INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Nexus 7 not showing up in devices - MC18  (Read 8967 times)

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
Google Nexus 7 not showing up in devices - MC18
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:16:26 pm »

I recently bought a Nexus 7 here in the UK. It appears in Windows 7 explorer under Portable Devices - not as a regular removable drive (but I can open and browse it in explorer). However it is not appearing in MC under Drives & Devices at all.

Any suggestions welcome. Perhaps I need to somehow get Windows 7 to mount it as a regular drive?

Thanks, Alfie.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Google Nexus 7 not showing up in devices - MC18
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:40:16 pm »

Bump... anyone have Nexus 7 working?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:29:17 pm »

What are you trying to do with it?   Are you trying to sync media files to it?  If so, did you try the Sync to Handheld option in the Action Window (lower left corner)?

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:17:34 am »

Thanks for the reply. Yes would like to sync music and photos to it initially. Ultimately I'd like to sync video and have MC automatically transcode HD video down to a lower bitrate...

I did try Sync Handheld. It says "Searching for handhelds..." then "No handhelds found". Maybe it's something to do with MTP and/or the way the device appears in Explorer - it's not a regular drive but appears under Portable Devices in My Computer. When I connect the Nexus, a Window pops up and offers to sync with Windows Media Player, so the device is being recognised.

Can't imagine I'm the only one with a Nexus 7 and didn't see any other posts on the forum from people with issues, so really looking for confirmation that others have this working, which would then point to something in my setup.

Alfie.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:58:59 am »

I tried switching the Nexus from MTP to PTP mode and it then appeared as a camera in Windows but still doesn't appear in MC. It doesn't appear to have a regular mass storage / USB drive mode like some other Android devices.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:00 pm »

Nexus 7 and 10 owner here. I have had no issues getting it to show up as a drive but you need to install the drivers for it. Google has them so just get that installed and you should be golden.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 06:03:07 am »

Hi, thanks for the reply! Do you mean the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) USB driver from Asus or something else?

A link would be very useful.

Cheers, Alfie.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »

Sorry for late reply. http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=28&s=2&m=Nexus+7&os=&hashedid=WzTziL1xapnpDNwF

usb_driver was the file I got from Google at the time but asus has this online also.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:40:19 am »

Installed the driver. Now in MTP mode Nexus does not show up at all and in PTP mode behaves as before - appears as a camera in Windows but nothing in MC.

:S

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:20:41 pm »

My experience, don't know if it will be usefull. PC win 7 x64 SP1, Asus Nexus 7 32 GB WiFi only, Installed drivers With Nexus 7 Toolkit (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195) Tablet is rooted, encrypted, and shows up in Drives & Devices as "Nexus 7".
Have NOT tried syncying because I have on PC about 650 GB of music, movies and pics. A little to much for the Nexus  ;D, AND I don't know if I can sync one way or limit sync to some folders only...
For now I just copy the music or movies I want to take with me ....

EDIT: forgot: right pane shows the media present on the device by artist and albums.

EDIT 2: One of the reasons I rooted the tablet is because with an USB-OTG Cable & an App called Stickmount (the paid version) I can connect an external 1 Tera USB Drive and read/write NTFS, obviously also play music or movies on that external disk ;)

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:07:17 am »

I had fiddled with the USB settings on my Nexus 7 in order to get Carbon to work. I wish I could remember what I did but cant.
I rarely plug my nexus 7 to my pc. I do everything over wifi, Hooking it up to my PC brings back memories of the dark ages when I had a IOS device :(.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:00:17 pm »

Last on Nexus 7 the original: Reset to factory went to android 4.3. NON rooted (yet  ;D )

MC is 18.0.212.

Attached screen showing Nexus connected to MC.

Just for those who ask, I use 1by1 directory player on the nexus with a medium quality headset or powered speakers, but it's most for some music on the go. Just copy the music via explorer to nexus

nitephlight

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 02:17:22 pm »

Last on Nexus 7 the original: Reset to factory went to android 4.3. NON rooted (yet  ;D )

MC is 18.0.212.

Attached screen showing Nexus connected to MC.

Just for those who ask, I use 1by1 directory player on the nexus with a medium quality headset or powered speakers, but it's most for some music on the go. Just copy the music via explorer to nexus

FWIW now: original Nexus 7 models had documented sync problems for a while. there is / was an app called "Nexus Media Importer" i believe that was a workaround for the issue. good to hear that as of 4.3 they have cleaned up all that mess =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up