INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Tag] Multiple genre  (Read 1293 times)

minekey

• Recent member
[Tag] Multiple genre
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:21:32 pm »

Hi,

Often we can't classify an artist with only one style of music. But when we want to mark several genres in tags, this creates just one tag.
For example with the artist Ben Harper, if I class it in folk and rock in my tags, I'll find a tag [Folk Rock]. However, I would like to make that the artist Ben Harper appears in the genre [Folk] and gender [Rock].

Hence my question, can I mark several separate genres in the tags?
Thanks

(A french user, forgive my English).

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: [Tag] Multiple genre
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:30 pm »

Yes, Genre is a list type.  Just enter the values separated by a semicolon.  Here's the genre reference in specific, but you might find this wiki entry useful in general:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29#Genre
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

minekey

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:09:48 pm »

Awesome!

Thanks a lot.

Al ex

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:16:20 pm »

Yes, Genre is a list type.  Just enter the values separated by a semicolon.  Here's the genre reference in specific, but you might find this wiki entry useful in general:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29#Genre

Just discovered this - great!

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:27:22 am »

You can also set up a secondary field called for example Genres (note the plural)

in options managing fields etc reclassify your new field to a "Calculated Data" Field and paste this in the expression box

Code: [Select]
[genre]&datatype=[list]
In your views, change from Genre to the new Genre(s) field (or whatever you called it) and you will see the multiple genres parsed -- meaning you will not see eg. alt. metal;hard rock but alt. metal and hard rock will be separate either by artist or via searches.  Another benefit is for tagging -- you will have check boxes instead of typing in semi-colons and avoid spelling goofs; the original Genre field is filled in automatically btw -- also can be used for artist, styles etc. changing [genre] in the expression to the appropriate semi-colon delimited field.

Someone posted this here a couple of years ago but can't find the original to give them credit (thank you !)
Pages: [1]   Go Up