INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver video stutters when switching apps  (Read 1124 times)

icstm

• World Citizen
JRiver video stutters when switching apps
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:35:32 pm »

Hi all,

Quick and simple question.

When I switch away from JRiver on a dual monitor so that I can work, whilst having a video play on the TV via JRiver - the video shutters.

It appears quite consistent in that to cure the problem you need to click back on the JRiver video then click on the now playing control bar at the top of the screen. that cures it and you can then click back to the maximised window on the other screen. However if you switch away from that to other program running on that monitor the problems occurs again.

If I run mpc-ht there is no such problem.

Tried both RO modes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver video stutters when switching apps
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:12:33 pm »

At first glance, there are two things I'm thinking it could be:

1. A problem with the video driver on your system.  What kind of GPU are you using, and are you sure you have a current (or well behaved) driver for it?

2. MC's Library is on a slow or network drive.  Where is your Library stored?  Please Note:  By "the Library" I do NOT mean the media files, but the database MC uses to access these files.  This is defined in the Library Manager (under Playing Now in the Tree).  This should always be on a fast, local disk whenever possible.

Also, for further assistance, it would help to know more about your setup.  Can you describe the system in more detail, where the video files in question are stored, and other relevant hardware details?  Thanks.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:47:23 am »

SandyBrige i5 with 8Gb ram.
Local storage of media files and Library.
ATI 6850 GFX card with very stable driver, though a couple old as I was not happy with more recent version.
Main monitor a 19" flatscreen, 2nd monitor a 42" plasma via AVR. I have tried PnP EDID and custum defined. Currently using a defined one.

JRiver plays media fine if it is the program in focus and if it is not fullscreen.
mpc-ht and wmp do not exhibit this problem.

Not sure it is a library problem, browsing the library is not the problem playback is the problem essentially if JRiver is the 3rd last used app or later (ie if it is the focussed app, there is no problem) if you switch to a browser or excel no problem, but try switching between the browser and excel and there will be problems. Fixed by clicking on JRiver on the 2nd screen then clicking on the now playing progress bar at the top (no need to change progress bar position, just click in the grey area).

Could it be the madVR renderer?

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:04:39 am »

Just another thought.
When I try to tell JRiver to switch refresh rates based on the media being played. I cannot see the video modes that I know the screen supports and that I know the ATI driver presents.

For example I cannot see any 1080 modes inc 1080p24 (23).

Could it be that it is looking at the primary monitor rather than the one used for Theatre mode?
Pages: [1]   Go Up