INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art  (Read 4073 times)

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
Cover Art
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:12:21 am »

Hi there,

Very new to JRiver so I thought I'd set it to bring in all my informations from iTunes including Artwork alas not all the artwork has transferred and I don't appear to be able to import Cover art from the Internet is this because this function is not yet enabled?

Mac OS ML.

Many thanks, Tim.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:37:27 am »

Welcome.  Cover art lookup may not be working yet.  Soon.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:18:44 am »

Hi there,

Thank you for your quick response, but there's always a but when I import my iTunes library some of the album artworks appears but not a lot yet my iTunes library has all its artwork. 

When I've imported my FLAC which doesn't have much artwork again some artwork does arrive.

Thought this might be of use to your development.

Of course when I try to import a single piece of artwork from the Internet it does not appear to save so that bit does not work.

Again many thanks for all your hard work.

Tim.

Kestrel

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:09:42 pm »

Hi, First off I'd like to thank the guys at JRiver for a great start with MC for Mac it sounds great already . Concerning missing cover art I thought I'd share something I stumbled upon which is working for me. With MC and iTunes both open click on the missing cover art in iTunes to expand the view and show thebtrack listing, right click on any track and select 'get info', in the resulting window choose the artwork tab then drag and drop the cover art onto the desktop and click ok to close the info pane, next click the album to hide the track list and then right click and select 'get info' then drag and drop the cover art on your desktop into the box marked 'artwork' click ok to close the window, now close MC and reopen your cover art should now be present.
This has been working for me and hopefully it will work for others. I've also been doing several at once to speed things up a bit. Good luck.

Pete

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:48:17 pm »

iTunes handles artwork a little strange.
Most of it is not stored inside the music file but only resides in the iTunes "database".
It is possible however to store artwork inside the files, too.

Here you can find a lot of scripts that are useful for iTunes.
Under "Artwork" there are scripts that embed covers, so JRiver MC can see them.

One trick:
iTunes imports covers automatically - but only in 300x300 resolution.
To get really sharp covers (600x600) with good colors in iTunes, you first have to erase the "automatic" covers and then let iTunes  search for covers for the (selected) files again.
This will result in 600x600 covers in high quality.

Afterwards you have to embed the new covers (by using the script) into the file(s).
Even iTunes 11 doesn't do that automatically as my tests have shown.

Thats a lot of work, but in the end you have beautiful covers in bright colors.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 05:31:03 am »

Hi there,

Many thanks Kestrel I tried that earlier but missed out the shutting down of MC18 and restarting it so I must try that shortly.

Thanks Fred 1 I guess your work around is second on my list but I've now decided to use my Squeezebox FLAC track music which has very little cover art something I will have to go on a quick learning curve to rectify and then hopefully use Kestrel's solution to add cover art if that fails it going to be using your suggestions or perhaps wait until the JRiver guys have sorted cover art.

THanks everyone for your replies.

Again many thanks, Tim.

nycjazz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:54:35 am »

Ok, so I transferred my 2000 CDs I used to have in FLAC with the art cover within each file.  All music was indexed correctly on MC, but none of the covers transferred!   I cannot use the internet search for some many albums (this is a third of my collection only) and all covers are specific to the music stored (e..g, MFSL, DCC, etc). 

Is this feature not enabled yet where I can import a library in FLAC with the coverart found in each file? 

Thanks

sgallaghe

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 04:04:48 pm »

As long as the topic has been posted, let me expand.

The main reason I looked for an iTunes substitute as a library manager is that iTunes 11 removed the ability to show album artwork in the lower left part of the left pane. Though they screwed up in removing this feature, they did many things right that MC should emulate:

1. I want to be able to view album artwork for songs that aren't playing. Much of my time in iTunes is using it as a library manager, not as a player. Seems like MC only shows artwork for the song that's playing. I'd like to be able to show (or not show) album artwork in a separate box, preferably by something simple like a button, Show/Hide artwork.

2. I finally got artwork to show in the Display window for a song that's playing, but that could learn a lot from the way iTunes handles it and add it to song selected, not necessarily song playing.

2.1. Why is the artwork rotated several degrees to the right? That's done for effect only

2.2. Why is there a fake shadow underneath the artwork? That's done for effect only

2.3. Why is the artwork surrounded with white space? That's done for effect only

2.4. Why doesn't the artwork grow to full the entire frame?

2.5. Clicking on the artwork should expand it to full scale, whether the base image is 300x300 or 600x600. Straight on, no rotation, no shadow, no added white space.

