INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "update tags from library" fails with Video  (Read 6437 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
"update tags from library" fails with Video
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:08:19 pm »

MC Helpers,

I painstakingly went through add correctly tagged all of my videos yesterday.  When I tried to "update tags from library" it said every item failed.

So for fun i did "update library from tags" to see what would happen and it changed the tags back to what it was prior to my correcting.

It seems to be working correctly for music right now.

There have been a few times throughout my life with MC that tagging doesn't change the files with music, but now it is happening with video.

FYI, I am on the latest stable build, 112.  Also I always have had "Update Tags When File Info Changes" ticked in Options.  Is this the setting that writes tag changes to the actual file?

Thanks is advance!
Patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: "update tags from library" fails with Video
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »

Build 112? Really? I think there are more recent stable builds, no?

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »

no. Current stable build is 112 (recommended) via update channels.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:41:07 pm »

no. Current stable build is 112 (recommended) via update channels.

OK. I know a LOT of stuff has been fixed in the last 32 builds. Perhaps take a look some of the changelogs to see whether this problem was ever reported and fixed. I'll go check in build 144 and above for you.

Also, do you not like to update the tags on the fly with Options>General>update tags when file info changes?

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:47:27 am »

Yes I have that ticked in my settings and always have.

There were a few builds where this wasn't working on audio files for some strange reason I cannot remember. 

I will upgrade to current build.

-Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:54:15 am »

still failing.  Still reverting the tags back to what I changed them from.  MC changes are non-sticking on video for me.

Thanks again for the help,
Patrick

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:44:38 am »

It definitely works for me in build 144.

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 05:25:54 pm »

Not me  ?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 11:18:44 pm »

Are your files on a NAS? Could there be some sort of permissions issue? Synology? unraid? It just occurred to me that if you have the write tags option checked, it should be automatic.

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 01:50:20 am »

nope.  2TB Seagate.  Everything has always worked properly.

-p

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:49:28 am »

nope.  2TB Seagate.  Everything has always worked properly.

-p

Haven't forgotten you, but am stumped. I looked through the changelogs of builds 113 to 118 and there was no mention of a fix for this. I think the beta team would have picked up on this if it had lingered any longer than that.

Can you try creating a file in the folders of one of your affected videos. BTW are these videos bluray folders or is this problem independent of filetype?

pcstockton

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »

OK,

I think i narrowed it down to one file that wont keep changes, Miles Davis - Live in Europe. I can supply the file to anyone who might be able to help out.

Otherwise ALL videos in which I try to "Update Tags from Library" brings up the Text Box "40 files Updated (40 failures)".  Not sure why it says all Failed.

But I have changed the description on a few other then "Update Library from Tags" and it is NOT reverting, all is well.  All except for that Miles DVD.

So in summary, The Miles DVD changes aren't sticking, and all "Update Tags from Library" say that they failed.

Thanks again for helping!
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:27:51 pm »

I started looking around for "non-common elements" to correlate to the "non-common effects" I was experiencing.  I found a file in the Video_TS folder of the Miles DVD that I didn't find anywhere else.  It was a "sidecar" file of some kind.  I deleted it now everything is working on that DVD for tagging.

One note though, MC still reports that every item "Fails" when I "Update Tags from Library".

Thanks,
Patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 06:52:25 pm »

It definitely seems like your files are write locked in some way.

Have you tried taking permissions and ownership of the whole file structure (from the top) in Windows?  It is like the folders don't have write permissions, but the files do, or something like that.  Or they're owned by a "dead user" on the system (a GUID that doesn't match a username).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pcstockton

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:32:14 pm »

Thanks Glynor!

OK.  I am a little bit of an idiot here.  I googled how to set permissions and I am stuck.  I do not have a "Security" Tab in Right-Click preferences on folder.

For what it is worth I am the only owner ever on this PC.  And I am an admin (i am assuming).

Also, tagging is being written it appears.  It just says "Failed".  ?

-patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 08:12:20 pm »

OK.  I am a little bit of an idiot here.  I googled how to set permissions and I am stuck.  I do not have a "Security" Tab in Right-Click preferences on folder.

In Windows Explorer, like this:

If you are already trying it that way, and you have no Security tab, then something is very weird about the disk itself, or the permissions above that folder on disk.  Describe your setup more.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 08:52:39 pm »

Ah, now we have some more info. All video files are associated with a sidecar file in MC. That is a file that stores all the tags. When you write the tags from the library, it is this file that is written to.
Here's a plan of action:

Choose a file from your video library.

Do a "Update tags from library". If everything you say is correct, it should fail.

Now right-click on the file's row in MC's standard view. Go to locate> on disk external.

This will open the folder of the video file in Windows Explorer. You should see a "*_sidecar.xml" file for every video file you have in that folder.

Choose the one for the video you picked in MC, and remove it form that folder. You may delete it, or move it.

Now return to MC and go to the video file's entry in your MC library. It should still be selected.

Try running "Update tags from library" again. Hopefully it won't fail.

If you return to Windows Explorer, you'll see that MC has created a new "*_sidecar.xml" file in the place of the one you removed.

In the worst case scenario, you can do a search in Windows for all your "*_sidecar.xml" files and delete them, then rewrite them in MC.

If the "Update tags from library" fails again, you definitely have a write permissions problem, and hopefully we can help you with that.

pcstockton

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 09:00:28 pm »

OK... getting stranger.

Glynor,

I dont have that when I right click ANY folder anywhere?  I only get General Sharing and Customize.  Three tabs.  This is an XP (SP3) PC if that matters.  Nothing out of the ordinary is running.  I am the only "account" on the PC.  Running 18.144

Fitbrit,

I dont have any sidecar files anywhere in my video folders.  I only had one and that was in my Miles folder.  Once I deleted it I could get the tags to stick.

Thanks again for the help fellas,
Patrick

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »

Also, tagging is being written it appears.  It just says "Failed".  ?

-patrick

It can't be written if there is no sidecar file, unless it creates one. Problem is that it cannot create one. Perhaps it's a nomenclature issue? When you say the tags are sticking, do you just mean within MC?

Could you have some kind of firewall or security software that is preventing MC from writing or creating new files? Something overzealous would cause such problems.

pcstockton

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 09:43:03 pm »

By "sticking" I mean they are being written to the file.

Previously, before I deleted that sidecar, "Update Library from Tags" would revert back to the original I had changed.

They still all state "Failed" now but seem to be working anyway.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »

By "sticking" I mean they are being written to the file.

Previously, before I deleted that sidecar, "Update Library from Tags" would revert back to the original I had changed.

They still all state "Failed" now but seem to be working anyway.

OK, I'm confused. How do you know they are 'being written to the file'?
Pages: [1]   Go Up