thus keep my Artist list lean and mean when I view it that way. If it’s a tribute album, Album Artist is who the album is a tribute to, and Artist reflects who’s doing the various covers. As noted in other threads, including one I started, it’s too bad that Album Artist is kind of undersupported in MJ’s current incarnation and it would be cool to see it elevated to a proper status in future versions.

Rating: Rating is vs. Album. I suppose that if I had infinite time and infinite fields I’d love to do stuff like rating vs. genre, rating vs. artist, rating vs. entire collection, and what have you...but what is, is, and in my collection rating is vs. Artist.
I went through and assigned every track a baseline of 3, so what I’m doing is creating a sort of bell curve for Rating that goes like this:

1: This song blows. It should never have been thought up, let alone given form. This is what the ability to turn off, change stations, fast-forward, and now exclude songs was designed to do.
2: This is a substandard song. Generally I’d prefer not to listen to it, but may have some redeeming value in the context of the album.
3: The status quo, the top of the bell curve, a standard song for this particular album.
4: A fine song, one of the better cuts. Maybe not the best, but a standout.
5: This song rules. This song(s) is the reason that this album was, and continues to remain, owned. Simple as that.

The Rating work is ongoing. I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to hit it systematically or just do it ad-hoc in the course of listening and using MJ.

Genre: This took a couple of passes, but what I ultimately did was use Genre as a broad thing. At first I went through and used Genre to put in every kind of genre-subgenre pair I could think of, then as I made more passes thought that it would be better to just keep it broad and use the other fields as drilldowns to the specifics. In the end, there were 13. My Genres finally became Alternative, Classical, Comedy, Electronic, Electronica, Funk, Industrial, Instrumental, Pop, Rock, Score, Soundtrack, and Vocal.

Custom 1: got renamed to “Album Class”. This was kind of a slushy definition—in some places it got used to more precisely place the album in its categorization; in other instances it describes more of the mood of the album and in other places it puts it more into its subgenre. Like for Soundtrack you have classes of Film and Game, which goes to just classifying the album itself, but in Alternative you have classes like Classic, Dance, Enraged, Ethereal, and Godlike Next Page.

At this point, this is as far as I’ve gotten. Already this has done a ton for my listening pleasure, and MJ has gone from Awesome to Priceless in my book. In a couple of clicks I’m out the door in the morning with a fresh disc full of stuff that I feel like listening to. Not only can I drill down to something pretty specific very easily, but with one keyword I can get something more general that’s cool too. Like I can say “Dance” for Album Class and let that be across all Genres, and I’m walking out the door with some hopping tunes.

Future steps: I’ve renamed Custom 2 to be Song Class, in which I intend to get more specific on the song in the same way. Custom 3 right now is Time Class, which will be keywords about the period in my life that I associate each one with. I may think better of that idea as I implement it, as has been the case with other parts of the project. I’m intending Comments to be a repository of delimited keywords for full-text searching, and have these be more toward the use and purpose of the piece—running, lifting, meditating, certain other indoor sports. You know the deal.

Overall, I was surprised at how rapidly the work went. I bit the bullet and just blanked everything I was redoing—Album Artist, Genre, Rating, Custom 1, Comments. Once I had gotten a solid set of criteria down, it was easy to just use the tree to go through by Artist and reclassify everything by Genre, and once that was done it was even faster to pass through again and hit Custom 1, simultaneously redoing Genre. I did the first pass of Genre in just a couple of hours for 30GB of files.

Some interesting thoughts occurred to me about this whole process for inclusion in the Help file, some feature enhancements or maybe even some major concepts for future features…I think I’ll make another thread about those and see what you think.

Overall: MJ ROCKS. Thanks guys. And girls.
Severian

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2002, 12:56:34 am »

My categorisation is as follows:

- I have a Playlist group called "DECADE" which has sub-smartlists about "1960's", "1970's", "1980's", "1990's", "2000's"
 This contains all files by decade as you can imagine
- I use a lot the GENRE field (so my MEDIA LIBRARY VIEWS)
- I also created a Playlist group called "SUBGENRE" which contains smartlists like "SLOWS", "FRENCH", "INSTRUMENTAL", "LIVE" etc.
- I have a Playlist group called "HITPARADE" which has smartlists like "HITS APRIL 2002", "HITS MAY 2002" etc. so I can see which files were hits in
 which months.
- I also have smartlists like "NEVER PLAYED", "NO GENRE", "NO DECADE", "TO CHECK" for statistics, maintenance and filtering
- Then in my custom playlists I have playlists like "RANDOM 2 HOURS", "X-MAS songs", "CURRENT FAVOURITES", "TIRED OF LISTENING TO" etc.
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

JohnS

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2002, 05:06:53 am »

As for handling "sub" genre's I've just started using filters in my View Schemes..
This makes it easier to "find" the Soundtrack when you have things that have been classified by CDDB as Film Soundtrack, General Soundtrack, etc.

Does this negate the need to use a custom field for a sub-genre or am I missing something?

(Haven't started working with playlists in depth yet..)
Pages: [1]   Go Up