I've spent literally hundreds of hours getting all my album from the highest res possible and standardizing on 600x600, that's what I want to see in something called "display" and I want to see it if the song's playing or not.

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 06:27:26 pm »

{snipped}
1. I want to be able to view album artwork for songs that aren't playing. Much of my time in iTunes is using it as a library manager, not as a player. Seems like MC only shows artwork for the song that's playing. I'd like to be able to show (or not show) album artwork in a separate box, preferably by something simple like a button, Show/Hide artwork.
{snipped}

First, it's worthwhile pointing out that at this alpha stage not all artwork is even showing up, and the full-speed browser (theater view) is not yet implemented, and the file view isn't showing thumbs without crashing--(though hover works :) )--all of which I'm sure will eventually get fixed (based on the design and the Windows version) :)

But even with the MC alpha, I don't really know what you mean by not being able to "view album artwork for songs that aren't playing."

MC has multiple views. So are you in the "Now Playing" view (the tree on the left?). Otherwise, I can see all the album artwork for every song just by browsing to a different view while a song is playing.

When it's fixed, if you want to work with individual files or playlists, you should just be able to change the list style and see thumbnails for each file. No button needed.

In other words, the album art is "always" present (bugs aside). 

sgallaghe

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 08:07:17 pm »

First, it's worthwhile pointing out that at this alpha stage not all artwork is even showing up, and the full-speed browser (theater view) is not yet implemented, and the file view isn't showing thumbs without crashing--(though hover works :) )--all of which I'm sure will eventually get fixed (based on the design and the Windows version) :)

But even with the MC alpha, I don't really know what you mean by not being able to "view album artwork for songs that aren't playing."

MC has multiple views. So are you in the "Now Playing" view (the tree on the left?). Otherwise, I can see all the album artwork for every song just by browsing to a different view while a song is playing.

When it's fixed, if you want to work with individual files or playlists, you should just be able to change the list style and see thumbnails for each file. No button needed.

In other words, the album art is "always" present (bugs aside). 

No, I'm in the Panes View.

This is the view I'm used to in iTunes. Across the top are three Panes, Genre/Artist/Album.

Below that is a list view of everything I've imported. I've gotten rid of the thumbnail on the far left of each entry because it's so small as to be useless.

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03:01 pm »

Use large thumbs list style below your panes.   I love this config.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 07:24:41 pm »

I can't find it on the wiki cover art page.  How do I get all artwork once the album has already been imported previously?  I can't find it.   :(
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:36 pm »

Select a few files, right click and choose Cover Art/Get from Internet. 

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:04:08 pm »

Select a few files, right click and choose Cover Art/Get from Internet. 
Ah OK.  I can select (2) files at once and it works.  If I select > (2) it doesn't work. 

I'm surprised there isn't a simple command like "Get all artwork".
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 08:59:55 am »

Ah OK.  I can select (2) files at once and it works.  If I select > (2) it doesn't work. 

I'm surprised there isn't a simple command like "Get all artwork".
It should work for many files, we'll look into it.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 09:03:56 am »

It should work for many files, we'll look into it.
Thanks!

Is there any way to have one command to get all of it?  If not, is there a way to put in a feature request?

My podcast:

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 09:07:58 am »

If not, is there a way to put in a feature request?
It's now on the list of proposed features, thanks!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 09:09:08 am »

It's now on the list of proposed features, thanks!

My podcast:

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 07:42:28 am »

Hi there,

Well for me bought the Windows version for a few machines and since then all my art work has appeared correctly thus far.

So thanks guys great product even for a BETA.

Tim.

Audioclyde

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 08:09:50 am »

Is there a way to drag and drop cover art?  I can't get cover art for my DSD files that I've imported; I've tried all the options (and read all the threads I can find).  When I try to select from file or the options, while me art jpg file appears in the file/folder I'm looking in, I'm unable to select the jpg...

Thanks,

Randy

jriley1762

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 12:15:21 pm »

Sometimes JRiver hangs when I grabbing cover art from the internet and when I try to reboot JRiver I can't quit since it states I'm running a tool "Get Cover Art". I have to Force Quit to reboot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up