INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSF Playback and JMARK  (Read 2193 times)

Ashok.Gopalakrishnan

DSF Playback and JMARK
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:44 am »

Hello all,

I am a new member here and would like to say hello to all. Presently running trial version of JRiver 18, build 106.

I understand that a JMARK value of 2500 or higher is recommended for playback of DSF files. Is this the recommended number even for DSD-capable DACs, or is it recommended only for cases where the DSF or DFF file needs to be converted to PCM on the fly?

The reason I ask is that my dedicated music playback computer is based on the Intel DN2800MT motherboard, and the JRMARK is 650. The DAC I am using at present is the Meridian Explorer (up to 24 bits, 192kHz, not DSD capable).

I do not have any problems playing back PCM up to the DAC's maximum capability. DSF files at 2.8224MHz also playback fine. I have the DSP output configured to restrict maximum sampling frequency to 192kHz. But DSD128 (5.6448MHz) playback goes into buffering every 10-15s.

Hence the reason for my question. If I could be reasonably sure that the JRMARK value is not that critical if the DSD data can be sent to the DAC without conversion, I can get by with my present PC, and a DSD-capable DAC.

Thank you!!

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: DSF Playback and JMARK
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »

There are couple things involved:

1. 2.0 Stereo DSD files can be not compressed and passed directly as DSD to DAC.
2. 2.0 Stereo DSD files can be compressed by DST [think WAV versus FLAC]
3. DSD files can be converted to PCM
4. 5.1 DSD files can be converted to 2.0 Stereo

1. Does not require a lot of CPU power, 2. Require little more power. 3 and 4 may need a lot of power. [Especially 4 at high settings -> it chocked my 2 core 2000mhz athlon 64]

So DSD dac can accept 1 and 2 directly so the computer can be slower. for PCM dac the conversions have to be made on the Computer side hence more power are needed.
What mark exactly? My Jmark was in the range of 1200 and have no real problem with 1 and 2 [as I have DSD dac]. I did have problems with 3 and 4.

Obviously it is also related whether you are using your computer exclusively for JRiver or there are other processes running...
[I have a computer dedicated to JRiver only in Theatre Mode connected directly to plasma tv run by universal remote]

Hope that helps.
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

Ashok.Gopalakrishnan

Re: DSF Playback and JMARK
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:17:13 pm »

Thanks for the reply, that does help. It looks like the DSD-PCM conversion is CPU-intensive and is the cause for the buffering. I am planning to get a DSD DAC soon, and I hope that will alleviate the problem.

My computer is dedicated for JRiver. I run it headless, and use JRemote for controlling music playback. The operating system is Windows 8 64 bit Pro, 4GB RAM. I do not have any other programs running on it, but have not optimized the operating system in any way yet. JRMARK varies between 600 and 700.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up