INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meta Data  (Read 1681 times)

berrnie

Meta Data
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:31:21 am »

Hello:
Just downloaded version 18.0.146.  All I have to say is WOW!  Superior Sound from my audio files.  This software does so many things that I can't even imagine touching a quarter of them.  Mostly wanted a better sound quality than I was getting from iTunes.  MC seems to have such a vibrant sound with my Audio-Technica headphones.  My question is:  When I make audio recordings with iTunes or Audacity I can edit the audio information that goes with the file (I think it's called meta data, please correct me if I'm wrong).  Cover art, band name, year,...etc.  How do I do that with MC?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Meta Data
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:03:33 am »

You can hit F2 (?), to tag the data in the lists you're in. Or you can use the action window and tag window in the lower left corner of standard view. Remember to use the icon in the top left of the action window to show more tags if they are not visible.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:53:54 am »

Editing the meta data is called Tagging.

(You can search topic titles or search the wiki for that.)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:17:41 am »

Does tagging write some information directly into a given file, or are all entries stored in the MC database only? One example is pictures, is it possible to edit the EXIF tags in MC such that the EXIF info is actually stored in the image file?

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:18:00 am »

There's an option to write to file, for each library field. This is located under Options -> Library & folders -> Manage Library Fields...
If the info can be written to the files, and this option are selected, it will do so. If the file can not be written to (some types of music and video files for example), MC will create sidecar files in most cases to store the info. I'm not sure about image files. The library always contains the changes as well, of course.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:12:11 am »

Thanks, never explored these settings. Seems that Keyword in MC == Tag in Windows Explorer (which can be set in Explorer), and it was ticked by default. Need to go through the tags to make sure alll relevant tags are saved to file.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 05:56:53 am »

Keywords are the words used in searches for specific tags in the search fields in standard view. Example: "al=In Utero" in the search box will give only albums with "In Utero". These should have no relations to windows explorer data as far as I know.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »

Keywords are the words used in searches for specific tags in the search fields in standard view. Example: "al=In Utero" in the search box will give only albums with "In Utero". These should have no relations to windows explorer data as far as I know.

But they seems to do. Today, I have added tags to my recent project images; scan-old-photos-with-my-too-expensive-semipro-scanner. Added tags in win explorer. And they pop up in MC as keywords. The strange thing is that this is not the case for all image files. Tags added to some mobile cam shots and really old digital photos don't.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 03:07:22 am »

You talk about the TAG named Keywords? In that case, you're probably right. I was taking of the Keywords that's used to search specific tag data. Sorry. I had my head in the options section :)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 06:40:08 am »

You talk about the TAG named Keywords? In that case, you're probably right. I was taking of the Keywords that's used to search specific tag data. Sorry. I had my head in the options section :)

Yep, the TAG :-) Sorry for the confusion. I still learned something, so all's good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up