INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theaterview display and sort  (Read 1684 times)

alspoll

• World Citizen
Theaterview display and sort
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:21:24 am »

All,

I have a question about theater view display and sorts for my video files....

Here's how my files are tagged:
Series (ex Mobile Suit Gundam)
Series Description (ex Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO, Gundam Wing 79, Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team, etc)
Name (name of the episode)
Catalog # (used to sort the episodes in the correct order for each series since I cannot sort by name; 1, 2, 3, ...)

What I am doing today which works as I want:
In theater view, I have a view that displays Series and sorts it by series and then catalog # so that for all the episodes in a series across all series description in a series are correctly ordered.

What I would like to do is to collapse this down a little so I do not have to scroll through hundreds of episodes to get to the next episode to watch. The view I want to create is:
Series -> Series Description -> Episodes

So I setup up Series -> Series Description in theater view but I would like to sort the series description under series in the correct order, but right now it is doing based on the alphabet.

I then setup a series description sort which would order the series description in the correct order and under "sort rules for display", i have ordered it by series -> series description sort -> catalog#, but it appears to be ignoring series description sort (which is a user field integer) but it correctly displays series and catalog #.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Is there a way to "sort rules for display" each category separately, with different parameters for display rather then the 1 "sort rules for display"?

Hope this makes sense, otherwise I can explain further.

TIA,

AL

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Theaterview display and sort
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »

The Sort rules for file display sorts the file list, not categories.

You want to select the sort order shown in the category (e.g. Under Details for the view item, select Edit > Settings: Sorting and select one of the predefined sort orders.

You can add more sort orders be creating a Preset in any Standard View's tab: Sort Inside Groups By > Custom > Preset.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »

The Sort rules for file display sorts the file list, not categories.

Thanks for your help.

That makes sense...

So I got the standard view set up as I want:
Show categories in this order: Series -> Series Description

It correctly lists all the series in the expected order.

I can then select a series name and then i am presented with 2 options under view:
Series Description or Files

I then select series description and then I have the unique series descriptions sorted in the correct order based on series description sort values.

I can then select a series description and am presented with the files based on the sort order of catalog #.

When i add this view into theaterview, it has all the series AND the individual series descriptions on the 1st level, not what I want.

I would want a way to select categories, have a sort rules for category option and then have the separate option to sort rules for file display.

TIA,

AL

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:06:10 pm »

So looking little further, I see there are sorting options for categories, but one cannot select user defined fields.

If user defined fields can be added, I THINK(?) that should help my situation.

I am open to any other ideas.

TIA,

AL

MrC

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:06:42 am »

You can. Define a custom preset as I mentioned above.  The custom preset can use your user field.  Once the preset is defined, it appears in the category sort list.

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:43:26 am »

You can. Define a custom preset as I mentioned above.  The custom preset can use your user field.  Once the preset is defined, it appears in the category sort list.

I got it to work as you stated, I did not save it as a preset (helps to read...)

2 other questions I hope someone can help with...

Is there a way to remove the "All Series" and "All Series Descriptions" from each series subcategory?
In theater view I saved a series poster which displays correctly but when I select series and see the individual series description, it shows the 1st thumbnail from the stack. Is there a way to save a poster at this level as well?

Looking a little further, I can just change the 1st episode for each series description and change its image file to the poster and it displays correctly. Only when you go to the episode list it looks a little weird, poster for image caps, but that's OK, unless there are is another idea.

TIA,

AL

MrC

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art#Artist_.26_Series_Images

Thank you. Right before you posted the link, I figured out I can use the Artist field to do what I want.

Thank you very much for your help MrC!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up